WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to purchase a Mk XVI (with bracelet), I love the simplicity and style of this watch. As a watch wearer I put the watch on and leave it on. I currently wear a UN Marine Chronometer (water resistance is 200m). I never take it off. I swim with it, shower with it on, wash dishes with it on. I very rarely take it off say except for if I was in a sauna or in a jacuzzi.

Now for IWC Mk XVI what are owners & members thoughts on its ability to handle this water exposure :-s(water resistance is 60m!), say in particular swimming, i.e beach or pool swimming (not diving)and other situations explained above.

Thanks, Shadow

·
Registered
838 Posts
Also curious. I have one inbound. I realize it's not a 200m diver, but I plan on showering and swimming with it occasionally.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
IWC rates the Mark XVI at 6 bar, which according to my IWC book, 3 bar is safe for swimming or skiing. At 6 bar which the Mark XVI is, IWC states that the watch will have no problems with water sports or snorkeling.

I just purchased a 3717 and I have my reservations with taking it into the pool, but as soon as I get a waterproof strap, I'm doing it. IWC says I can so I might as well trust them, I'm sure they did plenty of tests before the watch made it to my wrist.

·
Premium Member
887 Posts
If you consider 60m to be 180 feet, then the MK XVI should be more than adequate for even professional sport free divers. My only concern would be for the strap that is on the watch, as most are not water resistant. Consider the bracelet, a rubber strap or a Nato for swimming. Neither you nor Karmatp should be concerned, especially Karma with the 3717.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I wouldn't do that. Even a 100 mt WR watch is not completely water safe. You may just get a foggy display but a hard impact with water during a simple swim may be even more detrimental to it. Why you want to take such a risk ?? It's a beautiful watch but clearly not ready and not styled for water.

·
Registered
10,803 Posts
I just purchased a 3717 and I have my reservations with taking it into the pool, but as soon as I get a waterproof strap, I'm doing it.
That's the main reason why I wouldn't go into the pool with my 3717. The strap. But I have two Omega drivers for pool use so I won't bother upgrading the strap.

PS, I got an IWC rubber strap I can sell which fits the 3717. PM me if interested. Brand new.

·
Registered
10,803 Posts
I wouldn't do that. Even a 100 mt WR watch is not completely water safe. You may just get a foggy display but a hard impact with water during a simple swim may be even more detrimental to it. Why you want to take such a risk ?? It's a beautiful watch but clearly not ready and not styled for water.
I don't see it as any more of a risk to go swimming in it then diving with a divers watch. If IWC indicates its safe, then it should be covered under warranty. Not sure about the MARK but the 3717 comes with a screw in crown.

See water resistance rates from IWC.
IWC Schaffhausen | Branch of Richemont International SA | Fine Timepieces From Switzerland | Water Resistant

·
Editor
1,753 Posts
I don't see it as any more of a risk to go swimming in it then diving with a divers watch. If IWC indicates its safe, then it should be covered under warranty. Not sure about the MARK but the 3717 comes with a screw in crown.

See water resistance rates from IWC.
IWC Schaffhausen | Branch of Richemont International SA | Fine Timepieces From Switzerland | Water Resistant
The Mark XVI also has a screw in crown. Both should be safe for swimming, just make sure you have mounted the proper strap ;)

·
Registered
103 Posts
i dont want to swim with any watch less than 100 m water resist. in face i shun watches with less than 100 m water resist. because of that added risk.

so the problem becomes how do i wash it with strong flowing water?

·
Registered
10,803 Posts
i dont want to swim with any watch less than 100 m water resist. in face i shun watches with less than 100 m water resist. because of that added risk.

so the problem becomes how do i wash it with strong flowing water?
\

I do agree here too. I only swim with diver watches. But at the same time, I would expect my IWC 3717 to be able to handle swimming.

·
Editor
1,753 Posts
\

I do agree here too. I only swim with diver watches. But at the same time, I would expect my IWC 3717 to be able to handle swimming.
When I had my IW3717 I also never swam with it. It should be possible though.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
I have the 3717 with bracelet and I have been bringing it to the pool for swim every weekend. As long the crown is properly screwed, it should not be a problem. Ofg for those with 3717, pls do not push the chrono underwater.

cheers

·
Registered
10,803 Posts
When I had my IW3717 I also never swam with it. It should be possible though.
If I didn't already have two diver watches, I probably would use that nice divers strap you sent me and swim with the 3717. But as I have the right 'tools', I may as well use them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts