WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this same thread in the IWC forum, and thought I might get some GO fans in this forum to comment. I am contemplating the IWC Portofino (5101-02) with the GO Senator Observer and am curious as to your opinion of which would you choose and why. My goal is to buy a watch that I can wear with a suit, which I wear most every day, and that I can hand down to my son. Budget is $10,000 - both are in that ballpark.

Glashutte-original-Senator-Observer-grey1.jpg jomashop_2249_553508902 (1).jpg

·
Registered
540 Posts
Senator Observer by a vast margin.

If I may, in the 7-days reserve IWC models, the Portuguese is much more iconic and still within your budget, that would make the choice much more complicated, at least for me...

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I prefer 44mm+ and not a chronograph. So, while I admire the Portuguese, it is not in the mix. All the Portuguese are under 44mm, are chronos, or are way out of my price range.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I was trying to decide between these two. I went back and forth. I finally decided on the GO... but in the end purchased a slightly used GO Senator Chronograph. My reasoning between your two choices was the fact that the portofino was a bit more formal in appearance and I am more of an informal type guy. Moreover, I had heard some negative things about the IWC 8 day calibre in terms of time accuracy. The GO Senator Chronograph is a bit more formal than the GO Senator Observer and to be honest--- that watch is still on my list but the IWC is no longer.

·
Registered
92 Posts
No contest - the GO Senator Observer! (Also not a bad name for a watch in Ottawa).

I am nor sure that IWC and GO are really equivalent. GO makes every movement in-house with obsessive attention to detail, while IWC sells mostly modified ETA movements (though they do make some in-house movements and appear to be expanding their in-house offerings).

·
Registered
126 Posts
One more for the GO, not even in the same class as the IWC IMHO

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
definitely in this case the GO!

I'm a fan of IWC, but this portofino looks ugly. The hands look so similar you will probably get the time wrong. The dial also looks so haphazard and illegible.

·
Moderator High-end watches
3,603 Posts
Although not fan of that date window on the GO i'd still pick it up in this case, it has a classic design that will stand the test of time. The IWC Portuguese 7 days would be a much better contender than the Portofino shown above, but still i'd choose the GO over it...less common and top notch quality timepiece.

Reactions: Galactic Sushiman

·
Banned
52 Posts
GO for sure, looks classy, and is an in-house movement, not to mention a little rarer than the IWC

1 - 11 of 11 Posts