WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am torn between the two watches below. Personally, I enjoy the IWC with the silver face, but with a black strap, best. However, I am not sure whether it is worth the extra 1K. I am trying to find a timeless and classy peice under 3500 that makes a real statement. What are your thoughts on the two I am considering; feel free to provide insight and I am always open to other suggestions. Please note that I am 24 years old and am also looking for a watch that will be impressive/recognizable to others (sorry to sound pretentious). Thanks for your input.

· Registered
4,585 Posts
Tough one I think, but personally I like the looks of the B&M better, it's dressier (if that's what you want) and the IWC just looks too "round" and a bit plain for my tastes. I'm also not a real big fan of chronos, I have a couple but rarely use the chrono function. Also, I like having a big sweeping seconds hand on a watch going all the time and I don't like the seconds hand just sitting there doing nothing on a chrono when the chrono function isn't being used (which isn't very often).

But, that's only my feeling on it anyway.

· Registered
200 Posts
Please note that I am 24 years old and am also looking for a watch that will be impressive/recognizable to others (sorry to sound pretentious). Thanks for your input.
I'm not sure if either IWC or B&M are "recognizable to others" in the mainstream sense. I'd get a Tag or a Movado if you're looking for something "everyone" will recognize.

· Registered
13,028 Posts
Unless it's a Rolex, it's highly unlikely that anyone you meet will recognize or be impressed by an IWC or Baume.
You should just get the one you like best.
You could get a decent used Datejust in that range that folks will recognize.

· Premium Member
2,655 Posts
I'm partial to the B&M. That watch has been on my radar for quite some time now. Let us know what you do and post some photos.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all for the input - please keep it coming. The datejust is unfortunately to small for me. I have a tag for my sports watch. Recognizeable may have been the wrong term to use. I want something that looks impressive/expensive/powerful without arousing suspicion that my rollie is fake.

· Registered
16,093 Posts
The Portofino manages to jazz up a regularly boring dial with the chronograph, but it has a day-date complication. The Baume is too dressy for my taste. But in this case, I think I'd take the B&M between the two.

However, no one knows what IWC or Baume et Mercier are. Rolex, Tag Heuer, and Omega are likely the most recognizable brands to the layman.

· Registered
5,909 Posts
Both are good brands but it's really up to you. You need to try them on and see what looks better on your wrist. A few questions. What size are you comfortable with? Do you like white/silver or black dials better? Do you prefer a chrono or non chrono?

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Both are good brands but it's really up to you. You need to try them on and see what looks better on your wrist. A few questions. What size are you comfortable with? Do you like white/silver or black dials better? Do you prefer a chrono or non chrono?
I want something between 40 and 43mm. I like white/silver better, only because it is more versatile. I am indifferent between chrono or not, however, without is a bit more dressy/elegant.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
To impress... either a Rolex or a Tag.
Look good ... neither the IWC nor the B&M. I'd get the Eterna Soleure Moonphase.
I tend to disagree. To look like every other 24 year old with a fake rollie or wealthy suburban dad, buy a Rolex or a Tag (Great watches, but thoroughly overplayed and overfaked). B&M makes a chrono that is identical to the Eterna by the way. With one glance at the IWC or B&M in person, it is pretty obvious that you are not wearing a 100 dollar fossil, but I understand what you mean.

· Registered
285 Posts
The Portofino manages to jazz up a regularly boring dial with the chronograph, but it has a day-date complication. The Baume is too dressy for my taste. But in this case, I think I'd take the B&M between the two.

However, no one knows what IWC or Baume et Mercier are. Rolex, Tag Heuer, and Omega are likely the most recognizable brands to the layman.
Agreed. I have a different B&M Classima and my boss noticed I was wearing a new watch, but had no clue what Baume & Mercier (he has a Tag) and I work in finance.

To the OP - three points:

1) In general (obviously there are exceptions) beats B&M any day of the week.
2) Have you tried them on in person? I'm not a nig fan of either. While the open balance on the B&M looks cool in pictures, in reality it got me dizzy when I looked at it on my wrist. Regarding the IWC, the small subdial throws off the symmetry and the style of the chrono pushers seem off for the watch.
3) For under $3,500 you can get some really great watches that'll kick those two. Check out the IWC Pilot Chrono or Spitfire, Omega Speedy Pro, Omega Planet Ocean or Aqua Terra 8500 to name a few.

Good luck!

· Registered
87 Posts
This particular white/silver faced Port can be difficult to find. Instead, the new SIHH Port Chrono is more modern looking (IMO) and a little bigger (42 mm) but will be more expensive and less likely to get as good a discount. I think those Baumes are nice enough, but as a brand, IWC would have more staying power for sure. True the is IWC's entry line, but in the horological world, IWC is still a highly respected powerhouse. I would put Baume along the same tier as Maurice and maybe Tag..

Just my two cents

Rich

· Registered
2,319 Posts
I tend to disagree. To look like every other 24 year old with a fake rollie or wealthy suburban dad, buy a Rolex or a Tag (Great watches, but thoroughly overplayed and overfaked). B&M makes a chrono that is identical to the Eterna by the way. With one glance at the IWC or B&M in person, it is pretty obvious that you are not wearing a 100 dollar fossil, but I understand what you mean.
I am guessing you were referring to the B&M Classima Excecutive XL Chrono Calendar which used the same Valjoux 7751 movement similar in dial layout and price to the Eterna but it was not a monopusher; B&M had a monopusher for $30K. I am not putting down IWC and B&M in any way, I own both IWC and B&M myself. I just think that Eterna makes some very impressive watches, such as the Kontiki 1000M diver and the Porsche Design Indicator, is often overlooked.

· Registered
16,093 Posts
I want something between 40 and 43mm. I like white/silver better, only because it is more versatile. I am indifferent between chrono or not, however, without is a bit more dressy/elegant.
How is white more versatile than black?

· Registered
728 Posts
If you want something to impress people buy a big convertible sports car, pump iron do steroids and wear a huge gold necklace.:roll:
If you want something that may give you some cred among a bunch of watchnerds go for the IWC.;-)

Belive me; almost nobody will notice your watch unless its a huge blingy thing. And even then people will not recognice what brand it is.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.