WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Our local collector's club in LA, LA Watch Gang, arranged for a special preview of the SIHH 2019 releases at IWC Boutique in Beverly Hills this morning. Thought I would share some photos and a few initial impressions, as an IWC owner and fan.

Here's three generations of the Top Gun Chronograph - the OG and legendary 3705 belonging to a friend, my now discontinued and outgoing 3890 and the new, incoming 3891. I'm really torn over the new 3891. My 3890 is technically the better watch, with a longer power reserve, flyback chrono function and arguably a cleaner dial layout. The 3891 does have a lower price of entry though and makes the Top Gun chrono a bit more accessible.

Same three with the new stealthy Doppel Chrono, which I love, especially the Doppel function. Just awesome.

The new Spitfire's are very nice, has new in-house movements and very compelling for the features and price points.

Here's the much talked about Mojave Desert Top Gun Chrono. I think it's one of those watches that you either hate it or love it. I'm in the latter camp. The tan colored ceramic case is matte, not shiny or plastic looking in some of the initial photos from SIHH. Certainly not a watch that I would recommend as a one and only but if you have a larger collection and want something totally different, this might deserve a close look. IMO IWC nailed it!

The Big Pilot Le Petit Prince continues to be a personal favorite!

This one would be filed under "go big or go home" for a rose gold Big Pilot.

I really liked the new Big Pilot Perpetual Calendar in bronze, although I'm generally not a big fan of bronze. I can't wait to see the new Rodeo Dr version of this one. Although it wasn't on hand to see, here's a picture of it from Monochrome.

·
Premium Member
4,168 Posts
Great photos and thanks for the write up. I think the Spitfires came out real nice, and the in-house movements will take away one of the more frequent criticisms of IWC’s lower priced watches.

·
Premium Member
7,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great photos and thanks for the write up. I think the Spitfires came out real nice, and the in-house movements will take away one of the more frequent criticisms of IWC’s lower priced watches.
Yeah, I agree. Personally I never had an issue with IWC using ETA or Selitta movements in their lower priced watches, my Ingy has a Selitta, but once they apply the new movements across the rest of the lineup, it'll quash a frequent criticism.

How does the spitfire chrono wear in terms of size? I'm very interested in that one.
At 41mm in diameter and about 15mm, I did think it'll be a bit thick, but it wasn't too noticeable in person. It wore well on my 6.75" wrist.

·
Banned
7,741 Posts
I am underwhelmed by what IWC did this year. While I like the brand I don’t think they did anything great for the show. I do like the in house chrono tho (don’t want to just be negative) but if I remember it was rather expensive

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Would they make a Danger Zone model? ;-)
Movie Human Adaptation Photo caption Love

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

Reactions: Perseus

·
Premium Member
38,936 Posts
Very nice. I like the Top Gun. It is a very different look for IWC, but cool, IMHO.

Great photos as well. Wish I had the wrist size to pull some of those off.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Now here's a serious question, if you know please answer, thanks. The original watch in the Top Gun movie was a modified (blackened) Orfina Porche Design watch, lent to Tom to use by another actor. So how did IWC become the official sponsor for Top Gun watches? I am interested to know.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

·
Premium Member
7,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Now here's a serious question, if you know please answer, thanks. The original watch in the Top Gun movie was a modified (blackened) Orfina Porche Design watch, lent to Tom to use by another actor. So how did IWC become the official sponsor for Top Gun watches? I am interested to know.
I think there's a distinction between IWC obtaining a license from the US Navy to use the Top Gun logo on a particular line of watches and the movie. Here's a press release about the US Navy Top Gun licensing and trademark with IWC from years ago: https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/official-statement-iwc-top-gun-watches-142064383.html

I did ask if IWC was involved with Top Gun 2 in any way and I only received a smile and wink. ;-) I think it would be a huge brand miss if an IWC Top Gun watch wasn't featured (on my wrist haha) in next year's movie.

Finally there's a couple of IWC Top Gun watches that is only available to graduates of the Top Gun school that's not available for sale publicly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts