WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, everyone. This time, I'd like to show you some vintage IWC specimens. First, I'd like to know where is exactly the serial number of an IWC watch: it seems that one can find a number either on the internal face of the caseback or engraved on the movement. Which one shall I stick to?

Anyway, I'll infer my specimens' dates of manufacture from the numbers I could see by the pictures. Here it goes:

#1: 1949 IWC, serial 1193114 (caseback), cal. 89, solid gold case, 37 mm. I've never seen any vintage IWC dial with this kind of logo - have you? Other than that, seems OK.

IWC1_1.jpg IWC1_2.jpg IWC1_3.jpg IWC1_4.jpg IWC1_5.jpg

#2: 1956 IWC, serial 1376886 (caseback), cal. 89, solid gold case, 33 mm. Seems pretty nice. Fixed lugs, non-original crown.

IWC2_1.jpg IWC2_2.jpg IWC2_3.jpg IWC2_4.jpg IWC2_5.jpg IWC2_6.jpg

#3: 1967 IWC, serial 1885414 (movement), cal. 854, gold-plated case, 34 mm. No caseback pictures. Crown is probably a replacement.
IWC3_1.jpg IWC3_2.jpg IWC3_3.jpg IWC3_4.jpg

#4: 1950 IWC, serial 1214122 (caseback), cal. 89, solid gold case, 36 mm. Beautiful lugs. Seems nice too.

IWC4_1.jpg IWC4_2.jpg IWC4_3.jpg IWC4_4.jpg IWC4_5.jpg

Reactions: bsshog40

·
Premium Member
7,587 Posts
For IWC watches, both serial numbers are valid, and they shouldn't be too far apart. If they differ too much, it suggests that the movement and case weren't originally part of the same watch.

Just out of curiosity, since it seems that you have asked for opinions about dozens of watches on the forum, have you purchased any of these watches? Or is this more of a hypothetical exercise?

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For IWC watches, both serial numbers are valid, and they shouldn't be too far apart. If they differ too much, it suggests that the movement and case weren't originally part of the same watch.

Just out of curiosity, since it seems that you have asked for opinions about dozens of watches on the forum, have you purchased any of these watches? Or is this more of a hypothetical exercise?
I've purchased various of them, Dan. And the ones I've not purchased yet are on my list.

The thing is that I like to plan my acquisitions. Here in Brazil, we have a shopping website where one can find good vintage pieces. Almost daily I'm on the hunt for new pieces for my collection. If you take a look at my profile, observe my current collection and compare it to my threads, you'll see that almost all of them were submitted to your scrutiny. Of that dozens of watches you fellows so kindly evaluated for me, several of them were not good acquisitions. Hence, I purchased only some of them - the ones you aproved.

So, whenever something catches my interest, I show it to you and, if the watch is OK and I'm financially prepared, I go for it.

As I've said in other occasion, I never buy anything before knowing WUS fellows' opinion about the object of my interest. Again, I've learned much from you and I hope I can count on your help whenever needed. If my interventions in the forum are in someway inadequate or if I've incidentally broken any of the rules applied to members, please, let me know.

·
Premium Member
7,587 Posts
That's good to hear. I will look forward to seeing more of your collection on the WRUW thread.

#1, #2, and #4 appear to be re-dials, and in some cases the hands are replacements.

#3 has a nice dial, but the hands seem to be replacements, and to be honest I'm not entirely sure the case is original. I would want to see the IWC stamp and serial number from the caseback.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's good to hear. I will look forward to seeing more of your collection on the WRUW thread.
You can count on that, my friend! As soon as I have my smartphone camera fixed...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts