WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone please talk me out of this watch?

So I know it's a little overpriced...but the style of this watch seems perfect to me. I'm looking for diver to wear on a NATO this summer and everything about this watch screams just right to me (other than it's a quartz Timex without a sapphire crystal). The 38mm size is exactly what I like to wear, and something about the angle of the bezel, thickness of the case, lettering, no fuss hands and dial seems perfect to me.

I realize there's not much to appeal to enthusiasts, but every other watch I look at close to this price range looks off somehow in comparison. Either the hands are old school, the bezel doesn't look as good or the lettering isn't right in comparison. Side by side all the others can't compare for me at least.

As overpriced as it is, it seems someone did a very good job with the design. I like the fact that it's a "cheap Timex" with a stellar look without being the least bit ostentatious.

Am I wrong?

20111105082233.jpg

Andros-Header.jpg

My local store says they'll be back in stock next week, I might not be able to resist...

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Sounds like this is your watch to me, you describe almost everything as "perfect" to your eye, including price. Don't see how you could go wrong here, go for it. IMO its a good watch for its price point.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
If you like it as much as you described then just get it. It looks like you'll be happy with it so just take the plunge. I would check ebay before you buy it from the J. Crew store though. I've seen some go for really cheap.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
I like it. 38mm with a diver's bezel will wear quite small.

·
Banned
54 Posts
I was able to grab it during a short period it was on sale; probably wouldn't have otherwise. That said, it's one of the watches I wear the most. Wears small but it's a very clean design in a striking blue. I say go for it. I doubt very much that you'll be disappointed.

I'll take a few pictures when I get home from work.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the responses, I think on my 6" wrist it will wear very well. Glad to hear it's getting a lot of wrist time, I have a feeling I'll be wearing this one a lot as well. I hate overpaying, but I'm sure once I get passed that I'll enjoy it.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Search for J Crew coupon codes. Might be able to get a discount if you can't wait for a sale. It's a great looking watch, just too expensive for me at retail.

·
11,873 Posts
I was going to post mine up, but you already used my photo in the original post! J Crew does send out 30% off coupons, you need to sign up for the emails, and wait a few weeks or so....if you look up my original posts on this one....I give the frequency and amount of the maximum coupons.

·
Registered
6,160 Posts
That might be the prettiest, modern Timex I've seen. :-!

The retail is ridiculous though.

Would be a very nice affordable, at <$100. IMO, of course.

Reactions: deleonj

·
Registered
13,177 Posts
I think the Andros is better looking, but the other Timex Originals dive-style watches can be had for $70-80.

Tapatalk

·
Affordables Moderator
17,578 Posts
I really like all the JCrew Timex watches, but I know what you mean about the prices :-(

Their prices are just high enough to keep me from being tempted, though I would love that diver style as well as the original field watch. You could check the sales forums but I don't remember seeing any JCrew come up, but it's worth a shot.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was going to post mine up, but you already used my photo in the original post! J Crew does send out 30% off coupons, you need to sign up for the emails, and wait a few weeks or so....if you look up my original posts on this one....I give the frequency and amount of the maximum coupons.
Haha, that's a great photo by the way. I do want to try it on in the store when they come in on Wednesday since it's right around the corner, but I think I'll wait for the coupon like you said. I'm already on their mailing list and the coupons are always 30% off on orders over $150 and such.

Thanks for all the other responses as well, that other Timex diver does look good. Still if I can get the J Crew version for around $120 I'll be happy. That Seiko looks good as well, but I'm actually looking forward to a casual quartz watch I can throw on and not have to keep running for once (I have a few automatics already).

Can anyone with the Andros comment on the noise of the watch, how loud are the ticks? On some of the cheap Timex watches I see the ticking noise as a common complaint. I'm hoping they didn't put the cheapest quartz movement they had in this watch, I'm the kind to be bothered by really loud ticking noises. I don't mind if I can hear it, but if it's as bad as some of their $20 watches it might put me off.

Thanks

·
Banned
54 Posts
Can anyone with the Andros comment on the noise of the watch, how loud are the ticks? On some of the cheap Timex watches I see the ticking noise as a common complaint. I'm hoping they didn't put the cheapest quartz movement they had in this watch, I'm the kind to be bothered by really loud ticking noises. I don't mind if I can hear it, but if it's as bad as some of their $20 watches it might put me off.

Thanks
Ticks pretty quietly. Not nearly as loud as the Camper I used to have.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I just received the Andros, got it for a decent price on sale ($98 with tax and shipping), looks nice, but the steel case, especially the sides, looks dirty.
Is it intentional to make it look vintage? Is it cleanable? I tried to take a couple pictures but couldn't capture it. Rubbed it with a damp microfiber cloth, no luck. I don't want to try water and soap or Cape Cod polishing cloth as I can still return it. Did I get a bad unit or are yours the same? Thanks.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts