WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Id like to show you my newest acquisition.

A friend of my mother came along with some pocketwatches, a Longines, IWC, a swiss Watch, made for export to russia, and this. A Bautte!

Longines and Bautte are in my collection, i am sure, i overpaid them, but i would fall into depression, if i hadn't bought them.

the russian and, maybe, the iwc wil be sold, and all the money goes to him.

anyway. That was the short story, how this beauty became a part of my collection.

i think, but i am not 100% sure, the watch was made after Bautte himself died.

the friend cant give me any informations. He bought it in the 80s on a antique market in belgie.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Wonderful in all details. A incredible watch and made to be a grail :). To me its difficult to date ..I wouls suggest 1850 and this would be to late for J.F. Bautte but from the technical view 1930 by complete own "future" design of the structure as well I guess 1830 is possible.

Regards Silke

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
19,146 Posts
A wonderful watch! But also a wonderful watch chain! I like the pendant ("Unvergeßliche Tage" = "Unforgettable days").....

Hartmut Richter

·
Premium Member
7,577 Posts
Wow, that is just an amazing timepiece. Congrats.

But from a semantic angle, I think that "grail" in this context generally refers to something that we aspire to have but cannot attain, not to a prized item that we already possess (which is logical if you think about the origin of the term, and the endless and ongoing search for the Holy Grail). :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts