WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
I re-read your post. So the 7S26 could be made in Japan. The amount of manual labour in one of those is minimal or nil. The lower level Seiko watches are not assembled in Japan, and the parts are not produced in japan (apart from possiblty the moveemnts). So IMO they are not Made In Japan watches.
It depends. If it is a "J1" watch, it's "Made In Japan" as defined by the JWCA.

Look at SNZG11J1 vs SNZG11K1. They are the same one, but one is "Made In Japan" and the other is not. It's really easy to tell which Seiko's are made in Japan and which ones are not. I have never seen a J1 watch not "Made In Japan".

·
Banned
580 Posts
So where are the SKX007K and the SKX009K watches made? In which different countries are the different parts of the watch like the watch case and movement made in and in which different countries are the different parts of the watch like the watch case and watch movement assembled in?
We don't know the answers to these questions because these particular questions have not been answered clearly. We really do NOT know in which countries the different parts of the watch like the watch case, movement, crystal, rotating bezel, ect. are manufactured in and we do NOT know in which countries that each of these watch parts which I've described and mentioned here are assembled in. It's very unclear.

·
Banned
8,921 Posts
So where is the SKX007K and the SKX009K watches made? In which different countries are the different parts of the watch like the watch case and movement made in and in which different countries are the different parts of the watch like the watch case and watch movement assembled in?
We don't know the answers to these questions because these particular questions have not been answered clearly. We really do NOT know in which countries the different parts of the watch like the watch case, movement, crystal, rotating bezel, ect. are manufactured in and we do NOT know in which countries that each of these watch parts which I've described and mentioned here are assembled. It's very unclear.
For these entry level watches; the movement parts may or may not be made in Japan; the movements are assembled in Malaysia or China and the whole watch is cased up in Chine...check the inside of the case back; it plainly says China.

So, neither of these watches is actually made in Japan.

Yserv(Seiko Japan) has told me on two separate occasions said that the 'K' and 'J' designations are not an indicator of where the watches are made, simply distribution channels with 'J' being for the Japanese market and K being for other parts of the world outside of Japan.

Made in Japan is just as loosely valid as a Swiss Made watch that only needs 50% of it's value to be Swiss derived. Also, different countries require different labelling on products to identify the country of origin(that means where the corporate head offices are registered, not where the products are made.

These watches are made in as few as three different locations and sometimes more; none are made in one factory in Japan.

Reactions: RSDA

·
Banned
580 Posts
That's very interesting. If the SKX007K, SKX007J, SKX009K and SKX009J are all made in at least 3 or more different countries/locations other than Japan, then it would be confusing to imprint "Made in Japan" on the watch dial or on the back bezel of the watch. Why doesn't Seiko just put the correct imprint on the watch dial or on the back of the watch to tell us where the watch was manufactured and assembled? Why would Seiko want to hide this? It sounds ludicrous for them to not specify where these watches were manufactured and assembled. I remember very well back 10+ years ago, Seiko used to specify in which country each SKX007 and SKX009 was assembled and manufactured in.
If I remember well, these models were manufactured and assembled either in Singapore or Malaysia. Why can't Seiko specify where these same watches are manufactured and assembled at today? What's the big deal?

·
Banned
8,921 Posts
That's very interesting. If the SKX007K, SKX007J, SKX009K and SKX009J are all made in at least 3 or more different countries/locations other than Japan, then it would be confusing to imprint "Made in Japan" on the watch dial or on the back bezel of the watch. Why doesn't Seiko just put the correct imprint on the watch dial or on the back of the watch to tell us where the watch was manufactured and assembled? Why would Seiko want to hide this? It sounds ludicrous for them to not specif where these watches were manufactured and assembled. I remember very well back 10+ years ago, Seiko used to specify in which country each SKX007 and SKX009 was assembled and manufactured in.
If I remember well, these models were manufactured and assembled either in Singapore or Malaysia. Why can't Seiko specify where these same watches are manufactured and assembled at today? What's the big deal?
Since not much in this thread seems to satisfy you; ask Seiko directly ... [email protected]

·
Registered
202 Posts
Not at all. It's your money, spend it as you please. But more importantly, just be happy and content with your decisions. I've seen price differences of $60-80 more on select seikos on amazon before, between the J and K models. I guess you did well for only $20 extra.

·
Banned
580 Posts
Japanese law says if the factory is under Japanese management it's the same as being in Japan. These watches are assembled by robots anyway so it really doesn't matter where they come from.
So is that why the Seiko SKX007J and the SKX009J watches say on their watch dials and bezels that they're "Made in Japan"? Only because they are made outside of Japan under Japanese management. I never knew that this Japanese law existed.
If this particular Japanese law exists, then what about the Seiko SKX007K and the SKX009K watches that do "NOT" say "Made in Japan" on their watch dials and bezels? Why doesn't Seiko put the "Made in Japan" imprint on the SKX007K and SKX009K watch dials and bezels too just like they do on the SKX007J and SKX009J? Is it because the Seiko factories that these SKX007K and SKX009K Diver's watches are manufactured in are not under Japanese management? Where does this particular Japanese law stand with the Seiko SKX007K and SKX009K watches that do "NOT" have the "Made in Japan" imprint on their watch dials and bezels? Why doesn't Seiko also apply this same Japanese law that you speak of towards the manufacture of the SKX007K and SKX009K too? This Japanese law that you speak of doesn't make any sense when it's applied towards the manufacture of the SKX007K and SKX009K models. It seems to NOT apply to the SKX007K and SKX009K and it seems to ONLY apply to the SKX007J and SKX009J models. If this is the case, then which law applies to the SKX007K and SKX009K models that do NOT have "Made in Japan" imprinted on their watch dials and bezels?

·
Registered
8,173 Posts
So is that why the Seiko SKX007J and the SKX009J watches say on their watch dials and bezels that they're "Made in Japan"? Only because they are made outside of Japan under Japanese management. I never knew that this Japanese law existed.
If this particular Japanese law exists, then what about the Seiko SKX007K and the SKX009K watches that do "NOT" say "Made in Japan" on their watch dials and bezels? Why doesn't Seiko put the "Made in Japan" imprint on the SKX007K and SKX009K watch dials and bezels too just like they do on the SKX007J and SKX009J? Is it because the Seiko factories that these SKX007K and SKX009K Diver's watches are manufactured in are not under Japanese management? Where does this particular Japanese law stand with the Seiko SKX007K and SKX009K watches that do "NOT" have the "Made in Japan" imprint on their watch dials and bezels? Why doesn't Seiko also apply this same Japanese law that you speak of towards the manufacture of the SKX007K and SKX009K too? This Japanese law that you speak of doesn't make any sense when it's applied towards the manufacture of the SKX007K and SKX009K models. It seems to NOT apply to the SKX007K and SKX009K and it seems to ONLY apply to the SKX007J and SKX009J models. If this is the case, then which law applies to the SKX007K and SKX009K models that do NOT have "Made in Japan" imprinted on their watch dials and bezels?
Because, some countries require origin marking for imports.

Reactions: jason_recliner

·
Registered
611 Posts
Only Seiko knows the answer to most of these questions. The US domestic market models all say 'Made in Malaysia' and 'Made in Singapore' so that's probably closer to the truth.

·
Banned
10,224 Posts
Because, some countries require origin marking for imports.
This pretty much sums it up. Different countries have different labelling laws. For all intents and purposes the J and K watches are identical.

Am I the only one that immediately thought of Papi when I first saw this resurrected thread?
Tell me about it!

Papi, much has been written on this topic over the years. Google is your friend!

Reactions: stuart77

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Yserv(Seiko Japan) has told me on two separate occasions said that the 'K' and 'J' designations are not an indicator of where the watches are made, simply distribution channels with 'J' being for the Japanese market and K being for other parts of the world outside of Japan.

I've read the J models are made for export too. Apparently the Japanese domestic market seiko watches don't have J designators.
I think all of the Js have Arabic as the second language, so that's the intended market. Why those say made in Japan, I have no idea? Maybe like in America, in those countries, a watch saying made in Japan is perceived as being of higher quality than one from Malaysia or Singapore.
Actually I know a lot of Asian countries are still mad at Japan for WW2. So maybe the watches for export in those areas, the K models, they don't want them to say Japan on the label. Stupid I know since everyone should know Seiko is a Japanese company, but who knows the true reasoning for having a different dial between J and K ?

I went ahead and paid extra for an SKX007J1. I don't know if there are really any differences aside from cosmetics, but I do like the J's dial better.

·
Registered
3,989 Posts
Your question would seem like an irrational one to everyone EXCEPT to us. And 99.9% of the population wouldn't know or care about what country a Seiko watch comes from. Of course, this whole watch collecting thing is irrational. Anyone disagree?

I have K versions of the 007 and 009---bought them both on great sales. I also paid a premium for a 011 which is a J. They all keep time pretty much the same, look the same, and for outward appearances they are the same except for the dial colors.

The only one who really is going to care about your watch is you. Get what you are going to feel comfortable with and be happy. After all, there are starving children in the world that have only quartz watches. ;-)

·
Registered
202 Posts
im starting to understand now, why someone would care about specific details.. This is a Seiko collectors group. I have realized that there are quite a few hardcore collectors here who have multiple watches of the same style, ei- skz007j1, 009k3, 173j2, 007k2, 171jadada.. ive always said, its all about the details... and this is no exception. Im glad you found what youve been searching for and for only a $20 premium. I only have a few watches that say japan on the back and front. But they are the older watches, before the gray market / mail order shopping era that we have now. Im really happy that we have gray market seiko's from reputable sellers such as mrWatch and amazon.

·
Banned
580 Posts
im starting to understand now, why someone would care about specific details.. This is a Seiko collectors group. I have realized that there are quite a few hardcore collectors here who have multiple watches of the same style, ei- skz007j1, 009k3, 173j2, 007k2, 171jadada.. ive always said, its all about the details... and this is no exception. Im glad you found what youve been searching for and for only a $20 premium. I only have a few watches that say japan on the back and front. But they are the older watches, before the gray market / mail order shopping era that we have now. Im really happy that we have gray market seiko's from reputable sellers such as mrWatch and amazon.
Excellent Post!!! And THAT'S why I want to find these things out. Because I'm a SERIOUS Seiko watch collector. Thank you for making your point.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Excellent Post!!! And THAT'S why I want to find these things out. Because I'm a SERIOUS Seiko watch collector. Thank you for making your point.
Papi, are you so starved for someone to argue with that you have to rehash a thread from over a year ago just so you can bring back up what seems to be your belief that Seiko has some kind of evil conspiracy to....... well I really have no idea what you think the conspiracy is, but any so called "SERIOUS Seiko watch collector" would seem to have a little more senses and knowledge in the product they say their serious about collecting!

·
Registered
994 Posts
If you want a REAL Japan Made Seiko, pony up the cash and buy one where the dial fine print only reads "Japan", and the caseback reads "Japan A" or "Japan J". I go even one step further, I make sure the Seiko buckle also reads "Japan" underneath. I accept nothing less!!

Woohoo that makes me the most serious Seiko collector around mmmuuhhhhaaaa!!!!!! :D

·
Banned
580 Posts
Well, I do have some knowledge about the product. I've been a Seiko collector since I was a teenager. I own many Seiko watches of various kinds. The problem is that all the Seikos that I own have stamped or printed on them where they are made. I have the older models of back in the old days when one knew where their Seiko watch was manufactured/assembled. I stopped collecting Seiko watches for a number of years and just restarted collecting them again. When I started collecting Seikos again, I was shocked when I realized that Seiko stopped putting the origin of manufacture/assembly on their watches. That's when I started asking myself and others in here WHY they stopped doing that? I don't believe that there's a conspiracy theory behind Seiko not telling us where they manufacture/assemble their watches. I just question why they don't mention on a lot of their watches where they manufacture/assemble them when they used to do it in the past for many decades? That's why I'm asking so many questions and poking around for some straight answers. It's been over 10 years since I've purchased a Seiko and I just recently started collecting Seikos again. I was shocked to see that they don't specify anymore on the watch where the watch is made. That's all.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts