WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone,

I have a jaeger empire style clock. top of the clock is made of brass and has a plate which seems to have come off. The plate has two small holes which goes into screws in the clock but I think that it was also glued because the screws by itself aren't long enough to hold the plate by itself. If the clock is standing in upright position, the plate stays on but if its tilted upside down, it comes off.

Clock works fine. its a cosmetic issue that I like to fix. please let me know if you are aware of the clock and know how I can make the plate stick on the clock. If I have to use glue, please suggest what to use. I tried searching my own and there are various options to either use hide glue, 2 part epoxy by 3M etc

Thank you for your assistance in advance. I am posting two pictures of the clock. first is the top of clock without the plate and second is the plate itself and third is the front of clock with brass plate/slab.

Attachments

·
Moderator Public Forum
23,329 Posts
It looks to me like there should be two screws that come up through the case and thread into the top. If the screws protrude from the body then they should be long enough to catch the threads in the top. What has probably happened is the threads in the top and possibly the screws themselves have become stripped. Inspect the screws closely and replace as needed. If that does not work then the threads in the top will need to be retapped. You can try superglue after removing al the old glue with a strong solvent. I suspect it won't hold though.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
It looks to me like there should be two screws that come up through the case and thread into the top. If the screws protrude from the body then they should be long enough to catch the threads in the top. What has probably happened is the threads in the top and possibly the screws themselves have become stripped. Inspect the screws closely and replace as needed. If that does not work then the threads in the top will need to be retapped. You can try superglue after removing al the old glue with a strong solvent. I suspect it won't hold though.
\

thank you for responding. I think that you are right about the two screws but not sure how to tighten them up. My guess is that the screws come from the bottom but I am not sure. attached is the image of clock base. I think its those two screws as there are no other screws visible. Let me know what you think. I can try to open and then tighten them but like to be sure if I am doing the right thing.

Do you think also that those brown lines on top of the clock is from old glue?

Attachments

·
Moderator Public Forum
23,329 Posts
Hard to rell whether that is old glue, corrosion or varnish. If it were mine I would look for new screws of the right length, diameter and thread pitch. My sense is that you haven't done this sort of thing before. You may want to consider having a good clock repair shop look at it. It should be a simple fix for someone with experience and the right tools and parts.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes, not done this before. also, being a little cautious. not sure if a clock repair shop would be of assistance in finding the replacement screws as Jaeger makes its own. I did tried one and they said the same. do you know of any in ny?

·
Moderator Public Forum
23,329 Posts
I do not. However screws are screws as long as the sizing and material is correct. Remember these are hidden from view. Contact Jaeger if original screws are desired.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts