WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone,

It took me about three years to find this watch. I had put so many feelers and requests into watch dealers to help me find one that I actually wound up buying two of them. Which I thought was neat for a little while but it is time to let one of them go.

This Memovox model is extremely rare because it is the only black dial display back Memovox and it had a limited run from around 1999-2002 retailing for just over 9K. This one is numbered 675; there were only 1164 of these black dial versions made. The watch is also unique because it's one of two modern black faced Memovox models and until recently it was the only Memovox with a clear case back to view the movement and alarm complication. When this model was released there was also a silver faced version that had a closed case back, not as limited in production. JLC just released an automatic silver dial version with a sapphire case back this year. It uses a similar gong design, however, it is much more difficult to view it in action and it retails for just under 12k.

A couple of interesting facts about this watch: not only does it differ from the buzzing alarm of the other calibres that had the hammer strike the inside of the of the Memovox case but it was also manufactured alongside the minute repeaters from JLC which have a similar gong design. In my opinion this manual wind version is the model to get. The gong makes the alarm sound immensely different and more pleasing to listen to than the vintage calibers. It sounds like an old school bell. The alarm sets and functions perfectly.

The case has very few, if any, marks. Please try to disregard all fingerprints and dust in the photos as the watch really is in mint condition. A lot of these have had the back sapphire replaced and you can tell this the original as per the two contact points. A replacement will have one large cap on the crystal suspending the gong in place.

Both crystals are clean and clear of any imperfections. The movement looks fantastic and clean, however, I don't have any service documents from the previous owner. Calibre JLC 914 (also used in other models) is an alarm movement from Jaeger-LeCoultre produced since 1996 and is based on its predecessors, Calibres 910 and 911, but with significant improvements. It beats at a modern 28,800 A/h rather than 19,800 A/h as in the previous models. It is upgraded with 18 jewels, one more than before. But the most significant improvement is the use of a nicer-sounding gong for the alarm function. The watch is keeping good time. Edit: I was gifted a timegrapher for Christmas and it is currently running +10 seconds a day with a strong amplitude of 273 and a beat error of 0.0ms.

It will come with...
Original blue outer box (small white sticker remnants on the left side)
Original blue inner box with pillow and liner
Manual and guarantee booklets with storage sleeve
Hangtag (it seems to have a secondary sales sticker on the backside, the opposite side from the JLC logo).

Downsides are that...I don't have the "papers" aka the guarantee which states the serial number, who purchased it, and where it was purchased. Also, it will not come with the original strap or buckle. It is fitted with a new Hirsch Genuine Lizard Strap in black with a stainless Hirsch pin buckle as photographed.

— Origin: Switzerland
— Model #: 144.8.94.S
— Movement: cal 914 Mechanical (manual) version of 918; 28,800 bph; 45 hr pwr reserve; 18 jewels
— Case Diameter: 36 x 11.5mm thick including the domed crystal
— Lug to Lug - 42 mm (lug width 18mm)
— Case Material: Stainless Steel
— Case Back: Sapphire
— Dial Color: Black
— Water Resistant: 50M

I would like $5,350 for this watch. I will pay the shipping and insurance costs inside the Continental U.S. Thanks for looking! If you have any questions, I would be more than happy to answer them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts