WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a press release from JLC:

In June 2007, off the coast of Hawaii, a robot specially designed to withstand the extreme pressures of deep-sea diving plunged to a depth of 1,080 meters. Secured to its metal structure was a Master Compressor Diving GMT by Jaeger-LeCoultre. When it returned to the surface, the 20 or so journalists from around the world were able to note that the watch had withstood 100 atmospheres of pressure without sustaining the slightest damage.This feat marked the launch of the new line of Jaeger-LeCoultre diver’s watches, Master Compressor Diving. This new line set a new benchmark in the field of diver’s watches, providing an ideal opportunity to review the history of diving and to highlight Jaeger-LeCoultre’s contributions to this particular field, contributions that goes back to In the 1950s with the Manufacture having a firm grip on the issue of watertight cases.

Launched in 1959, The Memovox Deep Sea model E857 represented Jaeger-LeCoultre’s groundbreaking entrance into the field of diver’s watches. It caused a sensation as the first diver’s watch equipped with an alarm – serving in this case to remind the diver that it was time to return to the surface. This function was also served by the external rotating bezel carrying a dedicated triangular-shaped marker. Its case protected the precious mechanism from any infiltration of water, from magnetic fields and from impacts. On the back, a specially created logo depicted a diver surrounded by air bubbles. Equipped with automatic winding Jaeger-LeCoultre Calibre 815 featuring a balance oscillating at 18,000 vibrations per hour and delivered with a “Marine” polymer strap, the Memovox Deep Sea was produced in a series of 1,061. Like all other watches from the Manufacture at that time, it was marketed in the United States under the LeCoultre brand name, placed under the rotating alarm disc, whereas in all other markets it carried the Jaeger-LeCoultre signature on the fixed part of the dial.

Between 1959 and 1970, Jaeger-LeCoultre created a dozen evocatively named diver’s models such as Shark, Voguematic, Dolphin and Barracuda. In vintage catalogues, product names varied according to the markets. This practice was commonplace in an era when communication strategies were deemed less important than the excellence of the products themselves.

Since 2007, the Master Compressor Diving collection is heralding a new chapter in the history of diver’s watches. Like its illustrious predecessors, it embodies the perfect blend of style and technical performance. Its sporty high-tech cases offer unprecedented water resistance as well as unique functions already highly recognize among professional divers.

In this particular context, Jaeger leCoultre recently signed a partnership with The United States Navy SEa, Air and Land Forces, commonly known as the US Navy SEALs, a Special Operations Forces of the U.S. Navy.

...for now its wait and see|>

·
Premium Member
5,733 Posts
C'mon...don't leave us hanging.:)

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
As long as JLC will not make a "LE" with the SEALS logo on!

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Will be interesting to see what they release. :think: Cheers Ian! ;-)

·
Registered
754 Posts
It's odd why a covert unit would like to be associated with all these advertising stuff etc. Maybe provides funding. Wonder why JLC etc don't go to other units around the world...

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
It's odd why a covert unit would like to be associated with all these advertising stuff etc. Maybe provides funding. Wonder why JLC etc don't go to other units around the world...
NAVSPECWARGRUs (SEAL Teams) participate in clandestine ops, not covert ops, just to be clear. I'm sure JLC went to the SEALs because they are the most famous dive unit in the world.

It'll be interesting to see what comes of this, particularly since the connection between the ROV dive to 1080m and the usual SEAL op for which they are famous is tenuous. I'm dubious, but watching with interest.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I'm skeptical too, the last thing I'd expect to see on a real SEAL's wrist would be a JLC or even a Kobold for that matter.

The real SEAL watch would undoubtedly be a G-Shock or Seiko of some sort, priced right, tough as nails and easily replaced if damaged not some $5K-$10K priced pseudo "tactical" piece, though knowing JLC it will be a heckuva nice watch.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
There are exactly 2,741 products bearing the SEAL name, some having actually received the SEAL stamp of approval, some not. This is not surprising at all.

·
Registered
9,327 Posts
To be honest in the modern age of precision warfare, I don't see how a mechanical watch (no matter how great it is) has any real role for a Navy Seal soldier. Its a neat marketing idea, such as Omega for James Bond, to put the sense of "adventure" into the watch, but ultimately it doesn't mean much to me since I would think the ultimate Seal watch would be an atomic time G-shock.

Not knocking the watch, just pointing out that marketing has its appeal to some.

·
Watchuseek Journalist
1,777 Posts
I hope the SEAL have a huge watch budget for JLC :-d

Seeing how the current MC diving are priced, it could be $10K+

Cheers,
Bhanu

·
Registered
13,407 Posts
I hope the SEAL have a huge watch budget for JLC :-d

Seeing how the current MC diving are priced, it could be $10K+

Cheers,
Bhanu
A select few admirals will be getting some NICE swag! ;-)

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
IF JLC make a SEAL LE, then, in my eyes and opinion, they have sunk to a very low level.
I have absolutely nothing against members of the SEAL units, but JLC is a Swiss Manufacture of some repute, and this would be just a "cheap" marketing ploy.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Yeah, when I first read this I was wondering how many actual Navy SEALs would be able to afford such a nice piece, let alone wear it while on a mission.

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
IF JLC make a SEAL LE, then, in my eyes and opinion, they have sunk to a very low level.
I have absolutely nothing against members of the SEAL units, but JLC is a Swiss Manufacture of some repute, and this would be just a "cheap" marketing ploy.
Yeah, just like those MilSubs, RN SM300s, ZTZ and ZUZ EZM-1s, IWC Ocean Bunds - those didn't work out very well at all ;-)

·
Registered
13,418 Posts
this would be just a "cheap" marketing ploy.

That brings to mind that really awful Sinn that was recently made for the GSG9.

On the other hand, if the Teams really needed a quality timepiece and a high quality firm was ready to make it for their use, as a citizen I'd be ready to pay my share to be sure that they had the best gear around when heading into action.
DW

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
That brings to mind that really awful Sinn that was recently made for the GSG9.
David, the one you're thinking of (and I don't even have a file photo of it because it's so heinous) wasn't made "for" GSG9, it was made for wannabe lads. Even the more subdued version below has never appeared on the market as an 'issued' watch, even after the introduction of the EZM-2B.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Were you referring to this monstrosity???? (Apologies to anyone who actually owns one - but it's just not for me!)

Pic from another forum

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
I hope the SEAL have a huge watch budget for JLC :-d...
They do. It's called the taxpayer.;-)

Respect to the SEALs, love the JLC divers, but this all sounds a bit fanciful to me. If true, it is sure to be one of the most sought-after divers of all time - although no miltary issue watch will ever be as cool as the IWC Ocean Bund.b-)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts