Votes: 9 6.5%
  • Omega

Votes: 86 62.3%

• Total voters
81 - 88 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
715 Posts
Great I had a really important thought about this topic and the thread was closed. Now that it's reopened I can't remember it! :-|

Chad

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
I know what you mean, Chad.
Anyway, in the interests of answering cardiac's original question:

"After Brimstones' excellent "Actors" poll.
What about a watch poll.
Which brand really represents the Secret Agent best.
The original Fleming Rolex, the 80's Digital era Seiko or the understated
hard wearing Omega Seamaster."

...I figured I'd throw my hat into the ring*.

When I read the Fleming novels and even the John Gardner continuation books (IMHO greatly underrated, since his worst Bond novel was still better than Raymond Benson's output. Let the flames begin!;-)), I picture Bond looking like Sean Connery (circa 1962, but with a modern haistyle) and wearing a Rolex Submariner. I realise that nowhere in the books does Fleming mention exactly what kind of Rolex Bond wears other than an Oyster Perpetual. M4tt's theory alluding to the Explorer I makes a lot of sense, based on the portrait of Ian Fleming painted by V******* which currently hangs in the ******** ***** *********. Get your decoder rings out for that one, gang.
I chose the Sub based on the fact that Bond (in the books) tends to find himself in sunny climes (Nassau, Jamaica) often getting into deep water (literally and figuratively) and so the Sub, being a dive watch, tends to suit his needs.
The Omega Seamasters really (and obviously) belong to the Brosnan era of films and now the Daniel Craig Bond films.
As for the '80s Seiko digitals, the less said about them, the better, although I understand the supposed reasoning behind the use of them in the films back then.
Just my 2c.

teeritz

*I really do have a hat. It's a San Juan Stetson, purchased about 20 years ago. In pristine condition, but hardly worn over the years because I got sick of schoolgirls yelling out "Inspector Gadget!" as I walked down the street.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Update

Since a number of people here have expressed disappointment that this Thread sorta dropped off, I thought I'd share a little bit of the fun stuff I had to keep to myself pending publication of my WatchTime article.

As I've said elsewhere, I was on the campus of Indiana University at Bloomington to celebrate the Ian Fleming Centenary last year. The Lilly Library is there, and they house an archives that includes all but maybe one or two of the original James Bond manuscripts, which Ian Fleming had bound. Author's copies of the published books are there, including his hand-written notes, introductions.

One of the preparations I made for my trip was to produce special envelopes to mail from there, so they'd have the Centenary date Postmark. Most were done by machine, but I got a lot of nice ones with clean hand-stamped markings.

Much earlier in my efforts to identify the literary James Bond watch, I'd been provided with photographs of the Rolex Explorer 1016 that Ian Fleming personally owned and wore. (Maintaining exclusivity for Watchtime precluded sharing this before this month, now that that February 2009 issue is out.) So I thought it would be neat to include that as a graphic on my Centenary envelopes. As far as I know, this image hasn't been published or Posted on the Internet before today.

Other images and Postmarks have been Posted to my website. LINK

·
0 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Operation Thunderball

Actually, Thunderball was a Brietling Top Time!
Or at least one was.

That would be the first on-screen "gadget" watch, issued by Q (in the field, by the way). And for those who complain that such things were inventions for the silver screen, it was in fact Ian Fleming himself who first wrote about the Geiger Counter built into a watch in his original novel, Thunderball. Sadly, no brand was specified.

Sean Connery also wore a Rolex Submariner in the movie version of Thunderball.

What sharp little eyes you have, 303andrewp! |>

·
Registered
314 Posts
Citations to source material

By way of closing the loop on a number of background questions related to my "Discovered: James Bond's Rolex" article in the February 2009 WatchTime, I've created an Index on my Blog for reference. Here's the LINK.

More importantly, since a picture is worth a thousand words, I thought some folks here might be interested in the following.

1) This is an exclusive photo of the Ian Fleming 1016 Rolex Explorer the just finished a year-long display at the Imperial War Museum in London. So far as I know, no one has published an image of the clasp-side view featuring its 7206 bracelet with fixed-link configuration. In additon to this image, I have further discussion on my March 12 Blog entry. LINK

2) This next one is really neat. As I mentioned in WatchTime, the Fleming-Bond Rolex watch dial was changed prior to its exhibition at the Imperial War Museum. So, any photograph of its display there (including the one published with my feature article) will only give you the updated Rolex Service Centre version on the watch.

This photograph, however, is of the watch prior to the production dial replacement. It's from the very first one that was provided to me by the Fleming family in my research, so it has sort of a Eureka! fondness for me. I just Posted this today, and further discussion related to it is on my Blog. LINK

81 - 88 of 88 Posts