WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read on a couple of blogs and forums that genuine J1 models do not have "JAPAN" stamped on the bracelet clasps.

Yet I see seemingly reputable YouTube reviewers showing such watches. Also see watches like this listed on trusted internet sites (not just Ebay and Amazon).

What is the truth?

·
Registered
178 Posts
I would be interested to see where you’ve seen that discussed!

I’ve had quite a few MiJapan Seiko 5 models come through and all had japan stamped on the bracelet clasp

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Couple of examples from several years ago. Second one is rather long but it's in there.

To be fair the example of the fake in the first post looks different than what I see on J1 models lately.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
The answer I got when asking about this a while back (on a vintage piece) was that it was aftermarket, definitely not OEM.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Ah, yes those are Mumbai specials. Fantasy dials, fake cases, old/fakes of old movements..

I was thinking of modern Seiko 5 MiJapan models:

SEIKO 5 Automatic Watch Made in Japan SNKE53J1 Amazon.com: SEIKO 5 Automatic Watch Made in Japan SNKE53J1: Watches

These are Japan marked on the dial, clasp, and often the movement also. I’ve had various models from very reputable sources (not amazon) pass through. All 100% authentic

·
Premium Member
66,699 Posts
Japan seem to play so fast and loose with “made in Japan” that I would take its presence (or lack thereof) with a pinch of salt.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I own a couple of MIJapan Seiko 5s purchased from their authorised dealer in Qatar (Mannai). Both came with “made in Japan” on dial, case back and clasp. I changed both bracelets to straps tho.
B7724732-FAE0-4853-9289-0C1A7ADE78E1.jpeg
0B07486C-AA33-46EF-9286-203F4837BC52.jpeg
1FBB3291-14D1-4D34-A170-783DD0B153E0.jpeg

·
Registered
12 Posts
As far as watches are concerned at least, Japanese makers are allowed to use Made In Japan by Japanese law as long as the subsidiaries making the components are owned by Japanese parent companies.

Hence the mass number of Seiko-__ companies everywhere from Singapore to Malaysia to China.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts