WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Completely unintentionally it would seem that I have formed a collection of four beautiful Japanese watches, all of which feature a sunburst dial. These dials look glossy, flat, or even downright drab depending on the lighting but shine like gemstones in the light.

Let's take a trip to the leaning tower of Japan to see what the land of the rising sun has in store for us.

Working our way from top to bottom we first encounter the SARB033 with it's incredibly subtle and refined chocolate brown sunburst. The casual observer would be forgiven for assuming it to be a simple black dial, particularly in low light. But its true Root Beer nature becomes readily apparent in the sun.

The next stop on our journey is the sometimes midnight, sometimes cobalt, sometimes light steely blue dialed Orient Star WZ0031DV (the Japanese sure have a way with names...). This watch shines in the sun. It almost looks like there is a strong electrical current flowing just beneath the surface of the dial, making the areas touched by the sun glow white hot.

Third is a forum (or at least personal) favorite, the SARB017 Alpinist. While detractors insist that the combination of green and gold is, at best, overly casual or old-fashioned or, at worst, nausea-inducing, I find it to be incredibly beautiful and versatile. The green is a dark evergreen in low light but shines a brilliant emerald in the sun.

Lastly we come to the most subtle of the sunbursts, the silvery white Citizen Grand Classic. This dial features an outer ring of vertically striped dial but rest assured that at the heart of the dial rests a brilliant silver sunburst. Is there anything more classic than a silver sunburst dial? This is certainly a fitting choice for a watch with such a name.

Thank you all very much for going on this adventure with me. I hope you have enjoyed my well-loved pack of sunburst dialed Japanese works of art.

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All very nice. Too bad they're not a few mm larger.
I love them just the way they are.

Though I have to admit, we would all be a bit happier if all companies made their offerings in two different sizes. Tons of people would like these a bit larger and I know for a fact that I would love many watches if they were a bit smaller.

·
Registered
5,166 Posts
I love them just the way they are.

Though I have to admit, we would all be a bit happier if all companies made their offerings in two different sizes. Tons of people would like these a bit larger and I know for a fact that I would love many watches if they were a bit smaller.
I'm finding that size of these is just about perfect for me too. I caught myself looking at a Land Monster today, and saying to myself: I don't want that heavy f^%# on my wrist!

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Two Seiko's!? Blasphemy! :p

The Naf

Reactions: DPflaumer

·
Registered
8,173 Posts
You've got a very nice collection of JDM watches there. Just one more to go. The OS GMT.

·
Registered
8,348 Posts
This one I think. No black dials right now and I'm not sure I see any reason to mess with that.

Mmmmm... That's my favorite Orient GMT as well. Also because it doesn't have the cyclops. The only thing about that series of watches that makes me hesitate is the thickness. They look like they would feel quite large on the wrist.

As for the sunburst thing... yeah, I'm a sucker for that, too. Maybe it's because I was growing up when all the dress watches had pearlescent metallic white dials. Like a baby bird spotting its mother for the first time, I just imprinted it in my brain as the definitive watch dial.

Here's a few non-Japanese sunburst dials. Do you mind if they share your thread?

Seagull816Wr1.jpg

OmegaStrap8.jpg

LuchAr2.jpg

JFP3.jpg

Cert5Wr.jpg

BuchBaka.jpg

BathysMOTM1.JPG

·
Vendor
27,771 Posts
I laughed. I cried. It was way better than "Cats"...

I only wish they served popcorn.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts