WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search but couldn't find much on Jaragar watches.

Are they in the same category as Goer and other cheap Chinese watches?
I've seen some pictures of them and the finish looks very good, perfect even.

So what's the story.
Is the finish really very good?
Are they waterproof?
Do they fall apart after six months?

By looking at the pictures they seem the deal of the century for a €20 watch.:-s

·
Registered
5,450 Posts

That's my watch & photograph ;-)

I bought the watch new about four years ago from HK. At the time, there was also a black dial version available. Having received the white one I tried to obtain the black as well but both styles disappeared - despite some searching I've not seen either offered anywhere since.
The detail and finish on the watch is excellent & it certainly has the appearance of a good quality piece. Much better than a Goer watch that I used to own.
Timekeeping & reliability have also been very good. It's one of those automatics that springs to life as soon as it's picked up no matter how long it's been lying in the box.

Two more pics....

This one shows the lovely guilloche style dial pattern.......

......'Swiss Design' on the bottom of the dial.

.......attractive rotor decoration with oddly offset pivot......

Cheers :)

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. I now feel confident in buying a Jaragar watch.
I was browsing some more on this forum and noticed the picture borrowed was indeed from here. :)

Do you know anything about Winner branded watches. They also look very good on pictures.

·
Premium Member
23,134 Posts
That's my watch & photograph ;-)

This one shows the lovely guilloche style dial pattern.......

This is a nice looking watch, did you purchase it on eBay? I've been looking there, but haven't been able to find a similar model, perhaps they have discontinued it since four years ago.

·
Registered
5,450 Posts
This is a nice looking watch, did you purchase it on eBay? I've been looking there, but haven't been able to find a similar model, perhaps they have discontinued it since four years ago.
Yes, ebay. Just checked & I actually bought it in Feb 2008 from seller 'dingyenghee'. At the time 'daliva'
also had them. I haven't seen the model offered anywhere since then :-( ;-)

·
Premium Member
23,134 Posts
Thanks, it's a pity, because the dial is very elegant.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I've seen a few Jaragars on ebay, mostly open hearts. Lucky123shop seems to be carrying some Jaragar models right now. Nothing as nice as the photos that have been posted though.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Actually every.deal has a nice Jaragar Chronograph listed under "NEW White Automatic Mechanical 6 Hands Mens Watch Light" I have purchase several watches from him. With the exception of one Fuyate that looks like a factory reject, I've been quite happy with his watches.

·
Premium Member
23,134 Posts
I've seen a few Jaragars on ebay, mostly open hearts. Lucky123shop seems to be carrying some Jaragar models right now. Nothing as nice as the photos that have been posted though.
Yes, I ended up ordering one of the open heart models, but I do like the simple elegance of the white dialed model above.

Attachments

·
Registered
261 Posts
I have my eye on one of these Winner De Villes. I like the simple elegance as well.

Attachments

Reactions: Luisão

·
Registered
6,624 Posts
Aren't these the models that now are Semdu's? I remember a prototype with 'deville' on them.

If you like the models, try these: http://www.semduwatches.com/

Regards,

Martin
Martin,

Those Semdu watches were for the domestic market, along with bogus Swiss markings. But the Winner watches have nothing to do with Semdu at all, and the DeVille Coaxial Chronometer markings are totally bogus.

·
Premium Member
6,158 Posts
Martin,

Those Semdu watches were for the domestic market, along with bogus Swiss markings. But the Winner watches have nothing to do with Semdu at all, and the DeVille Coaxial Chronometer markings are totally bogus.
You're right. I compared the pics with the Semdu, and they look quite different.
Still I would recommend the semdu over the winner ;-)

Regards,

Martin

·
Registered
6,624 Posts
You're right. I compared the pics with the Semdu, and they look quite different.
Still I would recommend the semdu over the winner ;-)

Regards,

Martin
Apparently, Winner watches are made to a much lower standard than Semdu, but I do not know how Jaragar compares: perhaps both Winner and Jaragar are eBay-only brands?

·
Registered
261 Posts
I read a wiki regarding the various grades of Chinese Watches. There are a few listed under Mushroom Brands that could qualify as low grade. In my opinion, if you like the watch then it.

:rodekaart Trying to compare Fuyates, Goers, Jaragars... to the Semdu watches is a bit pointless, one is an apple the other an orange. I'm sure Rex's watches are of better quality then the Winners and Wilons and such. These watches are the Dollar watches of our time. They work. Are fun to collect, and when they stop working; will be even more fun to tear down. Besides, all the watches that are sold in the US stores (in this price range) tend to be Quartz Movements and digital, what's the fun in that.

I say buy the Jaragar, post a review, let us know how you like your purchase.

I'll tuck my soapbox away now. :-d

·
Premium Member
23,134 Posts
I wanted to follow up with a review of the Jaragar open heart watch which I purchased for approximately $20 (inclusive of shipping) on eBay.

It has approximately a 41mm case, and the case appears to be chrome plated base metal, as opposed to stainless steel, since it was formed using a casting process, and one can see the mold lines in between the lugs. To be fair, the watch clearly states that it has a "stainless back," which I take to indicate that the rest of the case is not stainless steel, so it is not attempting to misrepresent itself in that regard.

The case generally appears to be less well finished in the hidden area between the lugs, and this is most apparent when the band is removed. The band itself is a bit plasticky, but seems to be odor free unlike some other pleather bands.

The dial is quite nicely finished, with a guilloche pattern in the inner dial, and the most obvious flaw when viewed under a 10x loupe is a very thin ribbon of blue metal emanating from the center of the 24 hour subdial at the 3 o'clock position. The open heart, which displays the balance wheel in motion, is at the 9 o'clock position, and a "power reserve" indicator is at the 6 o'clock position.

The "power reserve" indicator is non-functional, and is slaved to the 24 hour hand, except that it rotates counterclockwise with the passage of time. Instead of the non-functional "power reserve" indicator, I would have preferred having a day/night sun/moon indicator at that location. The movement itself is very plain, and does not appear to finished or embellished in any way. Even a utilitarian Seiko 7S26 movement would have been more interesting to look at through the display caseback.

The movement is automatic, and supports handwinding and is nonhacking. Handwinding the watch with the crown takes some effort, since is very stiff, and there is a tendency for my fingers to slip on the relatively smooth crown.

For the price, it is a very pretty watch, although I am concerned about what the case is actually made of, and am somewhat put off by the non-functional power indicator, and the stiffness of the handwinding. The finishing between the lugs is somewhat poor, but this is not apparent except under close scrutiny.

In my mind, this watch falls far short of the wonderfully elegant white dialed model in the first post, and the chrome plated base metal case makes it unlikely that it will become part of my regular rotation.

For now, I am content to wear my Folio Big Date Open Heart Automatic instead, which I purchased for $28 (inclusive of shipping), but which sometimes goes for less. The main improvements in my mind are the all stainless steel construction, better leather band, more nicely finished movement, and 5 ATM water resistance. Of course, like many of the cheaper implementations of the big date complication, it goes from 00 to 39, instead of 01 to 31, but the recessed quickset button makes it easy to set the date. One oversight in this particular model is the presence of lume on the hour markers, but not the watch hands.

Attachments

Reactions: Schick and Luisão

·
Registered
5,450 Posts
I wanted to follow up with a review of the Jaragar open heart watch.......
I enjoyed reading your review, thanks for posting it :-!

Spotted, and ordered, another Jaragar a couple of weeks ago b-)

I'll post some photos when it arrives, this is the seller's pic........

Cheers:)

·
Premium Member
23,134 Posts
I enjoyed reading your review, thanks for posting it :-!

Spotted, and ordered, another Jaragar a couple of weeks ago b-)

I'll post some photos when it arrives, this is the seller's pic........

Cheers:)
That's an interesting looking watch, it looks similar to the following white faced watch from Wilon, but the Jaragar looks nicer, with the slightly recessed center dial, and the slight ripple effect on the rest of the dial. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts about your Jaragar when it arrives.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 143 Posts