WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a Sinn 856s UTC. It is out of warranty and PRE gas-filled model. Basically it is losing about 20+ seconds a day. So I believe it needs an overhaul and lube. Local Jared's sold me my Tag. They said they deal with several American service centers for the various brands that they sell and a couple of them also service Sinn? What does this board say? I know RGM is the only AUTHORIZED Sinn service center. But the watch is out of warranty anyway. Jared's will help me with the shipping. And I have read some negative feedback regarding RGM service (some positive too). The 20 seconds a day is tolerable, but when winding the watch I can hear a "scraping" noise that sounds a little more excessive than I feel is normal. I would hate to think I am damaging it.

Thanks for any feedback.

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
I'd probably ask Jared's who they were going to send it to and check out who's actually going to do the work, but IMO any reputable watchmaker should be able to service a basic ETA movement. I would personally send it to Jack at IWW, simply because he's done work on my watches before, is very reputable, and also very reasonably priced.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd probably ask Jared's who they were going to send it to and check out who's actually going to do the work, but IMO any reputable watchmaker should be able to service a basic ETA movement. I would personally send it to Jack at IWW, simply because he's done work on my watches before, is very reputable, and also very reasonably priced.

Thanks. Who and where is Jack at IWW? I know I could google but him but just wanted some firsthand watch nerd opinions.

The names that have been thrown out their in talking to them have been "Stoll" watch repair and "USA Watch Repair." USA being mentioned previously with my Tag.

I just like that Jared will handle the shipping for me. And by that I mean pack and ship. I assume I will be paying. I just think it is part of their customer service when you drop $3000 on a watch with them. They take care of other things. I brought a Swiss Army in there when I made my final decision on Tag Link. Guy just took the Swiss Army away from me and changed the battery and handed it back. I like that.:)

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
Sent you the link to his site. Jack's very reputable and I expect lots of people around here have used his services, but I have no horse in the race. There's definitely something to be said for the convenience Jared provides you, and also continuing to do biz with someone who has treated you well in the past.

·
Registered
13,418 Posts
either Stoll or USA will do a good job, it's only an eta 28xx movement and no gas/capsule, nothing unusual. Stoll used to be the Sinn US service center back in the day, they are very familiar with Sinn.

·
WatchUSeek Administrator
39,192 Posts
If you're in Houston see Chris Binkley at Ben Bridge in Memorial City Mall. He's a WOSTEP Certified Watchmaker and is an honest-to-goodness watchguy. I think you'll be happy with his work.

When living in North Carolina Jack Alexyon at IWW was my guy. Problem is he's become so popular nowadays that his turnaround time is now measured in years, not weeks. For my Sinn Hydro or Lemania 5100 watches I only trust Sebastian Hoffmann at Sinn in Germany. When in Europe I use Michael Schober in Homburg Germany for pretty much everything but Hydro watches.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you're in Houston see Chris Binkley at Ben Bridge in Memorial City Mall. He's a WOSTEP Certified Watchmaker and is an honest-to-goodness watchguy. I think you'll be happy with his work.

When living in North Carolina Jack Alexyon at IWW was my guy. Problem is he's become so popular nowadays that his turnaround time is now measured in years, not weeks. For my Sinn Hydro or Lemania 5100 watches I only trust Sebastian Hoffmann at Sinn in Germany. When in Europe I use Michael Schober in Homburg Germany for pretty much everything but Hydro watches.

How receptive is Ben Bridge with a guy who has never bought from them?

·
Registered
81 Posts
That Houston Sinn Repair Tip Rocks for his NETX Sinner

Bo thx for the tip re. Chris @ Ben Bridge in H. I need to have my U1 serviced, bought it on WUS (lightly used) & it's starting to lose some time. I'll call first to verify he's still there as I live 3.5hrs. north of H but travel thru there several times a year.

Thx again for the lead brother, how's that 5.56 SCAR-L working out? Asking as my partner & I are a Noveske distributor, so we like the Grant's Pass goodness.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
I have a Sinn 856s UTC. It is out of warranty and PRE gas-filled model. Basically it is losing about 20+ seconds a day. So I believe it needs an overhaul and lube. Local Jared's sold me my Tag. They said they deal with several American service centers for the various brands that they sell and a couple of them also service Sinn? What does this board say? I know RGM is the only AUTHORIZED Sinn service center. But the watch is out of warranty anyway. Jared's will help me with the shipping. And I have read some negative feedback regarding RGM service (some positive too). The 20 seconds a day is tolerable, but when winding the watch I can hear a "scraping" noise that sounds a little more excessive than I feel is normal. I would hate to think I am damaging it.

Thanks for any feedback.
To go back to your original question:

Many Sinn watches use ETA, Valjoux, or now increasingly Sellita movements with little, or no modification.

If it is simply a question or cleaning, oiling and regulating (COR) such a watch, replacing the seals, doing a water resistance check, and maybe polishing the case, any proficient watchmaker will be able to do it referring to the original movement manufacturer's servicing charts and manual.

If it is a watch with de-humidifying technology (Ar gas and/or capsule), only some Sinn appointed service center have the parts and tooling to replace or regenerate the capsule and refill the gas, but if you can live without this technology there is again no need to send a watch farther away.

Highly modified movements, like the Sinn SZ 01, may be better off getting serviced by Sinn, as parts and servicing instructions are not that widely available to independent watchmakers.

In case of your watch; if the watch store has a proficient, reputable watchmaker at hand, I would think twice of sending the watch cross-country, or even back to Germany.
In fact, it could be useful to establish a good rapport with with a local watchmaker near you, in case you have questions or need a minor repair or adjustment later.

Hope this helps....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
WatchUSeek Administrator
39,192 Posts
Re: That Houston Sinn Repair Tip Rocks for his NETX Sinner

Bo thx for the tip re. Chris @ Ben Bridge in H. I need to have my U1 serviced, bought it on WUS (lightly used) & it's starting to lose some time. I'll call first to verify he's still there as I live 3.5hrs. north of H but travel thru there several times a year.

Thx again for the lead brother, how's that 5.56 SCAR-L working out? Asking as my partner & I are a Noveske distributor, so we like the Grant's Pass goodness.
Always happy to help a fellow Sinner out.

The SCAR is a wonderful piece but pales in comparison to a pre-2013 Noveske. John was a true artist and I kick myself in the butt for not picking up a Thunderpig last year when I had the chance. My wife just received a Christianson CA-15 for her birthday and I'm pretty impressed with its quality as well. So many hobbies and too little time. ;-)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Re: That Houston Sinn Repair Tip Rocks for his NETX Sinner

Dallas area? Still trying to spy another Sinn watch in town. (I have a U1 and a 103.) Haven't come across any in the wild...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts