WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The JayHawk site that has such terrific Seiko materials is apparently up and working again. As some know it was down for a little while and the date calculator and other interactive features have been inoperative for a week or two. Its back up:-!:):-D
http://www.ittc.ku.edu/~jgauch/watch/index.html

·
Registered
29,512 Posts
Thank you, I've just taken advantage of the date calculator.

Can I just clarify something? Does production date mean the date the watch was introduced, or the date a particular example was made?

If it's the latter, the SKX007 that I bought a week or two ago was made in January 1996... :think:

·
Premium Member
10,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Production date is based on the Model number and the serial number. Model Number tells them what Decade. Serial number includes in it the year within the decade 0-1 and month 1-0+N&D at the beginning of the serial number. The Production date is the Month and Year the watch was manufactured not introduced.

Some companies do this with their serial numbers - not as many as should IMHO. I think that Bulova was the first to systematically do this in the late-40s or VERY early 50s.|>

·
Registered
29,512 Posts
In that case, my 'new' SKX007 (serial no. 610919) was made in January 1996... and has spent the best part of 11 years sitting idle in a warehouse somewhere. Is that healthy? Here's me waiting for a watch-winder to be delivered when my watch hasn't ticked a tock for over a decade? :think:

·
Banned
11,612 Posts
In that case, my 'new' SKX007 (serial no. 610919) was made in January 1996... and has spent the best part of 11 years sitting idle in a warehouse somewhere. Is that healthy? Here's me waiting for a watch-winder to be delivered when my watch hasn't ticked a tock for over a decade? :think:
No. Your watch was made in January 2006. the production date calculator is not perfect or complete. It lacks every single seiko movement and has a hard time differentiating between decades, especially for movements that were produced for very long time periods. Use it as a guide, but check what it tells you against what you now to be correct about the watch and its movement.

·
Premium Member
10,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For watch models that have been in production across two decades 90s and 00s there can be confusion. No, it is not all-encompassing. It is the best single source on Seikos, particularly mid to high grade Seikos and mechanical and auto movements, around.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts