WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am far from the most eloquent writer, but I'm foinf to try and describe my experience with the 22mm metal strap adapters.

I started out using the standard plastic J&K adapters 16mm to 24mm strap. What I dislike about those are that they only fit a few models, and they sit at such an angle that the strap is either too tight or far too loose on my wrist. Not fun.

Then a couple of weeks ago I took the plunge and ordered a set of the 16mm to 22mm metal strap adapters, mainly because I thought it would look good on my GD350-1B. Hint, it does.

What I like about these metal adapters? They are super easy to install and are very unobtrusive. They will fit ANY G with 16mm lugs as long as the strap is connected via a spring bar. There is space allowing for the adapters to "flex" granting you a better fit to your wrist. Or should I say that they pivot somewhat? Instead of being completely stationary like the 24mm models.

The only negative that I can think of, and I am pucking here, is that there is a gap between the edge of the case and the adapter. It is small but there nonetheless.

Would I recommend these? Without a doubt yes. They are worth the $30 per set. I am putting all of my Gs on these adapters as long as they will work (sorry GDX6900).

If anyone has questions I will try my best to answer them for you.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,063 Posts
Thank you Ken, I have already ordered some plastic shapeways adapters last week and a strap but was thinking about some metal adapters if they seem too flimsy. These seem perfect if it don't work out as the price of the metal shapeways adapters are double this price. Thank you

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Thank you Ken, I have already ordered some plastic shapeways adapters last week and a strap but was thinking about some metal adapters if they seem too flimsy. These seem perfect if it don't work out as the price of the metal shapeways adapters are double this price. Thank you
Happy to help

Reactions: Dxnnis

·
Premium Member
3,063 Posts
Such a shame they are so picky as to who they sell to now, was going to get some for my king but they are not interested in shipping to the UK or most places nowadays. I did email to ask but just got a very unfriendly reply (miserable sods). Hope some other place can fill the gap and start making stuff for the rest of us.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Speaking strictly of squares here, I can confirm the 20mm one is perfect on those, and plays nice with the bezel on the sides.

jaysandkays_16mm-20mm.jpg

To my understanding, as long as you pick the correct one, there's a 22mm one as well which doesn't add to the actual width of the adapter, and instead only makes the adapter's vertical "spikes" 1mm narrower on each side, fitting a 22mm band. Not changing the width, that one is also a nice fit on the sides [of a square G-Shock]. I think it says "small profile" in the item description or something to that effect, you can ask J&K directly on Etsy if unsure, they are (he is?) really friendly about things like that. [Edit: ahh, just see GaryK30's link below, J&K has these small profile ones neatly combined in one product listing these days, with a selectable strap width, can't fail, hah]

All in all, 20/22 mm, it's down to preference which width of strap looks and feels best. I'm a 20mm fan myself :-d, as demonstrated by GaryK30 above -- it's just perfect imo. But yeah, both widths do look good. Then again, what ever you do, don't pick an adapter that has massive overhang on the sides (that is, an adapter which is clearly wider than the actual bezel). Well okay, I guess that's down to preference as well :-d, hnngh, but subjectively it just gives me the chills, haha.

There's been a bit of talk on J&K alternatives here recently, as they stopped shipping to UK and all that (dang), but I must say... at the moment I don't know of any other adapters that are this good. Specifically as good as the J&K metal ones, that is. The shape isn't blocky or bulky at all, sits well on the wrist, and really well made and durable.

·
Registered
7,333 Posts
Speaking strictly of squares here, I can confirm the 20mm one is perfect on those, and plays nice with the bezel on the sides.

View attachment 14381633

To my understanding, as long as you pick the correct one, there's a 22mm one as well which doesn't add to the actual width of the adapter, and instead only makes the adapter's vertical "spikes" 1mm narrower on each side, fitting a 22mm band. Not changing the width, that one is also a nice fit on the sides [of a square G-Shock]. I think it says "small profile" in the item description or something to that effect, you can ask J&K directly on Etsy if unsure, they are (he is?) really friendly about things like that.

All in all, 20/22 mm, it's down to preference which width of strap looks and feels best. I'm a 20mm fan myself :-d, as demonstrated by GaryK30 above -- it's just perfect imo. But yeah, both widths do look good. Then again, what ever you do, don't pick an adapter that has massive overhang on the sides (that is, an adapter which is clearly wider than the actual bezel). Well okay, I guess that's down to preference as well :-d, hnngh, but subjectively it just gives me the chills, haha.

There's been a bit of talk on J&K alternatives here recently, as they stopped shipping to UK and all that (dang), but I must say... at the moment I don't know of any other adapters that are this good. Specifically as good as the J&K metal ones, that is. The shape isn't blocky or bulky at all, sits well on the wrist, and really well made and durable.
I have way more 22mm than 20mm one-piece straps, but having tried the 16/20mm adapters, I think the smaller strap width does look more in proportion to the size of the squares. Also, when I ordered my adapters the 16/22mm ones were sold out (looks like they still are), so this pushed me toward the 16/20mm ones.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/680929481/jaysandkays-gwm5610-16mm-lug-metal?ref=shop_home_active_19&crt=1

·
Registered
142 Posts
Ah, coool, they now have the "small profile" adapters listed as one product, and the strap width is a dropdown menu selection. Makes sense, and thanks for the link! Yep, I also think, in the end, the 20mm one looks more nicely proportioned when actually worn. Like in your pics on the previous page :) ... I did wear a GW-M5610 on a 22mm one-red-striper for months on end when trying to settle on "the" favorite watch to keep, and I do like that feel too, but still.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I just got the lower profile version for my GWM5610, I oped for the 22mm version as I already had the Zulu strap from the previous generation of adapters (also from Jays and Kays), I replaced the supplied spring bars for thicker 2mm diameters as the originals didn't inspire much confidence (the sprung ends wobbled quite a bit). IMG_0069.JPG IMG_0070.JPG

·
Registered
70 Posts
The pics you guys have posted look great! I love how thin the metal adaptors are compared to the vast majority of adaptors I've seen advertised. I've got a set of 20mms on the way to me in Australia - looking forward to getting them on my G-5600E! I'll put up some images once they arrive. :)

·
Premium Member
3,063 Posts
Anyone know of a decent place that can buy and forward some of this stuff to the UK? They don't like us so maybe an option

1 - 20 of 34 Posts