WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all! Long time WUS lurker. First time poster. b-)

I'm looking to purchase a nice sub $1000 dress watch. The Hamilton Jazzmaster Slim in Rose Gold with a black dial is at the top of my list but I have a few questions:

1) Is there somewhere I can check to find more information on this model?
I find the Hamilton website and watch catalog lacking as far as information on materials and specifications.

2) Since it is a rose gold-plated watch will it fade over time and how will the metal eventually look?

3) A watch dealer mentioned that Hamilton used a 10 micron gold-plating process and supposedly it won't fade. What does this mean?

4) I noticed that other versions of this watch can be bought for ~$550. Is $725 a good price for the Rose Gold/black 43mm dial version?

5) Does this watch have any lume? and if so what kind?

Thanks in advance for anyone that can be of assistance.:-!

·
7,972 Posts
Greetings all! Long time WUS lurker. First time poster. b-)

I'm looking to purchase a nice sub $1000 dress watch. The Hamilton Jazzmaster Slim in Rose Gold with a black dial is at the top of my list but I have a few questions:

1) Is there somewhere I can check to find more information on this model?
I find the Hamilton website and watch catalog lacking as far as information on materials and specifications.

2) Since it is a rose gold-plated watch will it fade over time and how will the metal eventually look?

3) A watch dealer mentioned that Hamilton used a 10 micron gold-plating process and supposedly it won't fade. What does this mean?

4) I noticed that other versions of this watch can be bought for ~$550. Is $725 a good price for the Rose Gold/black 43mm dial version?

5) Does this watch have any lume? and if so what kind?

Thanks in advance for anyone that can be of assistance.:-!
Hi Ball....welcome to the forum :-!

1) I always google the model number when I can't find what I want from a brands site....looks like your looking at H38645735, very sharp looking, should look great on Black and Brown straps. Google gives a lot of sales sights, I would email Hamilton directly for more info as well.

2) One thing I have found with ANY plated watch is it will treat you as good as you treat it. If you are not abusing it, it should last for many worry free years.

3) Gold plating is when gold metal is deposited on top of a less expensive metal as the base. 10 microns refers to the thickness of this gold layer. A micron is 1 millionth of an inch, so you can judge yourself how much quality there is in a gold layer with 10 microns of thickness. (copied and pasted from a search)

4) Sounds like its in the ballpark for brand new from an AD....you could probably get used for $400 or so....

5) Hamilton unfortunately is not known for their lume. Looks like they applied a thin touch to the hands....

Hope that helps, I am sure you will hear from other informative members as well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Here are a few more links:
http://www.watchsource.eu/hamilton/hamilton-jazzmaster-slim-automatic-specs-pictures/

http://www.watchconcepts.com/wc/hamilton/h38645735.htm

http://www.watchreport.com/2009/06/index.html

It's a great looking watch and has an ETA 2892-2 movement, which is considered to be very accurate and durable. This movement is used in many high end watches.

Here's a link to an article on the movement:
http://www.chronometrie.com/eta2892/eta2892.html

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
474 Posts
It's a pretty little watch in Rose Gold, that's for sure. I can't add much more than what already has been said. Other than that I don't think lume is traditionally that important in a dress watch of the Slim's style. Any lume is a bonus.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Hey Paul,

I know this is a bit late, as you've got a Hamilton on the way. A Jazzmaster style or Omega Railmaster style watch with a leather band is a very classic look. While I once had a gold tone watch with a brown alligator leather band that I loved, and the gold tone wore off, I hesitated for the longest time investing in another one. That was worn with starched long-sleaved shirts as a young and brazing big-eight auditor licking the end of pencil lead back in the late 1980's, and things have changed.

Your choice of a Jazzmater in 18K is a good one. While I've only gotten back into owning and investing in nice watches within the past year, one thing I've realized is that to own a "gold" tone watch we either have to fork out at least two or three grand or even more (i.e. Tissot's Heritage look), and then three to five grand (Oris) for the classic look, and so the 18K Hamilton is a great alternative. It seems to me that one can find a longer lasting finished watches in the Hamilton than other standard quartz available at almost every jewelry store in every shopping mall.

Recently, I saw an 18K Hamilton with a small seconds dial and the price was very reasonable. Not only that, it looked great. It is on my list.

Please show us your Hamilton when it comes in.

Best regards.

Jack

·
Registered
37 Posts
Late to post, but here it is!

Bought at http://www.dcjewelers.com/ Continental Jewelers in Washington DC. An authorized dealer, ask for Erik if you are looking for a Hamilton, tell him Dr J from California said "HI. You will get professional service and very fair treatment.

I put a deployment clasp on the watch and it looks great. Will post a photo here again when I get the shots taken and processed.

Paul

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
That looks great! I've seen them in person and they are very impressive. I'm bit sure how I feel about the lack of a seconds hand, but it is classic-looking. Congrats!

I know you said you put a deployment clasp on it, but I have to say the new/current Hamilton tang buckles like the one you have are very nice, as well.

·
Registered
37 Posts
That looks great! I've seen them in person and they are very impressive. I'm bit sure how I feel about the lack of a seconds hand, but it is classic-looking. Congrats!

I know you said you put a deployment clasp on it, but I have to say the new/current Hamilton tang buckles like the one you have are very nice, as well.
Will try to get a pic of the deployment on it tomorrow. As to the lack of the second hand, I think that is one of the things I like best about it. Yes, it is nice to see the rapid heartbeat of a mechanical watch rotate it's second hand to reaffirm the pulse of the mechanism, but this watch is about plain and understated ( except for it's generous proportions ) and a lack of a second hand contributes nicely to that goal. Of course, to each his own.

Paul

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm new to this forum and this is my first post. I'm a gear-head like all of you but it's cameras that are my primary obsession. I like the jazzmaster a lot and think the slim is a great way to get the 'better' eta 2892 movement but I like the styling of the viewmaster even more. Am I wrong to 'value' the 2892 so highly as to make it a 'deal-breaker'? Are there other, comparably priced models with the 2892 (Hamilton or other, like ORIS or Longinges) that someone could guide me to?
thanks,
MLMD

1 - 18 of 18 Posts