WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
JEANRICHARD_Aquascope_Rubbergator.jpeg

JEANRICHARD has developed a new kind of strap made from alligator-skin but with the water-resistance of a strap made from 100% rubber. This newly developed strap technology reproduces the actual surface of alligator skin down to the smallest details, while offering total water-proofing and resilience to daily wear and tear in the great outdoors.

A year in the making, a special 3D scan was developed in association with the help of leading Swiss engineering college HEPIA, (Geneva University of applied sciences - technology, architecture and landscape). The scan was capable of actually illustrating the look of alligator skin. Then machining solutions experts Agie Charmillles contributed to the project with the latest technological laser machines capable of reproducing the required texture of this new kind of rubber strap.

Dubbed 'rubbergator' the new strap is good for even the most active summer lifestyle. Rubbergator comes in blue, black, brown or white, and complements the JeanRichard Aquascope model, particularly its ‘star’ version with its steel case, blue anodised-aluminium bezel, automatic movement and 300m water-resistance.

Fitted with a folding clasp, the 'rubbergator' strap is both comfortable to wear and secure on the wrist. Pricing is said to be affordable although it’s not yet known what the price will be. However, the low price point enables the strap to be interchangeable to fit any summer wardrobe and/or activity.

Visit the JeanRichard website

·
Premium Member
7,686 Posts
That'll be particularly cool if they can make it feel like leather too!

·
Registered
20 Posts
They've taken alligator skin and made it waterproof?

What a world of excitement and wonder we live in.
It isn't made from alligator skin, it is made from 100% rubber. That's what's special about this strap. It is made from rubber, but looks like gator. Looking forward to seeing some more pictures of the finished product :)

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
It isn't made from alligator skin, it is made from 100% rubber. That's what's special about this strap. It is made from rubber, but looks like gator. Looking forward to seeing some more pictures of the finished product :)
No, it clearly says alligator skin in the article.

I was being flippant, but a rubber strap with a pattern on it is not even slightly difficult to manufacture.

·
Registered
9,994 Posts
So...

It's a rubber strap stamped with gatorgrain. ... What's new about that? So yeah, they made a fancy renderscan to find the printable pattern, big whoop.
It's still literally stamped rubber. That tech has existed for years.

Reactions: dimman

·
Registered
517 Posts
Alligators everywhere gave a relieved sigh.

Next up, Authentic Waterproof Star Nosed Mole Hide! Realistically reproduced by CRAY computers!

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Old thread, though I thought JR had something like this and was helpful to dig up the details in one place here. Thank you Michael... So we have a rubber strap that is constructed of high quality, with exacting detail to emulate alligator pattern or skin and wear very comfortable. Not sure what the smart mouthed WIS had really to prove here??? as no one still has this available with other favorite brands.

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
Not sure what the smart mouthed WIS had really to prove here???
They were skeptical of a press release. That seems reasonable, given how hard the release tried to make printing a pattern on a rubber strap sound like new technology.

I'd actually call the first paragraph of the blurb outright deceptive. It literally says that the strap is made of gatorskin but with the WR of rubber. In fact, it's made of rubber... with the WR of rubber. Even if we give the benefit of the doubt and assume it was accidentally written in a confusing way, I suspect that opening probably set some readers into a rather cynical posture about the product.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I have to disagree, I think the mate from Australia is terrified because this means the end to his career. Fast forward, and we will see an end to all luxury watch brands utilizing gator skin. So this means the demise to his beloved pastime.... How's that for sarcasm?

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Old thread, though I thought JR had something like this and was helpful to dig up the details in one place here. Thank you Michael... So we have a rubber strap that is constructed of high quality, with exacting detail to emulate alligator pattern or skin and wear very comfortable. Not sure what the smart mouthed WIS had really to prove here??? as no one still has this available with other favorite brands.
Likewise, I'm not sure of the point of your post, or this recent thread bump? Tu quoque.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
They were skeptical of a press release. That seems reasonable, given how hard the release tried to make printing a pattern on a rubber strap sound like new technology.

I'd actually call the first paragraph of the blurb outright deceptive. It literally says that the strap is made of gatorskin but with the WR of rubber. In fact, it's made of rubber... with the WR of rubber. Even if we give the benefit of the doubt and assume it was accidentally written in a confusing way, I suspect that opening probably set some readers into a rather cynical posture about the product.
Indeed it was skepticism, phrased flippantly as is my style (I even clarified my position in a later post). I often like to pepper these forums with posts that attempt to shed humour on this sometimes overly-serious and preposterous hobby of ours. A press release praising a rubber strap as innovation? Nobody else seems to find that a little overblown?

I was merely pointing out the fact that alligators live primarily in water. Still, at least somebody called me smart, even if they did follow with '-mouthed'.

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
Likewise, I'm not sure of the point of your post, or this recent thread bump? Tu quoque.
I'm thinkin' he didn't realize at first that it was a WUS sponsored press release post, and thought the replies were attacking a user review. "Thank you Michael... So we have a rubber strap that is constructed of high quality, with exacting detail to emulate alligator pattern or skin and wear very comfortable" -- he's taking the press release at face value, which he presumably wouldn't do if he recognized what it was.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
I'm thinkin' he didn't realize at first that it was a WUS sponsored press release post, and thought the replies were attacking a user review. "Thank you Michael... So we have a rubber strap that is constructed of high quality, with exacting detail to emulate alligator pattern or skin and wear very comfortable" -- he's taking the press release at face value, which he presumably wouldn't do if he recognized what it was.
Note I never directed that at Michael. I try to make a point of never attacking the poster directly, unless in self defence.

Ironically, I'm aware of the vitriol that somehow gets directed at Michael whenever he posts a press release from certain brands that aren't the usual WUS darlings, are unconventional in design, and not considered 'value for money'. Usually the exact type of brands that market to the WUS Home Page! I don't envy his job, and have every sympathy for him.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I have to disagree, I think the mate from Australia is terrified because this means the end to his career. Fast forward, and we will see an end to all luxury watch brands utilizing gator skin. So this means the demise to his beloved pastime.... How's that for sarcasm?
No 'gators in Australia mate only Crocs, sorry ;).

Reactions: Ace McLoud

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
Wonder how these would stack up against the Hublot version that has been made, well, forever. It was one of the delays in introducing the original Big Bang, getting the look feel and texture of the rubber gator correct, again this was "forever" ago in manufacturing terms.

Interesting older thread, which is more interesting considering JR might not be around too long...

·
Registered
7,210 Posts
I actually have the rubber gator for my JR. It's all right - a change of pace from the usual rubber straps. I paid $120-130 or something for it, which is way too much. Add the additional $120-130 i paid for the deployan (cos i am too lazy to swap them around), and i feel like an idiot.

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
I actually have the rubber gator for my JR. It's all right - a change of pace from the usual rubber straps. I paid $120-130 or something for it, which is way too much. Add the additional $120-130 i paid for the deployan (cos i am too lazy to swap them around), and i feel like an idiot.
I would have done the same thing :( . I have at least 2 straps for all my JR's.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts