WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i had purchased a brand new jlc extreme alarm about 2 months ago and today it stopped working. What could be wrong with it? Has a screw come loose? Since it is under warantee i feel a bit reluctant to open it up amd see, although i am tempted. This has happened to me before on an iwc and i fixed it, however then, there was no warantee. What a bad thing for a watch that retails for 17000usd. Completely disappointed. Any ideas of what happened here? P.s. It didnt get shocked, crashed or what ever.

·
Banned
1,434 Posts
You should take it back to the dealer and see that it is fixed under warranty or replaced. I advise against opening the watch, as this may void your warranty. I am sorry this has happened. Very frustrating.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You should take it back to the dealer and see that it is fixed under warranty or replaced. I advise against opening the watch, as this may void your warranty. I am sorry this has happened. Very frustrating.
I think they will just fix it, everything is repairable. I have a dilema though. I know for sure that there is no jlc repair center in my country so the watch will have to go back to switzerland and waiting time for repair will be much. I know a guy, that is very skilled ex official iwc technician , should i risk taking the watch to him for a quick repair. I think a screw might have come loose. I dont want to wait for 2 months for a jlc repair.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not "may", you will.
Yeah ,i think i wont risk it. I ll take it back to the dealer to get it fixed. After that , i believe rolexes are the toughest, watches around. I have a few other high end watches, all of them have come up with a problem (even lange lost a seconds hand , flipping on the inside of the dial- german perfection,,,). Rolexes not so. I owned a rolex since i was 18 and wore it every single day for 10 years , never serviced it, and it kept on running well with a slight inaccuracy but that was it. All other watches always had problems with the most common one being a loose screw flipping around the case jamming the movement somehow.

·
Registered
947 Posts
While I am a big fan of DYI, I will stay away from touching a fairly complicated movement in your JLC, and I'd say most of the independent watchmakers wont touch it either as they know they cant get any spares, even as simple as screws, in case they need to replace anything inside. It will be a longish wait but that's the risk of dealing with manufacture movements, and one lives to accept it. I never owned a Rolex but have had a fair share of ETA-powered PAMs and these things are indestructible and can be easily fixed by any decent watchmaker for a few $$...but JLC is in different league and this is exactly like comparing Porsche vs VW or Ferrari vs Fiat; the more expensive brand is, more pleasure it gives you, until it breaks:) then everyone starts moaning about expensive parts and longer repair times, using the cheaper sibling as a reference. It just not right....

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
I become a big fan of JLC over the last 2 years and frequent this forum often. I'm the first to say that every brand has issues and JLC is no different then any other luxury mechanical watch but seeing a lot of posts on here lately with issues is discouraging on making a purchase. Maybe it has to do with the fact this is not as active as a forum as some of the other brands and there seems to be more focus here on issues, whatever the case its still bothersome.

·
Registered
947 Posts
JLC's quality and defect rates will be same as any other Richmond premium brands, so I'd say it is just the nature of forum venting...JLC as a brand does not really do a good job of unifying people in same way as Panerai or say Rolex do, when their owners become infested with loyalty and would bash anyone complaining about their shortcomings;) JLC is just a nice, quality product for mainly sophisticated clientele, no passions run lower;)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well i cant say i am happy with the fact that a watch i bought 2 months ago over 13000usd has stopped working. I know problems do happen, but it would be a good idea to quality test every piece in detail before it is placed for sale. The watch has not been abused by me by anyway, something was just wrong with it. yesterday i have undusted my chunky iwc big pilot, to wear till i get the jlc alarm back. by the way i have broken the crown of the bp 3 times, just by twisting with my fingers and paid for it because i couldnt prove that i didnt abuse it. Another quality defect. To other people i have talked about this, they had the same experience with iwc bp and broken crowns. i think i ll get a casio

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Price does not guaranty toughness, something to keep in mind while looking at high-end watches.
for dress watches yes, that is true. jlc extreme alarm is supposed to be kind of a light sports watch. i didn't do any sports with it, only desktop office kind of sports. i still think this shouldn't happen, or at least it shouldn't happen that soon. it is a 2 month old watch...

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
for dress watches yes, that is true. jlc extreme alarm is supposed to be kind of a light sports watch. i didn't do any sports with it, only desktop office kind of sports. i still think this shouldn't happen, or at least it shouldn't happen that soon. it is a 2 month old watch...
No, this is not normal for any watch, regardless of price. This is a defect and I'm sure JLC will take care of it under warranty. I'm sorry to hear that you got a defected watch but I don't think this is the norm for JLC watches. The problems you had with the Big Pilot though, sounds to me like a design flaw (as I heard many instances of that problem) rather than individual occurrences.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have been informed that my watch is going for holidays in Germany , where the jlc service center is and will probably stay there for some time. I m very happy. I have spent my money, well this time, including free eu holidays . I also have the jlc navy seals and that by now is out of warrantee. I hope that doesnt brake too, since braking up is normal as many of you guys mention on this forum.

·
Registered
40 Posts
It is very frustrating to have encountered this kind of quality problem with a premium brand. sorry for it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Still have not received the watch back from JLC. I have been told that i will receive it by the end of this month.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Still have not received the watch back from JLC. I have been told that i will receive it by the end of this month.
An update, i have received info from jlc through the local dealer that my watch, althouth it has been fixed, it has been measured as inaccurate and must stay there fro another 2 weeks, :-|:-|

1 - 20 of 20 Posts