WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

i have just joined the forum to post about a recent experience.

I own a JLC Master Calendar purchased from an AD in January 2015.

I have worn this watch on average 6 times per month and obviously never did any sports of took the watch to water.

As I do not own a winder I often find myself setting the time and date by rotating the crown (I do not like to use quick set) sometimes correcting the time from 4/5 days of the in the past.

Recently I have realised that 1) it takes more force to pull out the crown and 2) when rotating the crown I need to apply more torque. The watch appears to keep good time. The difference in smoothness of the crown is noticeable.

I presume that the watch needs lubrication and called JLC about this. They quoted me GBP 720 for a full service.

I find this excessive and painful on a watch that has had so little wrist time. I own a few other watches (patek, rolex, panerai) use the JLC the least. None of the other watches has ever given me issues.

Any thoughts on what the issue could be and experiences that you can share with JLC service?

Thanks
JF

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Patek servicing is lots more than JLC so I find your questioning the cost...

I doubt the movement needs servicing ie. lubrication...unless it's been sitting a long long time at the AD prior to your purchase. If it keeps good accuracy, I wouldn't service it just yet.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Patek servicing is lots more than JLC so I find your questioning the cost...

I doubt the movement needs servicing ie. lubrication...unless it's been sitting a long long time at the AD prior to your purchase. If it keeps good accuracy, I wouldn't service it just yet.
Thanks, That's what I will probably do. Indeed I question the cost because the calatrava has been going strong for 10 years and the JLC after 3 years already hints that a service is required.

My friend who owns a JLC perpetual had to get it fixed right after the warranty expired. My overall experience with JLC is that they need more frequent servicing and fail more frequently than Patek (and certainly rolex) - Is this a fair and backed by what other users have experienced?

·
Premium Member
Omega AT Day Date SS, Omega De Ville Trésor YG
4,040 Posts
The watch works, why do need to service it? Mind you, it will tell you loudly when it will really need a service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Both my JLCs haven't been serviced yet...going into the 9th year with the oldest. I don't use winders just for the record. Whether that made a difference or not, I cannot conclusively say. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts