WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

I am planning to buy another one in the near future. (Recently bought Omega PO 43.5mm GMT)

This time, I'd like to choose between JLC Master Control 39MM and Brietling SO Heritage 46MM. Pictures and Price details below.

Which of these has better movement in terms of built quality and precision.

JLC Master Control - 5030 USD
Brietling SO Heritage - 3650 USD

JLC_MasterControl_39MM_Date.png Brietling_SO Heritage_46MM.jpg

·
Registered
419 Posts
JLC hands down. If you want a superocean, make sure you try it on. The 46mm is giant, especially lug to lug. There is a smaller version of the watch to consider if you are interested in the Breitling.

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
Both very good quality watches.
Having handled both at ADs - I'd say finish and attention to details is roughly the same. As is overall quality.
Precision - both will perform well - JLC is pretty accurate and Breitling is a COSC chronometer.
Movement on JLC is in-house, but specs are pretty close and Breitling will be easier\cheaper to service.
Prestige - JLC has an edge, even though Breitling has more brand recognition on the street.

Really the big question is which appeals most and wears better. These are very different watches stylistically. 46mm vs 39 mm is a huge size gap.
Comparing 42mm SOH vs 39mm MC is better, but still - one is a dressy diver\sports watch, while the other is a sporty\dress watch

·
Banned
844 Posts
If cost differential is not an issue, I'd go with the JLC because you already have a dive watch in the PO you mentioned. The JLC will fill a different role while the SOH is a bit redundant.

·
Registered
15,469 Posts
That B is probably the only one that draws aesthetically so tough, but I'd still lean on JLC by a hair

Reactions: taurean123

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
This is a good answer.

Both very good quality watches.
Having handled both at ADs - I'd say finish and attention to details is roughly the same. As is overall quality.
Precision - both will perform well - JLC is pretty accurate and Breitling is a COSC chronometer.
Movement on JLC is in-house, but specs are pretty close and Breitling will be easier\cheaper to service.
Prestige - JLC has an edge, even though Breitling has more brand recognition on the street.

Really the big question is which appeals most and wears better. These are very different watches stylistically. 46mm vs 39 mm is a huge size gap.
Comparing 42mm SOH vs 39mm MC is better, but still - one is a dressy diver\sports watch, while the other is a sporty\dress watch

·
Registered
3 Posts
JLC since you already have PO ... It will make a good couple :) make sure to get a strap along with bracelet. JLC movement has an edge over ETA - no questions. Maybe not in terms of reliability and precision, but for sure in terms of finish & exclusivity. One of the few true manufacturers with rich history.

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,798 Posts
JLC on looks, size and bracelet. The Breitling case, dial and hands look great. The watch is way too big and the mesh bracelet looks like an after market addition.

·
Registered
7,768 Posts
From design, I like the Breitling. They need to bring it to 42mm to be acceptably BIG. I find the JLC a bit boring.

with everything in consideration and the price, I'll go JLC.

·
Banned
2,341 Posts
The JLC has the quality of exquisite subtle design. The Breitling strikes me as being neither fish nor foul; a dive watch on a jewelry bracelet. You will kick yourself later if you pass up the JLC for the Breitling. BTW, I don't hate Breitling, I am wearing a Colt as I type this, I just don't like this Breitling SO Heritage 46mm .

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
I am a huge JLC fan, but I think the Breitling looks much better if you can rock the 46mm. There is just something horribly wrong with how the date window conforms with the Arabic numbers on the master control. I think if the date window was at 6 o'clock it would jive with me better. With the date at 3 o'clock it just looks really really wrong.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
2 totally different watches makes it tough to compare. Overall though I'd take the JLC.

'Which of these has better movement in terms of built quality and precision'

Could argue this for a while. Breitling 17 is an ETA 2824-2 base which is proven, reliable and cheaper to service. JLC Caliber 899 is in-house, better finishing and with some robust features taken from their auto-tractor 975 such as ceramic ball bearings for the rotor, SPYR gear teeth and laser welded hairspring.

If you are using your watch for beater style rough and tumble, I'd go for the Breitling. If for a more formal setting, the JLC.

Reactions: taurean123

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
I might be the odd one here but while on paper and by WUS Law JLC MC is a much better watch than the Breitling, its just one of the most boring watches out there. It looks absolutely dull in person, there is nothing of interest, its simple taken a bit too far IMO. Sure you can see the pretty movement in the back but thats gonna get old quite soon.

THe Breitling SO OTOH is an appealing sports watch and really looks great in person and feels good as well. Its significantly more interesting and while it doesnt have the same movement and pedigree chops as the JLC, its a far more interesting watch at a significantly lower price point.

I would heed the advice of the folks who asked you to wear the 46mm and try it though, the lugs are huge and while it does have a largish modern wrist presence that many folks like, it really is a massive watch. The 42mm might be a better option for most folks.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
I think the SOH is one of the best looking divers available, regardless of price. I have a flat, 7.5" wrist and the 46mm version fits me perfectly. Plus, the dial is better balanced than the 42.

soh samanator-001.jpg

Looks great on mesh to me.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Depends on your style. I love my SOH but admit it is a bit flashy. The mesh is IMHO amazingly comfortable and different from most other bracelets, but very high quality. Not at all aftermarket quality as suggested above.

I'm sure the JLC has the better movement and better WIS cred, but you can't see the movement and to me this JLC is kind of a boring/old man watch.

Again I'm obviously biased, but go with what you think looks best on your wrist.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Depends on your style. I love my SOH but admit it is a bit flashy. The mesh is IMHO amazingly comfortable and different from most other bracelets, but very high quality. Not at all aftermarket quality as suggested above.

I'm sure the JLC has the better movement and better WIS cred, but you can't see the movement and to me this JLC is kind of a boring/old man watch.

Again I'm obviously biased, but go with what you think looks best on your wrist.

The JLC Master Control Date does have a display caseback.

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/hands-on-with-the-jaeger-lecoultre-master-control-date-live-pics

1 - 20 of 26 Posts