WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I would have the opportunity to acquire a JLC Master Hometime ref. 1628420.

Can you tell me if you know known differences between the two ref. IDs besides the look, I mean mechanism etc.? Is the strap identical in both - with deployante fold mechanism?
I assume JLC Master Hometime ref. 1628420 is part of previous collection ended in 2008 while the new layout JLC Master Hometime ref. 1628430 started from 2008 on..

old one..1628420

new one:1628430

What do you think?
Is worse in your opinion than the new model in terms of aesthetic, mechanism etc.? Should I pass the opportunity - price is 3.8 kEUR (state 1, but basically like new as was very little used)
At one point I was considering the IWC Portuguese chronograph, in the same price range..but I don't know JLC has 'something' special in my eyes, even more 'classy' in addition to in-house mechanism..

I look forward for some quick opinions to help me clarify and decide...

thanks in advance

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Also Reverso Squadra Hometime GMT looks tempting (found this new at approx 5kEUR new at AD in Torino, price strangely slightly higher than Master Hometime, although normally the last one should be higher as list price).
I'm curios what do you think regarding this particular model versus the Hometime Master model, as calibre is different from what I see: 977 vs. 975H..still is ranked lower as list price (by approx 500 EUR), why?

I would really appreciate some help in deciding between 3 models:
-go for the pre-owned 1628420 at 3.8kEUR
-go for a pre- owned 1628430 at around 4kEUR
-buy new 1628430 at around 5kEUR
-buy new ref. 7008420 at around 5kEUR (intention is to have a classy formal watch so I cannot go for the rubber strap variant)

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
The two versions of Master Hometime/Dualtime share the same movement 975H. I'm not sure if the straps/deployants are the same but I suspect that they are. JLC's calibre 977 (in the Reverso Squandra Hometime) is very much the same as the 975H, sharing the same autotractor features so I don't think there is any technical advantage from one to another. So in my opinion, it all comes down to look, which is highly subjective.

One caveat is that the Squandra (being a square-shaped watch) can be trickly and I highly recommend that you try on all three before making a decision. I really like the look of the Squandra but don't think it will fit my wrist very well. My next choice would be the newer Master Hometime.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
The two versions of Master Hometime/Dualtime share the same movement 975H. I'm not sure if the straps/deployants are the same but I suspect that they are. JLC's calibre 977 (in the Reverso Squandra Hometime) is very much the same as the 975H, sharing the same autotractor features so I don't think there is any technical advantage from one to another. So in my opinion, it all comes down to look, which is highly subjective.

One caveat is that the Squandra (being a square-shaped watch) can be trickly and I highly recommend that you try on all three before making a decision. I really like the look of the Squandra but don't think it will fit my wrist very well. My next choice would be the newer Master Hometime.
thanks so much for your advices, I was about to lose faith that anyone would answer my stupid/inexperienced question; now looking at the price offers in my 4 scenarios above what would you suggest: pre-owned at around 4kEUR or new at 5kEUR?
even with not so much experience some pros and cons clearly comes to my mind..
I would like to know if price difference of 1-1.2 kEUR would balance those cons in your opinion?

Or maybe have another suggestion/JLC model to a budget around 5kEUR...
I like to be classic/formal but to have also at least one complication...

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
thanks so much for your advices, I was about to lose faith that anyone would answer my stupid/inexperienced question; now looking at the price offers in my 4 scenarios above what would you suggest: pre-owned at around 4kEUR or new at 5kEUR?
even with not so much experience some pros and cons clearly comes to my mind..
I would like to know if price difference of 1-1.2 kEUR would balance those cons in your opinion?

Or maybe have another suggestion/JLC model to a budget around 5kEUR...
I like to be classic/formal but to have also at least one complication...
For the pre-owned pieces, one thing to keep in mind is the service history. For pieces that have not been serviced recently, you will have to factor in service cost. So in your case, with the difference between new and used of about $1kEUR, I would probably choose between the new Hometime and new Squandra.

I have considered the IWC Port. Chrono before, but it just doesn't look good on my wrist. Plus, I would pick the Master Hometime or Squandra over it because the quality you find in these pieces are above the Port. Chrono (you also get a display back in the JLCs). With the Hometime or Squandra, you get a watch that is a little sporty that is suitable for weekend casual wear and can easily be dressed up for semi-formal wear (e.g., business suits). You also get a very rugged and reliable movement, and a very well implemented GMT complication.

It is difficult to recommend you other watches because I think you have found the few that are of tremendous value at your price point. I would also consider the IWC Ingy 3239 if you want something sportier and on bracelet. On the dressier side, I would say the MUT Moon (but it might a stretch on your price range)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
For the pre-owned pieces, one thing to keep in mind is the service history. For pieces that have not been serviced recently, you will have to factor in service cost. So in your case, with the difference between new and used of about $1kEUR, I would probably choose between the new Hometime and new Squandra.

I have considered the IWC Port. Chrono before, but it just doesn't look good on my wrist. Plus, I would pick the Master Hometime or Squandra over it because the quality you find in these pieces are above the Port. Chrono (you also get a display back in the JLCs). With the Hometime or Squandra, you get a watch that is a little sporty that is suitable for weekend casual wear and can easily be dressed up for semi-formal wear (e.g., business suits). You also get a very rugged and reliable movement, and a very well implemented GMT complication.

It is difficult to recommend you other watches because I think you have found the few that are of tremendous value at your price point. I would also consider the IWC Ingy 3239 if you want something sportier and on bracelet. On the dressier side, I would say the MUT Moon (but it might a stretch on your price range)
exactly my thoughts regarding service cost plus probably also the leather strap exchange plus maybe additional polish needed which will rise up to 1kEUR...
plus in case of one of the pre-owned mentioned above -although I do not doubt the authenticity- it lacks box and official JLC certificate..maybe I'm a bit obsessed and over passionate but I would not imagine to throw these away when buying this kind of watch..and buying it myself with my name on the papers will undoubtedly feel more special:)
I also thought about MUT Moon, the Torino AD I was mentioning before has this at around 5.7kEUR as new...clearly more formal and elegant.
Since I travel a lot GMT complication on Hometime models I think will be more useful though..

Not as an alternative but I have(and most likely will) considered also IWC Portofino Chronograph IW391007 (white dial/brown strap), even if inferior to Portuguese Chrono I have the feeling looks much better on my wrist and also has a nice design. Would I be doing a terrible mistake?

·
Banned
1,434 Posts
The dial on the current Master Hometime looks more balanced. On the other hand, I like the older model's night/day indicator which seems more simple and intuitive when checking the second timezone. The current model looks to have redundant second timezone indicators, with the blued hand plus the 24-hour dial which replaces the jour/nuit indicator. With the 24-hour dial I'm not sure why the blued hour hand is even necessary.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
exactly my thoughts regarding service cost plus probably also the leather strap exchange plus maybe additional polish needed which will rise up to 1kEUR...
plus in case of one of the pre-owned mentioned above -although I do not doubt the authenticity- it lacks box and official JLC certificate..maybe I'm a bit obsessed and over passionate but I would not imagine to throw these away when buying this kind of watch..and buying it myself with my name on the papers will undoubtedly feel more special:)
I also thought about MUT Moon, the Torino AD I was mentioning before has this at around 5.7kEUR as new...clearly more formal and elegant.
Since I travel a lot GMT complication on Hometime models I think will be more useful though..

Not as an alternative but I have(and most likely will) considered also IWC Portofino Chronograph IW391007 (white dial/brown strap), even if inferior to Portuguese Chrono I have the feeling looks much better on my wrist and also has a nice design. Would I be doing a terrible mistake?
I agree with you. If you are spending this kind of money to get something nice for yourself, it's better to pay a little more to get the assurance of authenticity and guarantee.

If you find the GMT complication useful (as I do), you would love the Master Hometime or Squandra Hometime. I have the Compressor version (Compressor GMT) and have been using it as my everyday watch.

Regarding your question, are you asking whether getting the Portofino Chrono instead of the Portuguese Chrono is a terrible mistake? I think the Portofino is a very good looking watch, although lacking some of the heritage you would get with the Portuguese. But if it looks good on your wrist, that's what matters. Even though the Portuguese chrono isn't big in diameter (40.9mm), it looks oddly huge on my smallist wrist. Interestingly, the Portuguese Automatic (at 42.3mm) looks even more proper on my wrist than the Chrono.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
The current model looks to have redundant second timezone indicators, with the blued hand plus the 24-hour dial which replaces the jour/nuit indicator. With the 24-hour dial I'm not sure why the blued hour hand is even necessary.
This question gets asked once in a while. To me, the 24- hour sub dial is no different than the jour/nuit indicator in the older version, except that it adds more information by including the 24 hour markers. I usually treat it as a day/night indicator rather than as my main source of telling the time in the reference time zone. The skeleton hour hand is much easier to read at a quick glance when I want to quickly know the time in the reference time zone (it's more for me to read the time in a 12 hour analog format). In cases where I travel to a place with less than 12 hour of time difference, I do not even need to refer to the 24 hour sub dial.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I like the ref. 1628420. The dial is much more unique and almost has a slight sportiness that makes it more versatile. The newer versions dial is on the generic side imo. As far as the movements, they are very similar if not the same. I am also looking at both and it seems as though the older version is more coveted amongst watch aficionados. My two cents. Try them both on and you'll see what I mean.
I would have the opportunity to acquire a JLC Master Hometime ref. 1628420.

Can you tell me if you know known differences between the two ref. IDs besides the look, I mean mechanism etc.? Is the strap identical in both - with deployante fold mechanism?
I assume JLC Master Hometime ref. 1628420 is part of previous collection ended in 2008 while the new layout JLC Master Hometime ref. 1628430 started from 2008 on..

old one..1628420

new one:1628430

What do you think?
Is worse in your opinion than the new model in terms of aesthetic, mechanism etc.? Should I pass the opportunity - price is 3.8 kEUR (state 1, but basically like new as was very little used)
At one point I was considering the IWC Portuguese chronograph, in the same price range..but I don't know JLC has 'something' special in my eyes, even more 'classy' in addition to in-house mechanism..

I look forward for some quick opinions to help me clarify and decide...

thanks in advance

1 - 10 of 10 Posts