WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have just found a Jaeger LeCoultre movement and dial lacking case and crown but in decent condition. I'm now trying to find a suitable crown so I can check how well it runs. You never know. Without soliciting valuations is there a significant market for this piece lacking as it does a case (presumably scrapped)?
Roy

JaegerLC-818-3220018.JPG

JaegerLC-818-3220019.JPG

·
Registered
78 Posts
Unfortunately you do not indicate the size of the movement. But my guess is that it is a calibre 818 size 9.25'" (20.9 mm) which dates from the late fifties but seems to have been used into the nineties.
As for the crown, the stem is visible, why don't you measure it? If I'm right about the calibre the Flume number should be W2857 and the Marshall nr LE1429L

·
Banned
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Remiss of me to have omitted the details - which I got from the Ranfft site. You are correct. And I had measured the stem with a micrometer. The average diameter seems to be 0.88mm. Now the question is what to do with it...
Roy

·
Registered
78 Posts
0.88 ~ 0.9 that is pretty standard. You'll have no problems finding a crown of that size.
As for what to do. You could try putting it on the bay, but don't expect too much. I don't know in what kind kind of watch this movement was used but I'm afraid it was a ladies model, which might also be the reason for the missing case.
Or you could be modern and try to fabricate a new case with a 3D printer. There are new filaments on the market with metal particles, so you can give the case a nice shine. :)

·
Registered
242 Posts
The freakish rise in gold prices was a disaster for vintage watches---an abject calamity.

Countless cases got sent as scrap to a refiner. Even gold-filled cases got melted.

It's depressing. You have a great movement that deserves a home.

Reactions: esdy_11192
1 - 5 of 5 Posts