WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there! I recently purchased a used Jaeger LeCoultre MUTM online, and I have a few more days left within the return window. I previously had a JLC Reserve de Marche, sold it, and purchased the MUTM because I like the less cluttered dial (and the indicator on a 40-hour power reserve wasn’t as useful as I had imagined).

Because a new JLC MUTM runs in the low $7K's/high $6K’s from an online AD, and because my budget is more mid-to-low $5K’s (if not lower) I was looking to buy a mint used. I found one for mid $5K, with “box and papers”, mildly used.

Receiving it, there were a few red flags:
1. The book was for an older model (Pre-MUT updated release)
2. The pusher was obviously after market (all steel, no plastic tip as JLC pushers have)
3. The band was put on backwards (not a big deal, but odd)
4. I called the jeweler in Switzerland where the Authorized Dealer certificate is from, and the representative said they have not sold JLC for a few years, outdating this model
5. Most importantly, there are a few very small but significant dents on the steel bezel (especially at 11 o’clock); the dents don’t go all the way through the bezel edge to the interior of the bezel (where it meets the sapphire), but the dents a) catch the light occasionally, and b) leave me to question if the water resistance has been compromised, or could be in the future

On the plus side:
1. The box appears genuine
2. Everything I can see/compare to leads me to believe it is a genuine JLC, not a high end reproduction; the hands, indexes, logo, caseback, movement finishing & screws, movement word placing, etc.; everything looks in order
3. It keeps impeccable time
4. It looks really great, if you can ignore the dings/dents, which most people would not notice; see pictures

Front.JPG
Back.JPG
Top Dent2 - Copy.JPG
Bottom Dent - Copy.JPG

So, a few questions:

Should I still be worried this is a knock off?

If I may want to sell this down the line, does the lack of authentic papers and the dings set me back that much?

Should I return it and either 1) pony up for a brand new MUTM, or 2) wait until a more mint used comes along?

I’m leaning toward asking for a refund of a few hundred dollars to account for the dings that were not described, or else returning and playing the waiting game.
Any advice appreciated!!!

·
Premium Member
3,486 Posts
I cannot speak for whether it's a replica or not (looks good to me, frankly, but I'm no JLC expert), but I would observe that if you're bothered enough by the small dings and scratches to warrant sending it back for refund - in spite of it keeping excellent time - then I would say that nothing short of a NIB model is going to satisfy your appetite. Waiting for a new-old stock MUT Moonphase to appear on the grey market in your price range may become an exercise in frustration.

Regards,
Alysandir

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Alysandir! I fear you may be right about perhaps nothing short of NIB satisfying. But I am curious if any JLC experts out there see authenticity red flags I haven't, or have strong opinions on re-sale prospects. Or, maybe I just need to hear "looks legit, get over the non-noticeable dings".

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
Hi Dorian. I would immediately send it back, without hesitation given the state of the watch. I cannot insist enough. Peace of mind is priceless. I'm no expert but there is enough information there to have reasonable doubts. GET RID OF IT.

That kind of money will buy you a 2016 unworn MUT Moonphase with box and papers. I saw one last month on chrono24 at 5,300 EUR and was about to pull the trigger but too late, already gone.

Get your money back while you can and keep looking.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

·
Registered
414 Posts
I personally would return it and keep searching for another one that doesn't have the red flags as you pointed them out. Or maybe the budget will increase in a bit?

It's a great watch, wouldn't want to ruin the experience by compromising on it as you have already found "issues" that make you uncomfortable enough to post about them.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Yikes that is a lot of money for a used JLC, which as I understand, don't hold value well anyway. Definitely return that and move on.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for everyone’s advice! It occurred to me that I should close the loop here – especially in the event I ever do want to sell this bad boy.

The punch line is that I did end up keeping he watch, although I requested a few hundred dollars rebate from the seller due to the dents which were unobservable from the pictures. The seller agreed (somewhat begrudgingly), and I feel comfortable I got closer to “market” price for its condition. Even though several of you mentioned JLC’s losing their value, I’ve been monitoring forums for used JLC MUT Moon 39s and haven’t seen anything near the mid-low $5’s, so I’m content.

In the end Alysandir was right – I was hung up on not having something “fresh” of my own. After wearing the watch for a couple weeks, I realized that no one beside me would notice the dings (my wife repeatedly asked me what I was talking about), and the watch looks great.

As for confirming its legitimacy, I had dropped by one of the two nice jewelers in my city that is an AD for multiple brands (one carries Swatch brands, the other Richemont + Rolex & PP, go figure; I was in the latter), and lo and behold they had begun to carry JLC just before the holidays. I was originally worried I would have to send it off to get checked by an AD, but this solved that problem.

The salesperson confirmed it is legitimate, but I also had their repair guy view under a loupe and said it’s legit without question (I never fully trust salespeople, and it was a slow day so the repair guy didn’t mind). They followed up to confirm the sale origin, which they said was in the swiss town from its papers. I guess I botched my request when speaking to the salesperson either due to the language barrier or skype connection, or called the wrong place for all I know.

So all-in-all, I think I got a beautiful watch at a reasonable price for its used condition. Going on a few months now it keeps excellent time as you would expect. As you can see from the pictures below, I got a brown strap to make it look a little more casual at work. The brown also makes the color of the moonphase pop.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Love a story with a happy ending!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts