WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
If you can literally afford to burn $10k, and you love the watch, sure. (I'm not being facetious there; I've know people who could lose that much on a casual bet and not care.) If that is a substantial amount to your finances I'd say go with a vintage or at least used Reverso. JLC has made them with mechanical movements and you could budget half as much or less. Depreciation would certainly be a lot less over time.

·
Banned
5,307 Posts
JLC for sure jut because it's prettier. JD a bit bland for that model but usually better than JLC visually.

·
Registered
7,412 Posts
That Reverso is very pretty but c'mon, Comet...Quartz - really?? Even if it is just for occasional wear, you'll be happier with a hand-wind in the long run!

·
Banned
5,307 Posts
Given Montblanc has been making JLC clones perhaps something from them?

Reactions: devlred

·
Banned
2,843 Posts
I am a girl looking for an evening watch ....Which of the two watches to choose jlc is quartz and cartier is automatic ...wanted to if it's worth splurging on 10000 American dollars on jlc quartz?
The JLC. I am sure you can purchase a lady Reverso for less than $10k if having precious metals isn't a must for you...

My other option is jacquet droz watch ...which I am still not sure about ...how jacquet droz aromatic watches?
I bet they smell good!!! :)

Reactions: MisterHo

·
Registered
7,210 Posts
A girl? On WUS? *faints*

Oh yeah, the watch. JLC. Automatic. Several nice Reversos for well under the $10k mark street price.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
If I'm u, I'll choose Cartier. For some reason, the brand is more elegant to pronounce and less masculine.

But because I'm a guy, I'll go for JLC.

sent from moto x

·
Registered
486 Posts
You are reading the lack of love for Cartier that prevails in the forum. It is funny that most people in this community are soul defenders of mechanical watches and yet you are receiving recommendations on a quartz watch over a mechanical Cartier.

Cartier's design is one of the best in the world. The Tank you chosen is a beauty. I am not sure if it has an in house movement or the ETA inside but either way you will love the fit, feel and finish of the watch. You will also love the brand recognition this watch receives. As you have read, some recommend to buy a second hand, no gold Reverso. I think that a girl should always go for new and precious metals, but hey, thats just me and every girl I know.

To me its a no brainer, go for Cartier

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I think some are confused. OP is asking to choose between those two models. Not to choose between brands.
As in women watches I prefer Cartier models instead of JLC. Most women associate luxury watches with either Rolex or Cartier. But I do not like this particular Cartier Tank, I prefer a Ballon Blue.
cartier-ballon-bleu-silver-dial-stainless-steel-diamond-ladies-watch-we902080.jpg

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
I would go for the JLC. Visually the design is much more attractive to me than the Cartier (the Cartier looks bulky, the JLC looks more svelte). That said, the two tone nature is a bit of a turnoff for me. Many of us would not choose a quartz at that price, but how the watch looks and pulls on you is important. I would not buy a watch with some brand new state of the art 10/10 movement if the case it came in looked like a dog.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Nope. But the Reverso looks like it was designed and launched two weeks ago. it is a timeless watch, unlike the tank, that is, imho, just old fashioned.
We are all entitled to our own humble opinion. My humble opinion regarding JLC designs is that the Reverso (all of them) is kind of ugly. The horizontal stripes on both ends of the case make me "see" a greek column every time I look at one. I understand, appreciate and honor the horological achievement, purpose of the design and history behind the Reverso and JLC in general. Just not my favorite flavor. I do believe that there are some folks around here that would give up a kidney to own a Reverso (To own a Reverso puts the in the "conoceur" circle) because of its brand and lineage and not because they consider the watch beautiful.

Then again, given my choice of watches I own. it is clear that I favor design and looks over horological value. yes, I am one of those really dumb fellows that paid 8k for a gold Ball watch with a common ETA movement just because he really liked it.
Cheers

1 - 20 of 52 Posts