WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Watch URL:
https://www.jaeger-lecoultre.com/us...ger-lecoultre-plrs-geographic-wt/904847J.html

JLC Polaris Geographic WT - 904847J - Limited Edition

I really want to get this model but I'm worried about resale value, this watch is only sold in boutiques with no disccount.

What do you guys think about value retention for this piece (most people I've talked to think this watch would make me lose money)? I would like to avoid losing a lot of money if I have to sell it in the far future for some reason, not looking to make money on resale, I just want to get an item that won't necessarly make me lose thousaunds if I have to sell.

The watch's MSRP is US$13,800

1714280.png.crop.1000.high.grey.jpeg

·
Registered
275 Posts
Love that watch. My favourite in the Polaris collection by a long way. The dial is a stunner. I think I’d prefer it on the rubber strap they use for the date model though as not sure about croc straps on sport watches.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm finding this watch for about US$11,000 in the gray market and for about US$7,500 pre-owned... It's seems to be the case, this watch depreciates massively from the retail price.

·
Registered
275 Posts
That’s always going to be the case with JLC (and most brands other than Rolex and PP it seems).
Btw I’ve never seen these available used and would certainly be interested at the price you’re suggesting. If you don’t buy it let me know where you saw it for 7.5k 🙂

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Guys, I pulled the trigger on the watch in all the sources I found and all of them had it listed but didn't have it in hand at the moment, they were all BS listings.

So I stand corrected, I haven't found this piece under retail anywhere yet.

·
Registered
27 Posts
This is boutique only edition. I doubt you can find it anywhere else. At least not for now. I put in my order with my local boutique last May and did not get it until late October. They gave me a 5% discount, but that is really for the mall since when you make a purchase over a certain dollar amount, they give you a cash back.

JLCs will not retain value in general, since it is not a popular brand in general. However, my personal believe is that if you are buying a watch and also worrying about the future value of it, then it loses the fun part of it. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is boutique only edition. I doubt you can find it anywhere else. At least not for now. I put in my order with my local boutique last May and did not get it until late October. They gave me a 5% discount, but that is really for the mall since when you make a purchase over a certain dollar amount, they give you a cash back.

JLCs will not retain value in general, since it is not a popular brand in general. However, my personal believe is that if you are buying a watch and also worrying about the future value of it, then it loses the fun part of it. Just my opinion.
The posibility to lose a considerable percentage of US$13,800 + TAX must be considered even if it is not fun, I'm not a ritch guy, I must think about these things, my yearly rent is WAY under the value of this watch.

Guys, monetary retention is a big factor in the purchase of any item... I don't understand why some people think otherwise... Making decisions without the full picutre might be fun but it is foolish as well without a dubt.

#NonRitchWatchLocversMatterToo

·
Registered
275 Posts
... I don't understand why some people think otherwise...
It isn't a big factor if you're not going to sell it. Of course it is understandable that for many people it is important but it shouldn't be too hard to understand why it may not be for others. People spend vast amounts on experiences, holidays, food etc which have no monetary retention. Is that foolish?

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update:
I have not been able to find this watch cheaper than retail anywhere from a source that actually has it.

If you guys know of a reliable seller to get this model under retail please let me know!

If I cannot find it under retail I will pull the trigger on it in the coming weeks, this watch is absolutely astounding in person.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
I tried this watch on and it's beautiful in person, good luck in your search but I think you are going to be forced to either pay full retail now or wait in hopes of one popping up on the secondary market.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
It isn't a big factor if you're not going to sell it. Of course it is understandable that for many people it is important but it shouldn't be too hard to understand why it may not be for others. People spend vast amounts on experiences, holidays, food etc which have no monetary retention. Is that foolish?
I couldn’t agree more. I’m not a rich person either, but I don’t own any watches over my yearly mortgage yet (however that might change soon as I’m itching for an AP royal oak in a few years). I try not to consider resale value, as if I’m buying a new piece from an AD, I better love it and it better stay in my collection for a few years. From that perspective, I look at it from a cost of ownership perspective, very similarly how I would treat a car.

With that being said, I’ve only purchased 2 watches from ADs, and the majority of my collection has come from the second hand market where resale value is a little more important to me as I don’t want to buy a watch that is used at the pinnacle of its value, and pay someone else for wearing it a few years. Just my humble opinion.

OP: CONGRATS ON THE PICKUP!!! I’m seriously considering a Polaris. Torn between the Chrono and the time only version.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts