WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The two finalists are the JLC Tribute to Deep Sea Chronograph and the Blancpain Fifty Fathoms Automatic (either 5015 or 5015c, but kind of leaning to 5015c). I am hoping for something timeless, versatile and for every day use. Any suggestions are welcome.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
5015 and 5015c are 45mm wide and 15mm tall - have you tried them on? The lugs turn down so they can fit, but they are not small watches.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
JLC:
Pros
-integrated chronograph movement
-ceramic case
Cons
-Kevlar strap wears off easier
-WR 100m is low for a diver ( I wouldn't care about it but if you dive you might)

BP:
Pros
Simple is beautiful
WR 300m w/ a more durable strap
Cons
- Thickness

More importantly is to ask yourself a question do you want a Chrono or a Diver?
BTW my vote goes to JLC

·
Registered
553 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
JLC:
Pros
-integrated chronograph movement
-ceramic case
Cons
-Kevlar strap wears off easier
-WR 100m is low for a diver ( I wouldn't care about it but if you dive you might)

BP:
Pros
Simple is beautiful
WR 300m w/ a more durable strap
Cons
- Thickness

More importantly is to ask yourself a question do you want a Chrono or a Diver?
BTW my vote goes to JLC
Thanks for the tips. The JLC is also the way I'm leaning. I am not a diver, nor will I frequently use the Chrono. The size and thickness of the BP are probably too much for me. In terms of the strap...long term any ideas for a solution to the less than durable JLC strap? Just buy replacements? Any good substitutes? Also any ideas about expected price range for the Deep Sea chronograph?

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Thanks for the tips. The JLC is also the way I'm leaning. I am not a diver, nor will I frequently use the Chrono. The size and thickness of the BP are probably too much for me. In terms of the strap...long term any ideas for a solution to the less than durable JLC strap? Just buy replacements? Any good substitutes? Also any ideas about expected price range for the Deep Sea chronograph?
I think the Kevlar strap is part of the look of the watch, I wouldn't change it. The Kevlar durability is more of an issue for the diver but for the casual wear don't think it would be a big factor. With the AD : Retail price minus 20% disc = 9k plus tax.
Good luck!

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
Blancpain looks nicer, but JLC is a top notch movement. I'd go for design more than anything at this price point as quality is similar.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
In terms of the strap...long term any ideas for a solution to the less than durable JLC?
I have been told that Camille Fournet makes straps for BP and other high-end companies i also have an ABP that came with one of my watches that is top quality.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Blancpain Fifty Fathoms for me is the text book example of what a true original diver watch should be. it is simple, iconic, solid quality.

that said, JLC is more refined. it is an extremely tough choice, my friend.

I'd say, if you want "the original", the tool watch for diving, go with BP. if you want a fancy dress watch, go with JLC.

·
Ball Watch, Bremont and Longines moderator
11,581 Posts
The BP 50 Fathoms is by every measure the best looking and most classy diver ever made. The JLC is closer to a copy (case wise) of the BP FF that did not turn out as well. Sorry no contest for me on this one, the BP by a mile.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The BP 50 Fathoms is by every measure the best looking and most classy diver ever made. The JLC is closer to a copy (case wise) of the BP FF that did not turn out as well. Sorry no contest for me on this one, the BP by a mile.
I just tried on the BP 50 Fathoms, and was surprised how the size didn't bother me. Perhaps this will be different wearing it all day? Also since I'm not planning on using it as a diving watch, what are thoughts on getting it as a bracelet? Not sure it quite does it justice, but it is an option.

·
Ball Watch, Bremont and Longines moderator
11,581 Posts
I just tried on the BP 50 Fathoms, and was surprised how the size didn't bother me. Perhaps this will be different wearing it all day? Also since I'm not planning on using it as a diving watch, what are thoughts on getting it as a bracelet? Not sure it quite does it justice, but it is an option.
Straps are a great equalizer for a slightly larger case. The BP FF hides it's size well. I've never considered this watch on the bracelet, but it looks great in the pictures. Hopefully they have took some bracelet lessons for their sister company GO (probably the best engineered bracelet's I've seen and worn), if that is the case then it should be a treat. Personally I like the lined sail cloth. It has that great universal look that fits from shorts to suits.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I’m glad you are not really choosing either one of these for diving purposes because in my opinion there others out there much nicer for that purpose. As an everyday watch that would go with just about anything you wear and do, I would go with the JLC. I saw and tried on both and honestly BP FF just doesn’t seem as nice. As for straps, I wouldn’t even worry too much about that. There are many OEM and non-OEM straps that you can switch to and give it the look you want.

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
For a JLC, wait on the 44mm Cermet !
For a BP, check out the TTAL ..

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
For a BP, check out the TTAL .
He mentioned the Tribute to Aqua Lung (5015C) in the first post. Great watch with brushed instead of polished case, more classic dial, and super cool propellor rotor. It would be on my wrist right now if it were thinner (I briefly had a 5015).

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
According to my AD the Cermet has a list price of 18,000+ ($US). To me that's a 7,000 ($US) premium just for a ceramic/aluminum case and perhaps a slightly better strap!
I thought it was coming for 13 K or so .. I agree that 18 K is a bit much if true and the lack of a ceramic bezel to go with a ceramic case was pretty stupid IMO ! For me, 44mm case is a big plus .. But if the price tag u were quoted is correct, it may never happen !!!

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
I thought it was coming for 13 K or so .. I agree that 18 K is a bit much if true and the lack of a ceramic bezel to go with a ceramic case was pretty stupid IMO ! For me, 44mm case is a big plus .. But if the price tag u were quoted is correct, it may never happen !!!
I have asked to see the Cermet "in the metal" and he has promised to have it in his shop during the next month. I'm sure there will be a definitive price on it when it arrives. If that is the price I will go for the SS if it is 13K or so it will be mine!

·
Registered
167 Posts
The Cermet list price is 18k is correct. And I don't think it worth for that price with a same movement. At the price I rather go for AP RO Diver. Worth every $$$.!!! BP FF flyback not bad at all.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Blancpain is a brand that I always avoid without a legitimate reason, but no matter how much I have tried to avoid it, I end up with their movements in two of my watches.:-s oh well......

1 - 20 of 25 Posts