·
Registered
4,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Attachments

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Oh, my !!!!!! Many moons agon, when I was a lot younger and a college student in Arlington, Virginia, I met John Glenn in the Smithonian Institution in Washington D.C. and spoke to him in person (like many other vistors who where strolling around in this specific section of the world's largest museum complex on that day). Too bad that all the 'old bones' of my family went away from the Baltimore/Washington area down to Florida, otherwise they could have had a look for me at the estate sale.

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
How much? Shocking lack of publicity for watches from an astronaut. I couldn't see anywhere that actually gave lot numbers and details.
No idea. They told me it sold but have not gotten back to me again yet.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
620 Posts
I emailed them too, I wanted the 13 dial LeCoultre! I'm not quite sure what it's from since he wasn't on Apollo 13, I think he did work on the Apollo project however.

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
I'm starting to lose interest in it all. Their response has been rather lacking.

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
NO Omega or Bulova moon watch, interesting that the man who really did space as a pioneer didn't feel the need insn't it?

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
NO Omega or Bulova moon watch, interesting that the man who really did space as a pioneer didn't feel the need insn't it?
He was part of the Mercury program. He was there at the beginning of NASA. He would not have had a Speedmaster issued to him and if there was an "issued" watch it would have been returned as government property.

There is a reason why all of the issued Speedmasters are still in the hands of NASA. When he was in the program they were looking for being in orbit for a while and come back. The Apollo missions though were longer length and they needed a tool watch that met their needs.

So could the Bulova chrono or the Breitling, that sold, could have been worn on a mission...maybe.

But let's not forget that the Russian cosmonauts wore their time only pilot issued watches in the early days. So maybe that black dial 24hr watch could have gone up there. Honestly none of that matters to me as the chances of linking any of the watches to a space flight and proving it would be near impossible.

So buying a watch from the estate of a man that went to space is at least closer than going to an AD and buying a $5000 watch that was possibly was handled by someone who watched Apollo 13 with Tom Hanks. I know grasping at straws but....people pay money for things like band riders because it may say how many Twinkies they wanted back stage.

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am pretty sure that the folks handling the estate sale were non stop busy. I have a co worker that lives out that way and he went over to visit and the place was packed to the gills.

I think the Russians also wore Fortis and Omega watches.

Here is a picture from 1974 of Soviet Cosmonaut Alexey Leonov. He is wearing an Omega Chrono.

Attachments

·
Registered
492 Posts
What a great collection. I dig his taste. Makes me think he would have fit in great here (heck maybe he was a member under a pseudonym)

·
Registered
3,814 Posts
LeCoultre, Breitling and that Herme's pocketwatch have the most value

Can't see enough of the other watches, but there is a 24hr model. Not sure what it is

DON

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
Well today was the last day of the sale. The 24hr dial watch was a LeCoultre. I got a few messages last night from the woman running the sale....but again nothing. Their phone number rings through to a voice mail which is full. Has done for the entire 4 days.

I guess no astronaut watch for me. :(

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
There is a reason why all of the issued Speedmasters are still in the hands of NASA.

Not all of them.

I took these pics while touring the "1968" exhibit at the Minnesota History Center this weekend. A wonderful exhibit, and museum. Definitely worth it for anyone who likes history and is within a few hours drive.

In a section detailing the December 1968 Apollo 8 mission they had the mission checklist, Jim Lovell's helmet and the Speedmaster worn by Frank Borman.

Ok, they are on loan from the Smithsonian, so technically not in NASA's hands. ;)

20180310_140854.jpg

20180310_140909.jpg

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
Not all of them.

I took these pics while touring the "1968" exhibit at the Minnesota History Center this weekend. A wonderful exhibit, and museum. Definitely worth it for anyone who likes history and is within a few hours drive.

In a section detailing the December 1968 Apollo 8 mission they had the mission checklist, Jim Lovell's helmet and the Speedmaster worn by Frank Borman.

Ok, they are on loan from the Smithsonian, so technically not in NASA's hands. ;)

View attachment 12967809

View attachment 12967813
They need to put a strap on that watch!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts