WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
I enjoyed the review but don't understand this oversight: "The case is slightly larger than the dive watches it’s based on, and it doesn’t appear to be due to anything other than a less expensive and larger movement".

Am I correct that the Rolex 15XX movements were actually larger than the ETA 2824? Also, I'm not sure about the ETA and other movements in the very early Tudor Subs (1950s), but Tudor has been using the same ETA 28XX-sized movements (including the ETA 2824) for a long time in their Subs - since the 1970's?

So it's actually just the exact same movement last used in the smaller 39mm vintage and transition-year Tudors but now in a larger case. The larger case size being due to current trends in watch fashion and not an increase in movement size. I'm surprised no one caught this before going to print. Not a big deal, but I couldn't help but notice.

·
Registered
721 Posts
yes! I took it to an AD and even they had trouble removing it. Once the bracelet is off I've been able to switch between strap (bought with both) and nato, but even that is much more difficult than my other watches. I was happy reading Mayer's review when it mentioned the difficulty in removing the bracelet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,888 Posts
You would think a guy that has taken off the bras of some of the sexiest women in the world could change a strap on a Tudor.
Wait till Tudor start making bras. He's gonna be in real trouble...for a while.

·
Registered
5,498 Posts
I enjoyed the review but don't understand this oversight: "The case is slightly larger than the dive watches it’s based on, and it doesn’t appear to be due to anything other than a less expensive and larger movement".
As I mentioned in the comments on Hodinkee, that very same movement is also used in some 36mm watches, so that argument simply doesn't hold water.

Reactions: Tempusfugitus

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
As I mentioned in the comments on Hodinkee, that very same movement is also used in some 36mm watches, so that argument simply doesn't hold water.
Looks like this chap John Mayer is like most people, and can't distinguish tight, accurate manufacturing tolerances from "oh it's like really hard to take the bracelet off".

The point about movements suggests Mr Mayer doesn't have all the facts as well as too many opinions. The ETA is smaller than the Rolex movement, though not by a lot. He should stick to songwriting - he's very good at that by all accounts - but not commenting on stuff he doesn't know that much about (although obviously spends a very great deal of money on, which a lot of people do mistake for knowledge!)

·
Registered
623 Posts
Looks like this chap John Mayer is like most people, and can't distinguish tight, accurate manufacturing tolerances from "oh it's like really hard to take the bracelet off".

The point about movements suggests Mr Mayer doesn't have all the facts as well as too many opinions. The ETA is smaller than the Rolex movement, though not by a lot. He should stick to songwriting - he's very good at that by all accounts - but not commenting on stuff he doesn't know that much about (although obviously spends a very great deal of money on, which a lot of people do mistake for knowledge!)
Plenty of other writers on Hodinkee (among many other places) have mistakes in their articles; plenty of NYTimes articles also have mistakes... it's a part of the game. When brought to their attention, they are usually corrected -- I'm a bit surprised they haven't done so here, given that it was brought up early on in the comments.

That being said, I do find Mayer to have some interesting insight/opinions on watches that he's more accustomed to... those being much higher end, interesting and sometimes vintage pieces. YMMV as to whether you enjoy reading them, but no one is forcing you to do so and you can skip his articles as you please. As for opinions, you know what they say -- everyone has one, including you!

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
That being said, I do find Mayer to have some interesting insight/opinions on watches that he's more accustomed to... those being much higher end, interesting and sometimes vintage pieces. YMMV as to whether you enjoy reading them, but no one is forcing you to do so and you can skip his articles as you please. It strikes me as a bit overzealous to say that . As for opinions, you know what they say -- everyone has one, including you!
That's true, but any opinion I have about whether the ETA movement is bigger or smaller than the Rolex movement is invalid; people are entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts. But then, this is the internet :)

For me it's a signalling effect. If some simple facts are presented wrongly, I'm certainly going to ignore any opinion that might be offered. If the basics are right, then the point of view has more value.

·
Registered
8,338 Posts
It is impossible for me to install the bracelet on mine myself so I've been trying several straps since I got it two weeks ago. I will take it to a local shop and get it done soon. Can someone give me a link to the tweezer type of tool appropriate for the Black Bay?

John Mayer is right about the fabric strap - it is weird to resize and short in length (may not fit wrists 7.5-7.75"+). However, it is utterly comfortable and nice feeling - I love wearing the blue BB on that.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Interesting. I always get a kick out of reading some of his reviews. Not a huge fan of his music anymore, but I sure wooed (or at least attempted to) girls back when I was in HS to his tunes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts