WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks. Finally joined the club with an Explorer II from around '96. Turns out the dial is tritium (Swiss T<25), and emits no lume that I could see.

Is it possible to get the original dial replaced with one with superluminova?

·
Rolex / Tudor
14,596 Posts
Hi folks. Finally joined the club with an Explorer II from around '96. Turns out the dial is tritium (Swiss T<25), and emits no lume that I could see.

Is it possible to get the original dial replaced with one with superluminova?
Absolutely. You can send it to RSC and have a new dial installed. You MIGHT be able to send it to a competent watchmaker that specializes in lume application and have them relume it with superluminova. Many will tell you not to replace the dial/have it relumed. It will decrease your resale value. However, if it is a watch that you plan to keep........I say do it.|>

·
4,410 Posts
Yes, I am one of those people...

Many will tell you not to replace the dial/have it relumed. It will decrease your resale value...|>
This is true, of all redials, even factory service dials, Putting one on your watch will kill the resale value should you decide to sell it. Having it relumed also is unwise as will also kill the resale value of the watch as well.

If you must change out the dial & hands, have Rolex do the work, and keep all paperwork and documents they supply you. They most likely will charge you for a full service plus the cost of the parts. It will not be cheap.

·
4,410 Posts
A watch from 96 should still have some life left in it...

the real test is to check your watch in middle of the night, when your eyes are fully adjusted to the dark, and see if you can read the time then.

And congratulations! What color dial is it, white or black?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Re: Yes, I am one of those people...

This is true, of all redials, even factory service dials, Putting one on your watch will kill the resale value should you decide to sell it. Having it relumed also is unwise as will also kill the resale value of the watch as well.

If you must change out the dial & hands, have Rolex do the work, and keep all paperwork and documents they supply you. They most likely will charge you for a full service plus the cost of the parts. It will not be cheap.
This is very sound advice. The watch you own is rare, and replacing the aforementioned parts with lume will certainly decrease the value.

Think of it this way: You own a 1967 Corvette Stingray, and have to replace the headlights (pop-up). The only ones available are what are currently in production today (non pop-up). The car is redone to accomodate and fitted with the new lights. Unfortunately, by doing so, driving at night is much easier; however, the resale of the vehicle plummets exponentially.

·
Rolex / Tudor
14,596 Posts
Re: Yes, I am one of those people...

This is very sound advice. The watch you own is rare, and replacing the aforementioned parts with lume will certainly decrease the value.

Think of it this way: You own a 1967 Corvette Stingray, and have to replace the headlights (pop-up). The only ones available are what are currently in production today (non pop-up). The car is redone to accomodate and fitted with the new lights. Unfortunately, by doing so, driving at night is much easier; however, the resale of the vehicle plummets exponentially.
At least you can see at night with your new headlights, and the corvette looks ok with them. You never plan to sell the corvette..........So you don't care much about the resale value...........:think::think::think:

I'm just saying........I am not as much of a purist as many of the members here. It is too bad that the days are gone where the Rolexes were not that valuable, and people were practical about them.......They worried about their watches keeping time and and the the watch's functionality..............Not always just the value.:-(

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No pictures yet. I did however purchase it from a dealer through WUS, and you can see his pictures of the watch here: https://www.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?p=1882032#poststop

It's a white dial ExpII. Beautiful, but the lack of lume really diminishes it for me. Would a RSC dial replacement really affect market value that much? I just want some damn luminosity! :) I don't expect it to match my Seamaster 2254, but yeh...

Going through a bit of a Nato binge at the moment, but the one Nato that would probably work the best with the ExpII (black with pvd buckles) is not coming off the Aqua Terra (match made in heaven). I'll probably need to get another before I can test it.

·
Registered
446 Posts
My dad's first EXP 2 was the same thing. He took it back to the AD they ordered a new one. I would ask what matters more, the contentment of gazing at your watch that is preforming as it should, or resale value sometime in the future.

me- I like perfection and blindly live for the moment. Not having lume would drive me nuts. One day I'm sure I'll pay for my unbridled enthusiasm and frontier spirit but for now I'm going to have what I like!

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'll drop into the local Hour Glass and ask them about the dial replacement.

I'm not about to have the pride of my collection gathering dust. Someone may have kept it in pristine condition for over a decade, but I intend to take it out and put it to work. But first, I need to get some decent lume! :)

On the topic of Explorer II lume, is it C1 and what's the quality like?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts