WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been drawn to pilot style watches for a while due to their extreme clarity and simplicity. Thinking down the memory lane I've always wanted to be a pilot when I grew up - but never actually realized that dream. For whatever the underlying reason I have been eyeing to add pilot style watch to my collection within a modest $1000 or so budget.

I currently own a Rolex date just from my birth year and a Ch. Ward C60 Trident Pro (Diver).

I have been looking at pilot chronograph complications which are very interesting but I found most implementations tend to get busy, unusable, expensive to buy as well as add to the long term cost of maintenance. After a long search I shortlisted a Oris Propilot GMT Chrono (which is now discontinued)

Though I tend wear my watches with care - I appreciate robust watches that I can put on and relax rather than worry about scratching them. The time pieces should keep us at peace rather than have us worry about their safety. So, I have been looking for clean, robust pilot watch that can serve as my daily wearer as well. I also realized that I love dive style bezels as well so having a timing bezel would be great.

When I saw Zachs (worn and wound review of DC66) I realized that's it! It's the perfect watch with all the features I needed and it was extremely robust.

I chose the DC66 for the following reasons:
* Pilot/aviator style - fits the bill of aviator watch I am after
* Chrono function does not seem to clutter the dial
* Super hard and tool watch construction - should last me a long time
* The bezel is awesome and bidiectional/scratch proof - helps me time things (along with chrono I can time two things at the same time )
* The day/date function is good. Though I mainly care about date in my watch.
* The just over $2K price tag is a bit ok high side of my budget - but I'm not uncomfortable with it
* 7750 movement should be easy to service long term - even if Damasko goes out of business or stops servicing this watch (God forbid)
* Buying from a AD who is just 20 mins away is very comforting

Downsides (for now):
* The main thing I worry about is the 100m water resistance - it would be great it it was 200-300m so I don't need to take it off when swimming.

I contacted Dan at Timeless luxury watches (they are just 20 mins from where I live) and luckily they had some in stock. I went and tried it on and loved it. Today, I pulled the trigger and added this to my collection and wrist. Thanks to Anna and Dan at Timeless for their help as well as giving me a good price! Thanks to WUS German forums for wonderful insights and support

Some pics for your pleasure ... ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453251591.070133.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453251611.301324.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453251629.303149.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453251643.053811.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453252042.774872.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453252124.852747.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453252147.739728.jpg

·
Registered
251 Posts
You don't need to worry about the water rating. Plenty for swimming. Judging by how the rest of the watch is made it's probably a conservative number anyway as it is an 'aviation' watch. Been wearing my DK11 at work in water (surfing, snorkeling, kayaking, pools etc) all last year, no issues. Just the usual caveat, make sure the crown is screwed in ;)

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Man that is a good looking watch. I have one on order and the wait is killing me!
I have been totally enjoying it. The AR coating on this is absolutely stunning (most times I can't see the crystal). I think it's probably the best built watch in my modest collection (even seems built and finished better or on par with my vintage 79 Rolex).

Definitely worth the wait !

·
Registered
8,372 Posts
Congratulations Jay! Welcome to German watches. I do not have my Damasko with me anymore (DA 44), but it was my most worn watch last year. I used to change straps almost everyday - so easy with drilled lugs. You can get pretty much any style to work with this - great choice picking the DC66. I think Mike Stuffler also has the same model.

As far as straps are concerned, I can give you a few ideas ;-)

My top favorite strap for the Damasko was a personalized color 8 shell cordovan zulu from jankoxxx.

Hirsch Lucca was pretty good too.

Big Pilot strap with rivets super nice as well.

Rally/racing strap though not suited to an aviation, work pretty well on Damasko.

Or nato straps.
Which you can match to occasion.

Or sport.

Or tacti-cool-ness.

The Damasko OEM nato being the top of the food chain.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Congratulations on the new acquisition. I've had nothing but good experiences with mine (about 2 years old.)

I recently popped Natos on both of my Damaskos. Here's a pic... The grey one on the DC66 is from ToxicNatos and had upgraded, blasted hardware:

Enjoy!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Thanks for the photos. They are making my wait for mine even more difficult! I misunderstood the AD and thought the watch was shipping out this past Thursday but he meant shipping to him from Germany. Dying over here! :)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts