WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to the WUS sales forum I'm about to become the proud owner of an Antea KS. I'm a commercial artist and I've always been obsessed with the Bauhaus design philosophy. The Antea line of Stowas really rings my bell. I love the completely crisp and minimalist approach. The typography is very retro looking without being overly antique and the blued hands offset the silver coated dial nicely. I also love the look of the movement through the glass back. I'm a pocket watch collector, so looking at movements is a daily part of my life. The Stowa has one of the more attractive hand wind movements out there. I can't wait!

·
Registered
808 Posts
Congratulations! A photo would be nice.

s.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Hi Chris,

Cool to hear you've settled on a Stowa :)

I like the Antea a lot - it looks like a very cool watch. What makes it more Bauhaus btw. I know little about the Bauhaus aesthetic beyond constructivism in architecture.

You're quite right about the beauty of Stowa pocket watches. I found myself winging it on the flea market and bought one on a whim whilst I'm waiting for Stowa to press the new Chrono into being or Zeit und Dasein rather! Like yours, I'm just on the verge of getting an order in now that the Christmas vacation is over. I think I'm quite easily swayed, and every other new watch I see, I think it's really beautiful and that I want it. What sets the Chrono apart from other watches, is partly it's hand-made aesthetic and 1930's typography - but the sheer beauty and effort which has gone into reproducing the art of the pressed dial. I love woodblock carvings and the traditional lithographic printing and the pre-war era works. The Chrono looks like the kind of watch that Edward Burra (English painter and friend of Stanley whodyamacallit Spencer) would've probably worn. Well actually being English, they wouldn't worn a Smith's, but they would've preferred a Stowa :)

Thanks to the WUS sales forum I'm about to become the proud owner of an Antea KS. I'm a commercial artist and I've always been obsessed with the Bauhaus design philosophy. The Antea line of Stowas really rings my bell. I love the completely crisp and minimalist approach. The typography is very retro looking without being overly antique and the blued hands offset the silver coated dial nicely. I also love the look of the movement through the glass back. I'm a pocket watch collector, so looking at movements is a daily part of my life. The Stowa has one of the more attractive hand wind movements out there. I can't wait!

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
What makes it more Bauhaus btw.
The central idea behind the Bauhaus aesthetic is that form follows function. It was a direct reaction to the overly ornate and obsessively decorated Art Nouveau style, where objects were so encrusted with decoration that their basic functional essence was obscured. The Stowa shows some of the most essential elements of Bauhaus style. The case is a perfect circle because time itself is, in a sense, round. The font face is san serif with very little additional shaping beyond the essential forms of the numbers. The dial is free of any unnecessary texturing, with the exception of the sub-seconds dial, which has delicate concentric circles, themselves suggesting the functional sweep of the seconds hand. The most important parts of the watch are the numbers and the hands, and these are rendered in the most sparing way possible. They're presented as primary elements, not in competition with artificial decorative flourishes. The entire design is an expression of the practical application of the device.

All of this might lead one to believe that the Bauhaus approach is spartan and lacking in attractive elements, but the genius of Bauhaus is that by reducing things to as close to their essential nature as possible a great deal of inherent beauty is revealed. Numbers, in and of themselves are beautiful. Negative space, expressed here as the silver areas of the dial where no numbers are present, is beautiful. A perfect circle is beautiful. The core thesis of Bauhaus design is that the beauty of objects is revealed when extraneous decoration is removed. It's a subtractive aesthetic, not an additive one.

Oh, and you're right about the Stowa chrono. It's amazing looking. I'm going to try and be satisfied with the Antea KS, but I suspect that I'll eventually have to add the chrono to my collection as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
419 Posts
Thanks Chris -

That pretty much leaves me feeling like I must be a Bauhaus fan too then! Would the Beobachten-Flieger Uhrs fit into this aesthetic too? Well probably not as I guess they ar more pragmatic and utilitarian, but not overly decorated either!

Except that for some reason, I have a craving for ornate moonphase watches lol

And Tide Graph watches ;)

And chronographs!!!!

Bu I do like the Antea loads. Please post a review when you get yours. Looks like the Chrono waiting list is running around 6 weeks which is pretty cool ;)

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Welcome to the club. I picked up my KS an a watch forum sales corner and absolutely love it. I find myself looking at it all the time. It's remarkably classy for something so understated. I think the Flieger watches also work within the aesthetic, but above all the Partitio. The Partitio is a classic. It's almost too sober, compared to the Antea.

Now that I"m on vacation I find myself wanting another watch, one that at least has a higher water resistance, since I'm back and forth to a lake. Perhaps there's a Seatime in my future. Or a Sinn 556, which is somewhat similar aesthetically to the Stowas and has crazy water resistance for a non-dive watch.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
congrats, the antea KS is a great little watch, I really enjoy winding mine evernight when I get home.

I like them all, from the simplistic antea to a busy dailed Breitling Navitimer, I just like watches :D

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, same here. Simple to complex, they all have things going for them. Sometimes I wish I had the ability to resist more watches than I do.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts