WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed that they sell authentic watches and decent discounts. However, looks like because they do not follow MSRP guidelines, the manufacturer's warranty does not apply. Instead, they have they own warranty on the watches, usually 2 years. What are your thoughts on this? Are the savings worth the forfeit of the manufacturer warranty?

·
Registered
33 Posts
IMHO, no. You are already shelling out a hefty sum of money, what's another $150-$200? For that extra 10%-15%, you will get an awesome experience with an AD, and moreover- piece of mind!

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
IMHO, no. You are already shelling out a hefty sum of money, what's another $150-$200? For that extra 10%-15%, you will get an awesome experience with an AD, and moreover- piece of mind!
Are you looking at a Guess watch or something, Joma sells watches at 1000-2000 less than AD and even way more for pricier watches, are you expecting that your brand new swiss watch will have to undergo repairs of thousands of dollars in its first two years ???

·
Registered
27,048 Posts
How do you know it's only $150-200? I've bought a few watches from them. Some were a few grand, and have had quite positive transactions. To me, unless you are going to spend seriously huge sums of money, go get the best deal possible, I'm sure you'll find opinions both ways but personally I like to save as much as possible. One other idea and talk to your local AD about what you are considering, they may likely come very close to the online price if it means earring your business. Can't hurt to try it.

·
Registered
779 Posts
One other idea and talk to your local AD about what you are considering, they may likely come very close to the online price if it means earring your business. Can't hurt to try it.
This.

OP, my AD knew I had online options, not Jomashop specifically, and came down from their asking price. It wasn't a matching offer, but much closer. Which just might be within the extra premium you're willing to pay.

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,041 Posts
Noticed that they sell authentic watches and decent discounts. However, looks like because they do not follow MSRP guidelines, the manufacturer's warranty does not apply. Instead, they have they own warranty on the watches, usually 2 years. What are your thoughts on this? Are the savings worth the forfeit of the manufacturer warranty?
You should search this forum for many previous threads on Jomashop and grey market dealers. My suggestion is to identify on a watch that you really want to buy. Next step is to shop authorized dealers in your area for the best price. Once you have that information you will be able to decide whether difference in the Jomashop price to your dealers price is worth the factory warranty and having a nice conversation with the local dealer. Consider that Jomashop does offer a longer warranty and is established in the business.

We can't make that decision for you because we don't know the prices of the watch you are looking at.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
You should search this forum for many previous threads on Jomashop and grey market dealers. My suggestion is to identify on a watch that you really want to buy. Next step is to shop authorized dealers in your area for the best price. Once you have that information you will be able to decide whether difference in the Jomashop price to your dealers price is worth the factory warranty and having a nice conversation with the local dealer. Consider that Jomashop does offer a longer warranty and is established in the business.

We can't make that decision for you because we don't know the prices of the watch you are looking at.
Thank you very much, makes perfect sense. I was looking at some Breitlings (like the Skyracer and others) that are usually in the $5K-$7K and they were about $2K less on Jomashop. I will definitely take your advice and speak with the ADs and see what they can do. Thank you to all the posters for your advice as well, it is truly great to hear from you!

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
I've bought tons of watches from Joma (cheap Seikos through mid-range Hamiltons on up to a few Omegas) and never had any issues. Each time I saved a significant amount from, even versus a decent authorized dealer discount.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Jomashop does have relatively good prices that are difficult to pass on. I guess it all depends on what type of individual you are, the watch itself and how much money you are spending. Some people tend to pay more attention to the warranty than to the item when buying anything. I pay no attention to warranties or grey market. A 2 year warranty is plenty for me on the class of watch I buy. I've spent 40 years collecting watches of various prices and quality and I've never had to use a warranty. Maybe I've just been lucky.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Here's my take....

I'm looking at a Tag Cal.6 that Joma has for $2300... That's about 2450 Oz $. +150 shipping + Oz Govt 10% tax which means it's getting up about 2800 Oz. My local AD has it for 3700 but were happy to drop it 20% without blinking, so about 3K Oz $...

For a couple of hundred I'll stick with the local AD and avoid the stress of international shipping and foreign warranty...

Ita

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Here's my take....

I'm looking at a Tag Cal.6 that Joma has for $2300... That's about 2450 Oz $. +150 shipping + Oz Govt 10% tax which means it's getting up about 2800 Oz. My local AD has it for 3700 but were happy to drop it 20% without blinking, so about 3K Oz $...

For a couple of hundred I'll stick with the local AD and avoid the stress of international shipping and foreign warranty...

Ita
When it comes to international shipping, I would pay whatever my local AD was asking over any discount Jomashop has instead of dealing with international shipping. I've not been lucky when it comes to dealing with foreign postal services.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
When it comes to international shipping, I would pay whatever my local AD was asking over any discount Jomashop has instead of dealing with international shipping. I've not been lucky when it comes to dealing with foreign postal services.
Yep...

I had no issues dealing with a company like Stowa, because I was dealing with the actual company...

No worries with Creation Watches buying a cheap Seiko...

But a big $ purchase from a grey dealer would have to offer a huge discount to open my wallet...

Ita

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Endless discussion that will always have good points on either side. I would add the point that if you live in the hinterlands as I do, a place like Jomashop becomes not just a matter of price but of broad access to many items. I don't have the luxury of wandering around a bunch of ADs. Ha, I just discovered that my iPhone autocompletes the word jomashop. Btw, I buy things like entry level seikos online. I would have to think twice before I bought a multiple-K item that way. I assume fair play, but all GM return policies have a lot of fine print. I get scared at imagining buying say a 3K watch, hating it, and then having the return refused because I left a fingerprint on the case or whatever. Have not heard such tales, but I remain cautious.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Sometimes it's still cheaper to buy from an AD. I got 16% below MSRP on my Submariner a few weeks ago. Jomashop is doing one or two percent on the same watch.

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
You'll always get a mixed reaction to a question like this around here. Some of us cheerfully buy grey-market every time and have no problems. Some of us will always spend the extra money for the manufacturer's warranty.

Personally, I always get the cheapest price from any reputable dealer (Jomashop is a reputable dealer) and assume that my long-term savings will pay for any repair work -- which is has, by a wide margin. If a watch isn't broken in the first week or two (during the return window), then it's really unlikely to break during the warranty.

But that's just me. This is a personal decision. Look at the grey-market price, look at your AD's best price, and decide if the difference is worth it to you. Think of the extra AD cost as health insurance for the watch -- you probably won't need it, but how much extra are you willing to pay for peace of mind?

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
You'll always get a mixed reaction to a question like this around here. Some of us cheerfully buy grey-market every time and have no problems. Some of us will always spend the extra money for the manufacturer's warranty.

Personally, I always get the cheapest price from any reputable dealer (Jomashop is a reputable dealer) and assume that my long-term savings will pay for any repair work -- which is has, by a wide margin. If a watch isn't broken in the first week or two (during the return window), then it's really unlikely to break during the warranty.

But that's just me. This is a personal decision. Look at the grey-market price, look at your AD's best price, and decide if the difference is worth it to you. Think of the extra AD cost as health insurance for the watch -- you probably won't need it, but how much extra are you willing to pay for peace of mind?
^^^This^^^

·
Registered
922 Posts
How do you know it's only $150-200? I've bought a few watches from them. Some were a few grand, and have had quite positive transactions. To me, unless you are going to spend seriously huge sums of money, go get the best deal possible, I'm sure you'll find opinions both ways but personally I like to save as much as possible. One other idea and talk to your local AD about what you are considering, they may likely come very close to the online price if it means earring your business. Can't hurt to try it.
THIS^^^

1 - 20 of 54 Posts