WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been noticing a little bit of hype over this brand, that some high profile names wear these pieces including one President Obama. Regardless, I scoped out the site and the watches seem somewhat affordable, Definitely inside the primo Seiko price range- so they would have a lot to live up to. I used the search function but to no avail have I spotted any reviews or suggestions on these watches, so I'd really like to hear everyones suggestions, rants, raves, reviews and remarks (thats alot of R words:-d) about these, before I sink another $200-300 on something that works better as a paperwieght.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
I remember reading about Jorg Gray watches almost a year ago when people became obsessed with what watch Obama had. I never visited the site, however, I wonder if it existed back then.

The designs of his watches are pretty cool, although I wonder if you'd consider them "fashion watches" more than anything else. The prices seem decent, but for the price of some of them, I wonder if quartz may be a let down.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
There is actually an ad in the new issue of IW promoting a different watch [not the "Presidential" chronograph]...a quartz GMT.

Typically Jorg Gray used to be one of those companies that strictly did the custom watches for corporations...but obviously with the recent attention they are looking to branch the brand out.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I have the Jorg Gray 6500 Chronograph - presidential edition, not the commemorative.

The presidential edition was the first of the batch to come out after Obama made the watch famous and it has the star at 12 o'clock instead of the Jorg Gray name/logo, which the commemorative edition have. The commemorative editions seems to be much more out there then the presidential edition. I am not looking to sell the watch, but I browsed around on E-bay and someone was trying to sell the presidential edition for over USD 800!!!

Overall, I am very happy with the watch. Not very expensive, looks good, feels good; has a good lume and an accurate chrono.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I think the chrono on Barrack's watch is kind of sucky, there's no tenth of a second dial and the minute dial has a big hand that makes it hard to get an accurate reading.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I bought one of these a while back and it sucked. It looked decent, but the second hand would never go exactly to the 12 when you reset the chrono. It would land on like 58 seconds and would not budge. I sold it with notice to the buyer that it did this. This is a gimmicky brand I think.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Yes, I would stay away from Jorg Gray. A friend of mine was gifted a JG watch about a year ago, and I had a chance to look it over. It's not a horrible watch, but I found the quality to be subpar, not to mention that $300+ for a nothing-special quartz is absurd. I obviously can't comment on the quality of other JG watches, but the designs are nothing special and the prices are bloated.

·
Affordables Moderator
17,578 Posts
Nice looking watches, using well known and frequently used Miyota (Citizen) movements. I believe the one in the "presidential/commemorative" chrono is an OS10 or OS20, 1/1 second sweep, 60 minute and 12 hour totalizers and sub-seconds. I have a couple watches with OS10/OS20 movements in them like this St. Moritz:

And this Dievas:

Cheers,
Griff

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
There is an ad ) in mens journal this month for a very colorful Jorg gray wristwatch it reminds me of a SS Armitron I already have.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I picked up a jorg gray JG3515, it's not the Obama watch and instaed of the rubber strap I had them put on a nice leather band.
Wore it this week and got more compliments on this watch then I ever did with my Omega Seamaster or Breitling.
I wish it had a screw down crown but for the money I thought it was a good deal.

·
Registered
8,581 Posts
Got pics? You know we'd love to see them.

Edit: just Googled it and that's quite a nice looking watch

·
Registered
28 Posts
Got pics? You know we'd love to see them.

Edit: just Googled it and that's quite a nice looking watch

Thanks I really like it, I switched the rubber band with a leather one and it looks a lot better. I'm not sure why they put a rubber one on it as it isn't a diving watch and doesn't even have a screw down crown. It says 100M but I wouldn't test that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just got a Jorg Gray 1950-12 after seeing a review of it on watch report. I really like the watch a lot. I think it looks great. I'm not crazy about the band. I might try out a different one at some point. I just took some pictures of it:

It's actually a pretty big watch. I put it side by side with my Casio GXW-56 for comparision.

All in all I'm really happy with this piece. I think it's not quite up to par with the luxury watches in terms of build quality. I'm no expert or anything, but the crown seems a little lose and the way the hands move when adjusting the time seems a little imprecise. But that's just me.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
I bought the JG 6500 Commemorative Edition and sent it back for a refund. I paid $250 and I think that it still retails for over $300 which is ridiculous. I'm not a watch expert but it definately is overinflated price at $300 and is riding on its famous wearer...

The crystal is domed and tinted in blue so unless you look at it directly it looks like a blue bubble, that was one feature I didn't like.
The quality is not up to par to my Citizen Eco Drive AT0550E-11X. The leather band feels cheap compared to the citizen.
I think at this price, for a Quartz movement you should at least get a decent sapphire crystal and decent band. The JG 6500 is disappointing in both areas.

I sent it back and spent a bit extra for a Tissot PRC 200 Chronograph with a stainless steel band. I'm still waiting for that one. But I think for $300 there are a lot nicer watches than the JG 6500.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I think they're overpriced for what you get. Some look decent but way too much for a quartz. I'd rather buy a Orient automatic for half the price and then some. To me it's just a fashion watch. You used too see them in the back of the inflight magazines when you'd fly for a lot less. Then when Obama wore one the prices went way up.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I bought one of these a while back and it sucked. It looked decent, but the second hand would never go exactly to the 12 when you reset the chrono. It would land on like 58 seconds and would not budge. I sold it with notice to the buyer that it did this. This is a gimmicky brand I think.

you are right. i almost brought the Jorg gray , but i saw this seconds needle not being accurate on the 12.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts