WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did not take any pictures of the Casio GW 5000 1JF when it first arrived but dead is dead, like nothing on the screen. I got this off E-Bay new with tags for $250 so was happy with the deal until I looked at my new DEAD watch. Anyway, I took a deep breath and remembered that "apparently dead" vs. "dead" in the world of Solar are two different entities. I needed to shed a bit of light on the situation, and the watch. Watch arrived via UPS after 6 PM Wed. and I set up a charging station in my bathroom with our CFL nightlight which I guess puts our a good amount of cool light. In short order I had some activity on the screen and actually was able to reach the medium charge level before midnight. Manual sync was a non-starter so finally, some time after midnight when the signal strength increases, I was able to do a manual sync.

All day Thursday, I either had the watch under the CFL or out in direct sunlight but the charge indicator would not move off M. After sitting in the bathroom all night Thur/Fri AM it finally hit the H mark. Now I'm a happy camper.

The secret to getting the watch in the proper position under the light is to stack the box on top of a Palm, Centro, and old Blackberry. I knew they were good for something. :-d

IMG_8327-Edit.jpg

IMG_8326-Edit.jpg

IMG_8333-Edit.jpg

Be well,

AZ

·
Premium Member
72,361 Posts
Both your Californian sunshine and leccy must be a darn sight better than what we get in Yorkshire as I allow days on end basking in the windowsill to charge a watch. Nice looking watch BTW, I felt the urge to order one way much like it only a few hours ago.

·
Premium Member
3,170 Posts
guys,

I have the desk standing version of this in my office for charging Lume and Solar/Eco drive watches as well as close work. The Good lady has two floor standers in different rooms for when she wants to read or Knit.

They are affordable and miserly with the old electricity while giving a brilliant err, daylight.

K.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I put my 5 Citizen Ecos and 3 G-Shock Solars in a southerly facing window on the sunniest day of the first weekend of every month. Keeps them properly charged. Probably looks kinda weird from outside, all those watches lined up on the window sill, but so what, it works.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts