WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently own the beautiful Max Bill Date, which I immensely enjoy. My first "adult" watch was a Nomos Tangente 101, which I have since sold/flipped. It was the Nomos brand that got me into my watch problem collection and I find myself gazing at photos of the Metro 38. My collection policy is no more than six watches and I must sell one to buy one. I am considering selling the Max Bill and buying the Metro. One reservation about the Metro is the odd wire lugs. The lug width on the Metro 38 is 19mm, with a spring bar length of 17mm. I would appreciate any thoughts or guidance.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've owned the Metro Neomatic since the start of July. It's the first "fancy" watch that I've owned, after admiring it for a few years. (I am very happy with it.) The interesting wire lugs were part of the appeal for me. The disadvantage is that you are somewhat limited with respect to buying additional straps. Mine has 17 mm lugs, so it is more limited than the Metro 38. However, there are nice strap options out there, just not as many as for watches with a more common lug size. I bought an 18 mm perlon strap (from holbensfinewatchbands.com) and it fits perfectly on my 17 mm lugs. I have ordered two more 18 mm perlon straps from www.esprit-nato.com. For leather straps I need 17 mm and those are more scarce, but still some good options. Let me know if you have any questions.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
3 out of my 4 watch collection have a 19mm lug width, plenty of options out there!
I'm not concerned about the 19mm lug width, but rather swapping out non-Nomos straps without quick-release spring bars. 18mm straps with 17mm spring bars might work.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Agree with all that was said above.
The Max Bill can be argued to be an icon.
Many brands attempted to copy and continue doing so; but there will only be one Max Bill.

Nomos is great in every aspect. It also follows a modern interpretation of Bauhaus design. But the OG Bauhaus watch is the Junghans Max Bill - a timeless classic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, pardon any spelling errors.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I'd go Nomos. Simple justification: the date window doesn't fit the style of the watch. If you're going for ultimate simplicity and minimalism, a (literal) complication like a date doesn't suit the design.

I've been shopping for a dress watch for a while now as it's a hole in my collection, and simplicity/understatement is crucial. The asymmetry caused by a date window on a simple watch is, to me, anathema to the goal of simplicity.

Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Max bill is so sweet. Great bauhaus.

Reactions: sirjohnk

·
Registered
599 Posts
I'd go Nomos. Simple justification: the date window doesn't fit the style of the watch. If you're going for ultimate simplicity and minimalism, a (literal) complication like a date doesn't suit the design.

I've been shopping for a dress watch for a while now as it's a hole in my collection, and simplicity/understatement is crucial. The asymmetry caused by a date window on a simple watch is, to me, anathema to the goal of simplicity.

Just my 2 cents.

Who says Max Bill only comes with a date window?

Reactions: sirjohnk

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Just my 2 cents.

Your point about symmetry and simplicity is a good one. One option is to only wear the Max Bill date on the 3rd of the month. ;)

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I'd go for the Nomos for the simple reason it has orange seconds hand and blueish grey 12-3-6-9 markers. The Max Bill is too boring for my taste but you couldn't go wrong with either.

·
Premium Member
38,885 Posts
The Metro is gorgeous, but ideally I'd go with the gangreserve model.
In this case, not much to choose between the two - the Junghans maybe shades it.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Your point about symmetry and simplicity is a good one. One option is to only wear the Max Bill date on the 3rd of the month. ;)
Genius
Super Symmetrical.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Who says Max Bill only comes with a date window?

Fair point, but in this case he already has it with the date window and was considering a change.

Reactions: snowbongo

·
Registered
578 Posts
I like both, but the playful splash of colors and overall less serious design on the Metro sure is refreshing in the landscape of Bauhaus watches.

Reactions: snowbongo

·
Registered
599 Posts
Fair point, but in this case he already has it with the date window and was considering a change.

Oh. Right. Because changing to a date-less watch is not acceptable - or is it?

I wrote the above as a counter argument that the whole symmetry on a Max Bill is ruined by a little date window @ 3 o’clock and thus the OP should get a purely symmetrical Nomos.

Cheers

·
Registered
513 Posts
Oh. Right. Because changing to a date-less watch is not acceptable - or is it?

I wrote the above as a counter argument that the whole symmetry on a Max Bill is ruined by a little date window @ 3 o’clock and thus the OP should get a purely symmetrical Nomos.

Cheers

I went from a daily-wear date to a daily-wear no-date. No regrets, and definitely allowed.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts