WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last August I posted a story about a Seamaster 300 I found in my junk drawer...

Based on advice from several members, I sent it off to Nesbits in Seattle for repair. Initial estimate was for $600 due to rust present. Awhile later Jan (from Nesbits) called me back and said they'd underestimated the damage due to seal failures....and recommended she send it to Omega in Seacaucus since having them (Nesbit's) replace all of the necessary parts would be cost prohibitive.

My instructions to Nesbits (and to Seacacus, via Jan) was that I wanted only the caliber serviced, and no case polishing or anything beyond minmimal functional repair. Also specified I wanted all the original parts back.

Couple of weeks ago Jan got back to me, said that Seacaucus wouldn't do the repair unless I also let them replace the dial. Apparently the phosphor was in danger of coming off and fouling up the caliber again. They also insist on replacing the stem, with new seals (apparently) integral to it.

They agreed to replace the face of the watch, repair all parts interal (including a new stem, crystal, and seales), all for $568 + shipping.

Jan said that was probably a real bargain... so I authorized the repairs.

Must say that I've been quite impressed with the level of care, patience, and communication effort from Nesbit's. They've really gone above and beyond for me on this... and won't wind up making any money on the efffort at all.

Just thought a few of you that showed interest in the original story might like to hear how it turned out.

Guess I'm going to wind up with a classic after all... but I am worried that the face may not be absolutely identical to the original. Jan said there was only one face available for my watch, and that while it would still be an original Omega part, that the 12-oclock hash might be a little smaller.

Hope I haven't created what some refer to as a "Frankenwatch" out of it.... but I really didn't know what else to do.

Someone suggested I get a 565 caliber from another watch on Ebay... and swap out only the rusted parts (have someone do that for me, that is). Thought that was a creative solution... but to be honest I just didn't want to prolong this any more....

Will post pictures of the repaired watch when I get it back... in a couple weeks... if anyone's interested. Probably only the outside though... don't think I even want to take the back off once it's fixed up.

- Mac

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Sounds to me like you did the right thing. You will have the old dial as well so providence will not be difficult to establish, and it will be using an OEM dial, so you are fine. Look forward to pics when you get it back!

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Looking forward to the pics.

It is hard to imagine Omega creating a frankenwatch themselves. I would expect that if they didn't have what they considered acceptable "original" parts, they would decline to replace the parts or do the work.

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
Jan is very good - was just talking to her yesterday in fact! I have a big bill coming soon, but it'll be worth it. Last Aug when I was up there I mentioned she might be seeing your watch, sorry they couldn't do it all but it looks like it all worked out.

The watch will not be a franken. There were two generations of SM300 dials and the "Big Triangle" is no longer available. So you'll be getting the other dial, shown here:

The BT, which you're familiar with Mac, looks like this (an RN dial, but also a BT):

For those considering Nesbit's, I've discovered that they have a dial painter on tap who does a very good job. They did this 166.088 for me last summer (no before pics, sorry, but believe me the watch was a piece of junk: movement rusted, dial crazed, etc.):

The price was much more reasonable than a Bienne re-dial (a mate was quoted ca 500USD for a FM dial a couple of years ago), but I was nonplussed when they told me at pickup that their man 'couldn't put Swiss Made on the dial because it wasn't any longer'. I've never heard that line before and anyway "Swiss Made" (in the 60s and 70s anyway) meant the whole watch :-s

As for the quality of their work, here's how they did with my 'Repo Man' PloProf.
Before:

After:

·
Registered
23,402 Posts
Apart from having the non-salvageable part replaced, your watch will have genuine OEM parts in it and will be looking all the better for it too~Cheers!

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
I second Colin's confidence with Nesbits.

They rebuilt my Omega Anakin recently and did an incredible job :-!

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I'm sure you'll be happy with the results. I have a Bulova Accutron that I had to have the dial replaced and the replacement didn't have the "Swiss Made" on the dial as it did before, other than that it was a good match.
Looking forward to hearing more about your watch, and seeing some pictures.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I'm glad you ended up repairing the watch... Make sure you get the original big triangle dial back - and store it somewhere else than in your junk drawer... Looking forward to the pictures of your 'new' watch...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts