WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
This has just arrived today after a long pre-order wait. Bought this after seeing it on KS but it was fully funded by the time I ordered. This is not normally my style, I see to gravitate towards Pilots and Divers, but I was looking for a dress watch that was a bit different so this seemed to fit the bill.
I chose the grey dial black strap combo and really glad I went for this. The grey is a little different. The main attraction for me is the fantastic textured dial and I am very happy with it.

I had forgotten it has a bead blasted case and I am pleasantly surprised, it suits the feel of the watch well. The crown is a little smaller that I imagined it would be but it still has very nice detail

It has a Seagull hand wound movement with 50 hour power reserve. No lume and 20 mm lugs. Case is a shade over 43mm but actually wears really flat on the wrist due to curved case back and steep downward lugs.

It has a display back with nicely engraved movement and inscription on the outer case

Strap is a tad on the thin side but will live with it for now.
Packaging was simple and that's fine with me, no point in spending too much on it.

Initial impressions are very good at £249. I am pleased with it and will enjoy wearing it. I will try to do a more in depth review at a later date.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
27,727 Posts
Very cool. Thanks for sharing. Enjoy it and wear it in the best of health, mate.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Very cool. Thanks for sharing. Enjoy it and wear it in the best of health, mate.
Thanks. Tomorrow it will get first official outing! These KS projects are damaging to the wallet but such good value, how can we say no?

·
Premium Member
40,679 Posts
The dial looks really nice. Quite like the hands on it too.

Interesting case profile too, or is that an optical illusion?

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The dial looks really nice. Quite like the hands on it too.

Interesting case profile too, or is that an optical illusion?
The dial is really great, nice texture and detail. No illusion on the case, it curves under so the outer diameter of the dial is greater than case back making it extremely comfortable to wear. It will easily slip under a shirt cuff. It has domed crystal too so that adds to the feel of plenty of dial to look at

·
Registered
707 Posts
I was an early bird backer for this, then I had second thoughts about the Chinese movement (it was my early days of researching watches and I read mixed opinions about them) and backed out. But I do love that dial. Congrats.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

·
Registered
864 Posts
Nice watch, I like the semi industrial, art deco dial. The color combination is great the the texturing gives it a lot of character.

Wear it in good health!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I received mine a days after yours....despite some trepidation about having to wind the watch every two days, I actually kind of enjoy the routine every night of winding the watch as a way to slow down. The watch is very pretty and I actually like the blue color. Only a few minor recommendations: a) Thicken the strap leather, b) Add butterfly clasp, and c) The engraving on the back side needed to be smooth down a little (But with wear, it will smooth itself). Marloe-CherwellOct282016.jpg

·
Registered
129 Posts
I was an early bird backer for this, then I had second thoughts about the Chinese movement
I had similar thoughts after backing (so many months ago, it seems...) but I decided to wait and see what arrived.

When my watch arrived it had a fault in the movement - would not wind properly (my suspicion was a broken mainspring or that the spring wasn't correctly attached to the barrel). Oliver at Marloe exchanged it "no questions asked", quickly and efficiently, and I'm happy with the second one. Everything we buy (watch, car, TV) can have a manufacturing fault which might not show up at the QC stage. What is important is how the seller handles this. In contrast to other threads here, slamming ADs and manufacturers for shoddy customer service, I found Marloe (a new, new brand) to be above reproach.

Mistakes will happen, what makes a company stand out is how they handle these inevitable random problems.

The Cherwell, with its Seagull movement, is not going to be a daily wearer for me, so the longevity of the movement isn't really a concern. I backed the KS project all those months ago because I liked the idea of a couple of young Brits bringing mechanical (and handwound) watches to the attention of a new generation of young hipsters who grew up not even wearing watches at all, never mind watches that need winding up every day. (I'm old enough to have grown up before the quartz crisis, and handwound watches just seem natural to me).

My Marloe hasn't had a lot of wrist time, as it arrived at the same time is my "tool-watch mini-grail" - a Damasko DA36 & bracelet....

2016-11-08 07.24.05.jpg

·
Registered
707 Posts
I had similar thoughts after backing (so many months ago, it seems...) but I decided to wait and see what arrived.

When my watch arrived it had a fault in the movement - would not wind properly (my suspicion was a broken mainspring or that the spring wasn't correctly attached to the barrel). Oliver at Marloe exchanged it "no questions asked", quickly and efficiently, and I'm happy with the second one. Everything we buy (watch, car, TV) can have a manufacturing fault which might not show up at the QC stage. What is important is how the seller handles this. In contrast to other threads here, slamming ADs and manufacturers for shoddy customer service, I found Marloe (a new, new brand) to be above reproach.

Mistakes will happen, what makes a company stand out is how they handle these inevitable random problems.

The Cherwell, with its Seagull movement, is not going to be a daily wearer for me, so the longevity of the movement isn't really a concern. I backed the KS project all those months ago because I liked the idea of a couple of young Brits bringing mechanical (and handwound) watches to the attention of a new generation of young hipsters who grew up not even wearing watches at all, never mind watches that need winding up every day. (I'm old enough to have grown up before the quartz crisis, and handwound watches just seem natural to me).

My Marloe hasn't had a lot of wrist time, as it arrived at the same time is my "tool-watch mini-grail" - a Damasko DA36 & bracelet....

View attachment 9868266
That's very well said. I may get a Cherwell in the future.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
For me it's proving to be a very good choice. I really enjoy mine. I see on their website they have 2 more watches lined up and the sneak pics look interesting

·
Registered
279 Posts
Definitely one of the more attractive and unique kickstarter projects. The size with a light dial has definitely scared me away

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
I opted for the blue dial and the butterfly clasp was available at one of the goal levels, so I opted for the black leather with butterfly clasp. It works and looks great! IMG_0181.jpg IMG_0179.jpg

1 - 20 of 24 Posts