WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings. I've been lurking on the Tag forums for a few months now and just recently made a purchase/investment of a cv2017 silver Carrera Tachymeter. I was nervous buying a lightly used 11 month old Tag from ebay but after several emails with the owner and pictures of the warranty card/papers/boxes/watch I finally bit the bullet and won the bid at 1300. I'm sending the payment tonight and should receive it in a few days.
Although I am fairly comfortable that it is genuine, if any of you with a seasoned eye can discern any signs that this watch is a "counterfeit" I'd really appreciate your input. Assuming it's real, I'm super excited and can't wait to get some suggestions on how to care for the watch as I am hoping to keep for a long time. Here are some links to pictures from the listing. I plan on posting pics of it after I get it in hand.

-Louis
(also, any suggestions on straps? I'm thinking black perforated leather strap, but can be easily convinced otherwise. Any great straps to consider for this watch?)

http://i17.ebayimg.com/06/i/001/0e/b0/6698_3.JPG
http://i10.ebayimg.com/04/i/001/0e/b0/674a_3.JPG
http://i3.ebayimg.com/07/i/001/0e/b0/67c8_3.JPG
http://i13.ebayimg.com/04/i/001/0e/b0/65aa_3.JPG

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Crypto. I had bid on a few watches starting a month back. I started off looking at wv211a and wv211b for a nice classic Carrera look. I waited too long on one and lost it at 1100 buy it now. Since then, I started playing around with bidding on tachymeter watches that came with paperwork and seemed legitimate...the brown and silver ones. The brown ones are selling for around 1700 to 1900...so I just thought what the heck and put in a max bid of 1350 just for kicks for the silver tachy. Imagine my surprise when I won! The catch 22 is that now that I won on such a low bid, I worry about authenticity even though the seller has been great about communication. Also...some might not have wanted to bid on a watch with a rubber strap, but I'm okay with spending another 250 or so for another strap.
-Louis

·
Registered
96 Posts
I had the same fears as I picked up a $3400 retail new model Link Chrono for $1600 off the Bay...Got it, and couldnt be more pleased. LNIB with $2800 AD receipt dated last month! Im sure your luck will be just as good!

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Phoneman. That helps to know that others have gone through similar experiences and ended up with a genuine product. Great watch that you won..Congrats!
-Louis

·
Registered
22 Posts
Looks like a gen. I have the same watch but with the metal bracelet.

Good luck with yours!

·
Registered
12 Posts
congrats on your purchase Lchow1, looks awesome! i got mine from an AD as i didnt mind paying a bit extra for the peace of mind. plus i got nice discount as well, so its all good.

personally i prefer the metal bracelet since i dont like the feel of a leather bracelet in summer. but that's just me =D

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
316L, I plan on taking pictures as soon as it comes in. I paid late last night so I"m hoping it'll come in by Wednesday. Any other thoughts/suggestions for straps? I got a recommendation for metal links to ease through the summer heat. Any other thoughts? It comes with a rubber strap...is there any way you can wear anything dressy with that?
-Louis

·
Registered
398 Posts
Granted, it's no Carrera but I pulled the bracelet off my F1 and put on a black leather band with red accent stiching and a deployant. I think it looks great. We'll see if I feel the same way in the summer, but with fall temperatures it's no problem.

I think the Carrera will look fantastic on a rally inspired leather strap with a good deployant. Go for it! :-!

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
For someone who's not exactly known for his handyman work/skills, is swapping out straps fairly easy to do? Any suggestions on where to get a "how to" for dummies?

316L, I actually like the rubber strap too, but need to wear "grown up clothes" when I am in session with clients. Otherwise, I'd just keep the rubber strap and call it a day. By the way...calling it a rubber strap sounds mischevious/dirty for some reason. Anyhow, thanks your for your inputs and comments.
-Louis

·
Banned
1,361 Posts
For someone who's not exactly known for his handyman work/skills, is swapping out straps fairly easy to do? Any suggestions on where to get a "how to" for dummies?

316L, I actually like the rubber strap too, but need to wear "grown up clothes" when I am in session with clients. Otherwise, I'd just keep the rubber strap and call it a day. By the way...calling it a rubber strap sounds mischevious/dirty for some reason. Anyhow, thanks your for your inputs and comments.
-Louis
:rodekaart:-d

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
I have the bracelet and the perforated leather strap for my carrera tachy, taking off the bracelet was a bit of a pain, one side wouldn't budge but its not impossible to take off on your own with correct tools. The perforated leather lets u wear it with a suit or with jeans, I love it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Congrats on your purchase. I bought a new carrera cv2010 on eBay for $1800 with full papers from a guy who won it at his company. Boy did I get lucky. Your watch looks 100% legit and fantastic.

I have the black leather perf. Strap and I recommend you do the same. Very casual but also classy.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Pictures

nice watch! please take pics when it arrives
So it only took one month, but here are some pictures of the tachy. The shots were taken by an idiot photographer (yours truly) and a 6 year old canon that is on her last legs, so be kind.

Unfortunately, I've acquired a kobold that now takes up most of my wrist time so the tachy carrera just sits pretty most of the week on her pillow. Hope you all had a great Thanksgiving!

Attachments

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: Pictures

Wow, I really need to wipe down that table and get a new camera. Any thoughts on the black rubber strap tachy combo? I didn't like it very much at first, but it has definitely grown on me. I will probably be shopping for a brown strap soon, just to change it up soon. Although, the truth is that if the kobold continues to dominate wrist time, I may have to let it go.

Btw, I noticed that my dog is very interested in the red light that emits from my camera right before a picture...she thinks it's a laser pointer and wants to chase it, hence her presence in the chimay picture. Pretty amusing, I must admit.

·
Registered
18,182 Posts

Btw, I noticed that my dog is very interested in the red light that emits from my camera right before a picture...she thinks it's a laser pointer and wants to chase it, hence her presence in the chimay picture. Pretty amusing, I must admit.
I thought the dog was a WIS and wanted the watch... or a boozer and wanted the ale :-d

Nice looking watch. It is hard to take watch pics with a camera that doesn't support good macro zoom...

·
Registered
71 Posts

Good taste in watches and beer. What Kobold did you get? I just received my CV2014 this morning and couldn't be happier with it. Don't let the Carerra sit too long.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts