WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this in an antique shop. I didn't recognise the brand, but it was Swiss, mechanical & cheap, so I bought it :) It's in reasonable condition although the strap is a bit tatty.

The numbers on the dial look a bit 70's to me, but any info an an approximate date would be appreciated. Also, is 421 on the back a model number or movement, again, any info appreciated. The dial is only 30mm diameter, have I bought a ladies watch?

Attachments

·
Registered
7,743 Posts
Definitely a man's watch - ladies' watches were much smaller back then.

Lanco became the main brand used by Langendorf which was acquired by Tissot-Omega round about 1970. It was continued as a brand for a few years, but in the 70's the logo used was a more modern L in a circle. So I think your watch is a 1960's model.

If you search this forum you'll find plenty of Langendorfs and Lancos - it was a large producer with many brands including Lancyl and Larex.

Lanco.jpg

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Agree on changing the strap, but I'd try to find one in that similar color as it looks nice to me.
Really like that logo on the caseback, great attention to detail.

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
I agree with Marrick on this - 1960s not 1970s.

An old company with a long history - for some reason not very collectible, even though they produced in house movements and beautiful watches. They were bought by Omega-Tissot for their modern manufacturing equipment. The name was dropped sometime in the late 1960s and then revived as a lower end brand in the 70s. Probably this is why they don't get the attention they deserve.

Their late in house auto was a wonderful thing.

I have several Lanco - although none with this logo.

·
Registered
7,743 Posts
This shows the later logo:

Lanco naval.JPG

This is the older logo - on the back of a Larex:

I have it on the dial of a Lanco, but no pic at the moment.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Gorgeous Lanco! I inherited mine from my late grandfather. Mine is a 343! I'm not too sure on how old it is!

6222946200_c2a534f1f0_b.jpg

·
Registered
7,743 Posts
Very nice. It looks 50's to me. Merry Christmas.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts