WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just bought some old oris star watch off ebay,
I have a few questions.
First, besides removing that red crap, polishing it/cleaning it and finding a nice strap for it, are there any suggestions for getting the most out of this watch.

second question is, and this might be sort of harder to answer because of personal opinions,

but what level of watch is the Oris brand? Some people seem to say its sort of an Omega level brand, while others say its maybe on the same level as bulova/movado or something.

will wearing an oris give me "street cred" if another watch junkie sees it?

Vintage Oris Star, 25 jewel automatic on eBay.ca (item 320617175218 end time 15-Nov-10 22:04:01 EST)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What is "street cred"? Are you out to impress people?
I meant that in a sort of sarcastic tone,
Im basically asking what people think oris says on the wrist compared to other brands.

if we all bought watches on functionality alone then we'd be wearing soulless cheap japanese quartz watches. So I think its a legitimate question

·
Registered
207 Posts
Hi CzechSanchez,

Purely in my opinion I'd say Oris are definately not on a par with Omega, I think they're lower down the scale, I'd say just below TAG Heuer? So, on a par with Longines? I think most people think Oris are good quality Swiss watches with a good name. Like Longines, Heuer etc etc. Not in Omega league though ;-)

I too am working on a bit of a project, my Oris Star is currently at a watch repairer getting the crown sorted out, plus general clean up.

Let us know how you get on with your vintage Oris Star. It looks good :)

Cheers!
Mark

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
I love Oris (I have 2) but I agree that they are just a notch below Omega.

As for being recognized by another WIS, I'll say this much: If I see someone else wearing an Oris (has happened only once) I know that that person has to know a bit about watches, since it is a brand that is not that common. A nice conversation will usually follow after meeting a fellow Oris owner.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts