WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was listening to Kevin O'leary on youtube and he talked about watches as investments. My entire life I always try to buy used things that wont depreciate any further, and maybe go up a little in value. Pinball machines, nice tools, some cars, etc.. I never thought about it with watches. Ive always wanted a nice watch. When I was younger I owned a fake sub mariner and a fake movado. The last several years I wore an apple watch and well im tired of it. Kevin talked about a GS superman and I fell in love with it. For the last two weeks Ive been reading up on GS and all the different models and movement. Went to a store today and tried on several including the superman.

The superman is absolutely beautiful but my gut said it wasnt the right "first" watch. Then I tried on the sbgh271, love the green and gold. It also didnt feel like a good first watch. I wanted a smooth second hand which I know is weird and they had a winter with the spring drive. Loved the smooth second hand but felt the dial was a bit too dark. They had a snowflake but was sold already and knew it was the right one. I ended up finding a used but unworn one for $4,500 and couldnt help myself. I should have it by Friday. Even though its not a limited edition I feel the value shouldnt depreciate that much further. Who knows maybe I got a decent deal and I can make some money on it in the long run or break even.

Is it a problem if im already planning on my next two watches to buy? When I do tell my wife I bought this one? Im leaning towards never....

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
You're going to get a lot of flak. Good luck, and congrats.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Congrats! A beautiful watch and astounding piece for your first watch. My personal view is that I'd be wary of looking at watches as anything other than depreciating assets. Maybe I'm missing something there, but that's my risk profile. As for telling your wife, I can't really advise there! It depends on your relationship. If I told my wife about my watch purchases, shed would probably just cut me off and move onto something she actually wants to talk about!

As @sticky said, we need pictures!

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
Congrats on your Snowflake! Post pics when it comes in!

I can definitely understand wanting your expensive piece to retain value, especially if its a big purchase for you; but as many others here have said before, watches are not a good "investment" and you shouldn't go into a purchase solely thinking about what you can sell it for later because the truth is except in some edge cases cough Rolex cough most pieces will depreciate from their original sale price, and thats totally ok as long as you're enjoying them!

If you bump or nick your watch and your first thought is '**** there goes my resale value' then you might be in it for the wrong reasons.

My opinion - Dont worry about what it's worth. Wear it, enjoy the heck out of it, and be careful because it's a crazy rabbit hole. I never thought Id own a watch that cost more than a few hundred bucks, but here I am along with the rest of you WISs

Reminder - post pics, we like pics.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts