WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Tag aqua racer ,bulova open heart,ball fireman victory.
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi just had the Seiko 5 suits black mesh braclet ,just noticed on some pics it's says made in Japan on bottom of dial and some not ,any info guys it's my first Seiko.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Some are and some aren't.
The Japanese domestic market (JDM) models are usually made in Japan, and it says so on the dial. You can distinguish them by the model number. The last letter is J, followed by a digit. The international models are denoted by the letter K. If you buy from an authorized dealer outside Japan, you'll be getting the K-version.
Both are equally good.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Don't have the link but J and K doesn't mean much **** anymore...Grand Seiko excluded of course.

"JDM" is almost as vague now as 'Swiss Made' on the dial. If Invicta can "make" $500 Swiss made watches, why can't Seiko make "JDM" watches either? Last I read was 'jdm' only means that x amount of manufacturing was done in Japan so technically, a JDM watch can have parts made in China (dial/case/movement, etc) but cased in Japan and that's good enough to throw a "JDM" on the dial and increase the retail price by another $100.

And people flocking to the JDM edition thinking they are getting a "premium" built compared to the K version. I've owned plethora of Seikos back in the day (prior to getting my Breitling) and owned jdm and K versions and NOT ONCE I found any difference in either quality or reliability in one or the other.

Reactions: Ricco77

·
Registered
45 Posts
JDM is a therm that describes the target market, whether SWISS MADE is something else. In order to be legible for the swiss made label, 60 % of the parts cost of the watch should be made in Switzerland. AFAIK, Made in Japan label is not bound to any value of parts, and just means that the watch was manufactured in one of the Seiko factories located in Japan.

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
Hard to tell for sure where it's made, and in the end it doesn't matter anyway.

·
Registered
122 Posts
My new 5KX has ‘Movt Japan’ on the dial and caseback. I bought it directly from Seiko USA and the model number is SRPD51P9. I guess the P means for sale in USA? It doesn’t have a J or K in the model number.
I didn’t know there were new Seiko 5’s with Made in Japan on the dial.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
702 Posts
My new 5KX has ‘Movt Japan’ on the dial and caseback. I bought it directly from Seiko USA and the model number is SRPD51P9. I guess the P means for sale in USA? It doesn’t have a J or K in the model number.
I didn’t know there were new Seiko 5’s with Made in Japan on the dial.

I was gonna say I have one I bought form Macy's and the dial and case back say the same as yours so basically there are 3 dials, the ones that just say 4R36-whatever, movt Japan and made in Japan.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I was gonna say I have one I bought form Macy's and the dial and case back say the same as yours so basically there are 3 dials, the ones that just say 4R36-whatever, movt Japan and made in Japan.
I think for watches designed for sale in the US the final assembly location has to be indicated. I have a feeling, just my opinion, that Seiko would never want the dial to say ‘Movt China’ for example. So they do what they need to in order to put ‘Movt Japan’ on the dial. The band has ‘Stainless Steel-B Band China’ on the clasp. They probably aren’t as concerned about the bracelet.
In any case, it’s cool to know there are at least 3 variations.

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
I think for watches designed for sale in the US the final assembly location has to be indicated. I have a feeling, just my opinion, that Seiko would never want the dial to say ‘Movt China’ for example. So they do what they need to in order to put ‘Movt Japan’ on the dial. The band has ‘Stainless Steel-B Band China’ on the clasp. They probably aren’t as concerned about the bracelet.
In any case, it’s cool to know there are at least 3 variations.

You are right. US market products must have country of origin on the item. Countries in the Middle East have to have country of origin for the actual company on it (Hence the SKX007J/SKX009J/SKX011J which are not made in Japan but have to list where the company is)

I am not sure if any Seiko watches have a made in China on the dial but several of them have Made In China on the case back (the Seiko SNJ025 Arnie and its brothers have Made In China on the case back. This probably means they are made totally in China.

To be honest, I don't see the real difference between a lower end Seiko made in China or a Seiko made in Malaysia, Singapore or Japan. All of them are going to have some little misalignment in something but will reliably keep time

·
Premium Member
66,411 Posts
It may never have seen the shores of the Land Of The Rising Sun but as a majority of lower end Seikos come from outside Japan - probably not.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts