WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone clears something up for me.
I have owned many gen watches (and even fakes and Seikos and Timexes).
Now, my gens were Seamaster, Tag Exclusive, vintage Omega and even Gruen, Longines, Tudor:many).
Now here is my confusion.

I am now the proud owner of a Breitling Colt auto and just out of curiosity and maybe a bit of greed, I posted the watch up for sale or trade and most people gave me an attitude that my watc was not that much of a watch, not that great so they would try to low ball me an offer and even one board member from anothe forum turned down a trade for his once broken refurbished full size Speedmaster that was dropped and had to be fixed (with hands missing lume). My Colt is from 2002, his moonwatch from 1990??

Now, this is what is screwing me up: in the past I could sell a fake in seconds or any of my gens for the same price I bought them for and even sometimes for a small profit.
This time, with this rather beautiful Colt, I cant seem to even intice to buy it at the asking price ($880 US)??? Or even trade it for a used repaired by a non-AD Speedy??

What the heck is wrong with my watch?? Did i buy garbage?

Did I overpay for it??

In person, this Breitling is awesome and a super eye grabber.

Please clear this up for me!!

Here is a photo.

Lucien

·
Registered
157 Posts
I had almost the same problems when I tried to sell my Colt - the newer one though (42mm, bought Oct. 2005). It was a GREAT watch, but some people are way too greedy IMO. Luckily I had time, so I didn't have to sell it to one of those lowballers (one offered me 900$ for a watch that cost over 2000... imagine that).
After some time I sold it off for about 1500 then (to the UK).

·
Registered
955 Posts
First of all, I can't tell if you overpaid, because you didn't tell us the original price. That aside, IMO the trend for that type of sport watch is the larger size, isn't he 2002 the smaller 38mm case? I also think that you probably won't be able to sell, or trade a Colt or SO for what they are worth if that makes any sense. I was thinking about selling my 04 SO when I realized that the replacement value, from a craftsmanship standpoint, was more than I could get on a sale.

As for selling a rep, I can't see how those could hold their value at all, but I will take your word on it. Most watches are like a new car, they drop in re-sale value the moment you drive off the lot. Look around the net, and if you are comparable to market, just wait it out for a Breitling enthusiast.

A co-worker of mine is also a Breitling enthusiast and loves his Colt, so they are out there! To me $900 with boxes and papers seems right for an asking price, but am not an expert.

Good luck.

·
Banned
3,514 Posts
I think you bought a great watch but if you want to sell it take your time.

by-the-by Speedies do not seem to suffer as they get older (in fact the price may well go up). You would I think be very hard pressed to get a good one under £500.

best

Al

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
hi Lucien,

I think you are bumping up against several factors.

1- When trying to sell anything, you are always going to find a group that will low ball hoping to find a bargain. They have a limit and that's as far as they will go. However, that does rationalize insulting behavior. I have been known to low ball auctions, most of the time it doesn't work. But it did eventually get me a Colt for $250. But, I never insulted the seller.

2- The Colt being on the entry level side of the Breitling family seems to command less on resale. If you check ebay auctions $600-$700 seems to be a common range for auctions to close. A well cared for, recently serviced watch with all papers may go closer to the $900 you're looking for. In the end, the price will be determined by the market. Who's looking, number of Colts available for sale etc.

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
I am now the proud owner of a Breitling Colt auto and just out of curiosity and maybe a bit of greed, I posted the watch up for sale or trade and most people gave me an attitude that my watc was not that much of a watch, not that great so they would try to low ball me an offer and even one board member from anothe forum turned down a trade for his once broken refurbished full size Speedmaster that was dropped and had to be fixed (with hands missing lume). My Colt is from 2002, his moonwatch from 1990??
Breitlings tend to go in for a fair amount of abuse from watch snobs, oftentimes Omega owners who mistakenly think they are wearing haute horologie or something. Not that I want to start an argument or anything :).

Breitling also brings out the worst in watch enthusiasts because of the fairly strident styling and plentiful use of polished steel (that's a beautiful shot, by the way, I thought it was a Cockpit at first) and the fact that Breitling fits souped-up ETA movements instead of the custom movements normally fitted to watches, er, twice their price. So, combine that with the hoary old technique of dissing your wares in order to beat you into accepting a low offer, and you have a recipe for a Breitling beating.

Someone out there wants your watch, as long as you're priced it right. Tell everyone else to go screw themselves and quit wasting your time. I speak as I find :)

·
Registered
340 Posts
Why do you want to sell it? Don't ! :-D

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, I did notice that many people have a distaste or snobby attitude toward Breitlings. I always thought this lousy attitude was reserved for Tag Heuer but I needed to be a Breitling owner to find out otherwise. I personally do not buy this hogwash though: I feel Breilting is as good as any mid grade Swiss brands like Omega, Ori, Sinn,etc.
As far as the ETA issue, I know that many Swiss brands also use generic ETA's that will be modified in- house...in fact, doesn't Omega do that as well?? And Tag Heuer? And Movado? and others??

There is nothing wrong with ETA workhorse like 2824,2892 and the likes: they are straight forward movements and easy enough to service (less costly too).
Watch snobs are like car snobs: they want more than what you have and always strive to be above you, and nothing else matters.
My Colt is a fine watch. I have owned two Seamasters and a few Tags and other cheaper Swiss (Tissot) and the Colt is more than I need. Yes, it is flashy with its glossy shine but it is not over the top like some other models and brands I have seen (the Mont Blanc Timewalkers)...

I think many people will always see your watch as not as good as what they wear so that their ego may remain safe and happy. i, for one, am not like that. After all the years I have bought and sold and traded all kinds of watches, i find that personal taste will over rule any other criteria you put a watch against. My personal preferences tell me that the Colt is OK.
Nothing to feel inadequate about,anyways.
Thanks for the wise comments,guys.

LL

Breitlings tend to go in for a fair amount of abuse from watch snobs, oftentimes Omega owners who mistakenly think they are wearing haute horologie or something. Not that I want to start an argument or anything :).

Breitling also brings out the worst in watch enthusiasts because of the fairly strident styling and plentiful use of polished steel (that's a beautiful shot, by the way, I thought it was a Cockpit at first) and the fact that Breitling fits souped-up ETA movements instead of the custom movements normally fitted to watches, er, twice their price. So, combine that with the hoary old technique of dissing your wares in order to beat you into accepting a low offer, and you have a recipe for a Breitling beating.

Someone out there wants your watch, as long as you're priced it right. Tell everyone else to go screw themselves and quit wasting your time. I speak as I find :)

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Yes, I did notice that many people have a distaste or snobby attitude toward Breitlings. I always thought this lousy attitude was reserved for Tag Heuer but I needed to be a Breitling owner to find out otherwise.
Every single brand has its critics and detractors. Breitling are often described as blingy and/or too common by owners of competing watches. Omega owners are being described as wannabes by some Rolex owners, the latter being snobbed by Lange or PP owners. There is no end to this kind of nonsense.

True watch enthusiasts buy the timepieces they like, regardless of their brand. And if some idiots are stupid enough to compare dick sizes, it's their problem and not ours...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts