WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Evening chaps!

I've been a little quiet of late.... as work and 'saving' has got in the way of the addiction!

The saving hit a little snag today when I did a quick search of the bay on my Lunch break and spotted this newly listed beauty (In need of some tlc...) with a very reasonable 'Buy it Now' price of £75.... too reasonable to ignore imo (Im sure some of you will think im mad)

Description does not fill me with much confidence:

on offer is a very nice and complete trench watch,
although needing attention as overwound it would make a nice addition to any collector,
small chip to edge of enamel dial between 2-3,glass has some scratches,small dent to back of case,
pin set working ok but pin seems a little loose,
diameter of watch is 32mm excluding lugs and crown,all original hands present,no hallmarks to outer case but believe it to be silver(marks may be internal),presented to a 2nd lieut of the 25th royal fusiliers frontiersmen battalion by the legion of frontiersmen yorkshire command,bradford sub-unit on the 29th of may 1916.
thank you for looking.

Hopefully here tomorrow, if not Tuesday.

Font:

Borgel cased (assumed).... with interesting pin set location - no idea of the movement and no movement pics!

Back - where the added interest (and value) lies:

Bargain - I think so!

Thoughts/info very much welcomed at this stage.... proper pics to follow on its arrival!

Marc

·
Registered
653 Posts
Never boring and what a great spot Marc!

It looks a very nice watch indeed, well it will be when you've finished with it :)

I just did a quick google on the Frontiersmen, a real colourful bunch indeed by the sound of it, I reckon you'll spend nearly as much time reading up on them as on restoring the watch!!

I'm already looking forward to your future posts on this real piece of history.

·
Registered
7,743 Posts
Nice buy. I'd have snapped it up if I'd seen it.;-)

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Nice catch. Looking forward to some more pictures when you have it in-hand. I like the bit of history that engraving adds.

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers guys,

very much looking forward to seeing whats inside (hoping a movement and not just rust......)

Nice buy. I'd have snapped it up if I'd seen it.;-)
I have no doubt ;-)

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A real gem of a trench watch, congrats.
An 'unpolished gem'..... Just the way I like them!

The more I look at it, the more I think 'what a catch'

Anyone else think I'm building this up just to have my dreams crushed on arrival....

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Sparcster, even if this watch contains a cheap cylinder movement with a mangled hairspring
and worn pivots it is still a gem of a watch...but if your dreams are crushed then send it to me
and I'll reimburse your costs.

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sparcster, even if this watch contains a cheap cylinder movement with a mangled hairspring
and worn pivots it is still a gem of a watch...but if your dreams are crushed then send it to me
and I'll reimburse your costs.
Radger, you are too kind!

I have plenty of crushed dreams sat in a drawer which I would be more than happy for you to reimburse me for?

Have you seen many borgels with this pin set arrangement? Can only find reference to a Longines Borgel like this after a quick google!

Could be one of many different brand.... Looking forward to finding out!

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if it were a Longines, I have one with this topside pinset.
If it's a guessing game then I'm going with Baume.

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It is also my guess.... As I say, not much else to go on!

We will see!

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
wondering if it had arrived yet
Hi Joe,

Some quick pics taken last night.... not had a chance to upload them yet... tonight!?

Think it will clean up a treat..... could have guessed the movement would be a Font (I think) and signed S.S. & Co (Stauffer) with a Charles Nicolet case. Balance is good... fully wound (stem is solid) but not ticking...

Marc

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Here it is - as arrived!

The bezel had been forced off, which I guess is what cause the little chip on the dial near 3..... I also guess that the bezel has been prized offf, as it could not rotate. The pin set pin has been replaced with a pin which is too long... as such, you have to pull the pin out, as well as the crown! Crystal is all wrong..

The case has a small dink in the back... probably could smooth this out.... but does not really offend me.. so may stay. Important thing is the inscription is very clean and clear!

As mentioned above, the Borgel case is signed C.N. for the sponsor Charles Nicolet (as would be expected on a Staufer watch) with the London import mark and date letter 't' for 1914/15.... which ties in with the inscription.

The movement looks very clean and is clearly signed 'swiss made' and S.S & Co. for Staufer Son and Co. Not removed the dial yet to see if there are any other marks, but looks like a 15 jewel Font movement to me.....

All in all, very very happy with the watch... has some nice original features - like the onion crown....and I guess the original reciepient must have done something right/good to be given such a watch.... will need to do some research!!

Any other thoughts/info very much welcomed...

Reactions: Marrick
1 - 20 of 31 Posts