WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just completed this custom order and I'm really liking how it's turned out. Here were the requested specs:

26mm/26mm
145mm/95mm (yes he's got a huge wrist)
6mm thick (I had to use 3 layers of 4/5 oz leather to make that happen)

Here are the phots that I took in a step by step fashion. Hope you enjoy:

First cut long side:

Short side cut and glued:

Check for thickness:

Starting to look like a watch strap:

Cut the groves for the stitching and burnish the edges (this give the straps a much more finely finished look):

Stitching holes punched and leather oiled to soften the leather (at 6mm, it'll need softening!!):

Back side now it's ready to start the dying process:

Antique staining this is the first step of a muti stage color buildup:

Backside starting to look like it's got some age:):

Dye job completed:

First stitch course completed:

Here is the Completed strap:

Shot with flash to try to get the dept of color:

Thanks for looking. I'm running a special for the 1st 10 custome strap orders I recieve form WUS members. PM me for details.

John

·
Registered
313 Posts
Very2 nice, really enjoy the writeup, love the dye job, you make the buildup look so simple!! Quick question, did you have to bevel the edges before burnishing it?

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very2 nice, really enjoy the writeup, love the dye job, you make the buildup look so simple!! Quick question, did you have to bevel the edges before burnishing it?
No, No beveling. That would just remove the leather skin, which in turn will promote freying. What you want to do is bend the "skin" around the edge and compress the edges to make them firmer. You do this by weting the leather and running a burnishing tool over the edge to compress and rount the edge. Then go back of the edge with bees wax, or edge kote or a clear edge finisher such as Gum Tragacanth.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
:-!Beautiful work! I've got you bookmarked. I don't mean to be tacky or disrespectful, but could you give us a ballpark figure on the cost?:thanks

·
Banned
2,637 Posts
Daddy-O you defintiely filled in some of the blanks I had about thinking of building my own straps. Amazing work and a personal "thank you" from me.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
:-!Beautiful work! I've got you bookmarked. I don't mean to be tacky or disrespectful, but could you give us a ballpark figure on the cost?:thanks
I'm getting ready to list a bunch of straps for sale in the next week. Typically my prices are between $125-$155 depending on the strap, but I'm going to be running a special for the first 10 straps ordered by WUS members of $95. Keep an eye open on the sales forum in the next few days. Cheers!

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I'm getting ready to list a bunch of straps for sale in the next week. Typically my prices are between $125-$155 depending on the strap, but I'm going to be running a special for the first 10 straps ordered by WUS members of $95. Keep an eye open on the sales forum in the next few days. Cheers!
Thanks for the reply. I've still got you bookmarked. I will be watching:thanks

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Care to share some info?

What is the name of tools you're using to line and punch the holes?

·
Banned
1,443 Posts
Are you using top grain; full grain; etc. ?

IMO -$155 is way too much money for this product. You would make more money if you lowered your prices, try $75 . . .
I am curious how you justify this price? It does not look like you are using any exotic leather/ materials; just b /c something is handmade does not necessarily make it a superior product.

For example -Steinhart sells straps of arguably equal or better quality for much less . . .

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Are you using top grain; full grain; etc. ?

IMO -$155 is way too much money for this product. You would make more money if you lowered your prices, try $75 . . .
How do you justify this price? It does not look like you are using any exotic leather/ materials; just b /c something is handmade does not make it a superior product.

For example -Steinhart sells straps of arguably equal or better quality for much less . . .

Maybe I am missing something, but I am tired of people trying to pass off dirt for diamonds.
Custom made? Sometimes you have special watches that generic straps look ugly on. Sometimes people are allergic to some kind of leather. Sometimes you want a special look for a special watch.

"Where there is demand - there is offer." The one and the only rule of economy.

·
Registered
313 Posts
His leather is vegetable tanned as stated by the creator and the appearance of the pink colour. AFAIK this type of leather is a full grain, which is hot plated both sides to give smooth finish.

This kind of leather is extremely durable (as used in saddlery industry), I've personally chuck a veg-tanned leather product inside my washing machine and sun dry it for days (i forgot to pick it up), it comes out looking better than ever!!

·
Banned
1,443 Posts
. . .

1 - 20 of 43 Posts