WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Or rather this old Longines went missing 5 months ago just after I got it home so I never got to take a closer look. My old mother has been bitten by the vintage watch bug as well so she likes to go through my boxes and see if she can find anything of interest. Well she did...

P7288300.jpg
Poor thing has lost much of it's looks but it's got some nice hands. It's got a wonderful case with probably the nicest snap on back I have seen as it's hard to pop off but snaps on like a dream with very little effort.

P7288305.jpg
I think it's a 12L with a early sweep second conversion and the serial number dates the movement to 1938. It is a small watch (just over 30mm) so I don't think it will be worth that much even if I get it restored but this is my first 1930's Longines as my other 11 are all from the 1940's so for me it's a bit special.

My Longines collection is also special in that I got them all for junk change but I guess I have sucked the local market dry now as I haven't found one since this watch.

It's not in that good working order as it's dirty and has got coloring to some of the bridges and the balance staff it broken but I love it!

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Glad you ran back across it!!

·
Registered
101 Posts
That looks like a very worthy restoration project.

The one thing that worries me , looking at your photos, is that the crown is very very close to the case edge and I would be concerned about the crown rubbing on the case. Apart from that, please do go for it and get a replacement balance staff and put that piece of horological history back into working order where it belongs.

David

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It would be nice to get it back in shape and now after the summer I'm going to start to have some of my watches restored but as this cost a lot of money I must take them one at a time. A few redails are needed and I will try out different companies and see what they can do.

·
Registered
18,166 Posts
Rarely is a Longines not worth fixing!! :)

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Yes but the smaller size worries me. I guess it will cost somewhere in the $250 range if not more to fix it and I just don't think if it will sell for that.

I will do it though. :)

This is the reason I refuse to pay to much for a watch like this as the true cost comes later.

·
Registered
18,166 Posts
Yes but the smaller size worries me. I guess it will cost somewhere in the $250 range if not more to fix it and I just don't think if it will sell for that.

I will do it though. :)

This is the reason I refuse to pay to much for a watch like this as the true cost comes later.
I don't remember ever selling a watch so what they sell for means little to me. But you are spot on -- the true cost of ownership is very related to the 'after buying' costs... one of the reasons I collect vintage quartz! :-d

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't remember ever selling a watch so what they sell for means little to me. But you are spot on -- the true cost of ownership is very related to the 'after buying' costs... one of the reasons I collect vintage quartz! :-d
I have sold over 300 watches now and only quartz. ;-)

It only means I like them a lot but I have slowly learnt to fix up mechanical watches as well and now it's time to sell some of them as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts