WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked it up for a decent deal on ebay, came with all papers and original box. Seems it was first picked up in Japan. Taking it to a local watch smith or maybe the Omega boutique store to see if it's in decent condition, cosmetically it seems close to perfect with the exception of some superficial marks on the clasp.

Question:

Can't go in depth into the manual right now because I'm at work but is the chronograph supposed to keep moving unless I pull on the crown?

The Top button seems to be a pause and the lower button seems to be a reset... is there anything I should know about other functions of the watch besides the Tachymeter?

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Well for a start you should know that the tachymeter is the scale around the outside or bezel of the watch. The push buttons start and stop the Chronograph (the big, central seconds hand and the other two sub dials). Not sure about the reduced but on the full sized version the seconds hand (on a sub-dial) does not stop even when the crown is pulled out (known as non-hacking).

Look forward to getting home, getting the manual out and enjoy learning about your new watch and wear it in good health. |>

·
Registered
10,262 Posts
Not sure about the reduced but on the full sized version the seconds hand (on a sub-dial) does not stop even when the crown is pulled out (known as non-hacking).
It does stop on the reduced. I can confirm this one.

GavH, I think you got all the function worked out. Show us some picture of your new toy please :-!

Oh, and get yourself a nice leather strap. Trust me, you will like the look of it on leather.

Oh, and if you want to see all the functions, go to this link;
http://www.omegawatches.com/index.php?id=305&ref=35105000&no_cache=1#
and click on 'see it in real time'
Then you can start pushing the buttons on the website to see if your chrono works the same way.b-)

PS
if any web-nerds know how I can download this java script for my desktop (PC) please share (pm me)

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, I'll be stopping by the Omega boutique/factory store today on the way home on 5th and 55th st..

·
Registered
10,262 Posts
Thanks guys, I'll be stopping by the Omega boutique/factory store today on the way home on 5th and 55th st..
I know I'm being over precautions but if you think they are going to open it you might want to show the storesperson the condition BEFORE they take it behind the counter. Just in case it comes back with toolmarks.

Once you wear it for a few days, I'll been keen to hear how many sec +/- it keeps per 24 hours.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Small thing I just noticed, seems to be a tiny omega watermark like mark on the hesalite right dead center if viewed at a certain angle.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Small thing I just noticed, seems to be a tiny omega watermark like mark on the hesalite right dead center if viewed at a certain angle.
Yes, the Omega symbol is in fact on the underside of the crystal so it won't polish out when you get rid of the inevitable scratches.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
The Omega store is extremely nice, make sure to wear a suit if you go, it feels fancier than most jewelry stores. They have a dedicated upstairs for maintenance with guys in lab coats, security guards dressed like body guards, and a secured working area.

A technician with some sort of eye tool happily took the watch to the back to get it diagnosed by some machine. I don't think it was even opened as they were back out in about five or ten minutes. Apparently this is a special diagnosis machine that they use. The machine indicated the watch was in excellent shape mechanically. I think it's a keeper.

They also resized the watch for free. Good guy. Told me I made an amazing deal especially with all the original docs, boxes, and open (stamped) warranty card.

I had a chance to check out a Seamaster Pro blue bezel and a Planet Ocean orange bezel... I thought I'd have buyer's remorse but I think I'm extremely happy with my purchase but may pick up the Seamaster in the near future... IE next week. Will be using the FAD, as the Omega store does not discount, period.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So just to be clear, it doesn't seem like the chronograph ever stops in normal operation with the crown down? I can reset the minute/hour dials but the seconds always seems to be going?

So this also means that the chronograph continuously keeps going in normal operation?

·
Registered
10,262 Posts
The Omega store is extremely nice, make sure to wear a suit if you go, it feels fancier than most jewelry stores.
I see your point about wearing a suit... I agree with you that in some stores you get treated on what you wear. In theory I do however disagree with this notion. Customer service should not be based on what you are wearing, how you look etc. The only customers who should ever get priority service are repeat customers etc. I also noticed that ADs treat me better now that I wear an Omega then before I wore one. :roll: Now with the 'credit crisis' I expect to see better service around as people are more focused on sales and keeping their employment.

I had a chance to check out a Seamaster Pro blue bezel and a Planet Ocean orange bezel... I thought I'd have buyer's remorse but I think I'm extremely happy with my purchase but may pick up the Seamaster in the near future... IE next week. Will be using the FAD, as the Omega store does not discount, period.
Any Omega lover should get a Seamaster for their collection ;-). I got the quartz SMP because I like to have one watch thats accurate all the time, plus the extra bonus is its less expensive. If you do go for quartz, you might as well buy used again... in my opinion not much can go wrong with a quartz.

So just to be clear, it doesn't seem like the chronograph ever stops in normal operation with the crown down? I can reset the minute/hour dials but the seconds always seems to be going?

So this also means that the chronograph continuously keeps going in normal operation?
The chronograph second hand is the BIG second hand on the watch. The SMALL second hand on the watch is the 'normal' seconds counter which will only stop if the crown is pulled out to set the speedmaster reduced automatics time.

I too got confused years ago when I bought my first Seiko chrono.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Wow, okay. That makes some sense I guess. So the regular second hand like that of a clock is actually for the chronograph and the subdial second hand is for the actual watch.

So if I measure the accuracy of the big second hand over a 24 hour period, I'm really just measuring the accuracy of only the chronograph.

I guess I have to be very careful in pulling the crown out at the exact right moment to make sure I sync up with an atomic clock correctly if I want to measure how off I am seconds wise.

Do I need to tape up the bezel if I decide to use polywatch in the future?

I'm using: http://tycho.usno.navy.mil/simpletime.html

Is there a better resource?

·
Registered
10,262 Posts
Do I need to tape up the bezel if I decide to use polywatch in the future?
I didnt tape up the Bezel but I was careful when I used it. Tell you the truth I'm not sure what would happen if Polywatch got onto the bezel.

I'm using: http://tycho.usno.navy.mil/simpletime.html

Is there a better resource?
Even though I'm in Australia I use www.time.gov Your one does seam pretty good though. I just ran both side by side and they have the same sync. I might use yours from now on... loads quicker :thanks

Plus I wouldnt worry about setting your watch to the exact second. Its an Automatic and will no doubt loose or gain a few seconds each day. Its normal for an Automatic to do so. If your an accuracy nut, like me, get a quartz watch as your second Omega. I got the Blue Bond Quartz and I love it, wouldn't have it any other way. Mechanicals are more collectable to most, me too (I'll keep buying mechanical watches from now on), yet the quartz has its place in my watch family.

Let me know how much your watch gains or looses when you check in 24 hours time. I'll be interested to compare it to mine.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yeah, first thing to do is drop the idea of pinpoint accuracy. Set the watch around 3 minutes slow, that'll give you 6 minutes of leeway where you'll be within 3 minutes of the actual time. If your watch runs 10 seconds fast a day, that'll give you two months before you need to reset your watch. In the big scheme, it doesn't matter. Everybody else has a different time on their watch no matter how accurate it is, heck, I've even seen different times on cell phones between different providers. So even with a super accurate watch, you'll always be a few minutes off from others so it's nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
10,262 Posts
Yeah, first thing to do is drop the idea of pinpoint accuracy. Set the watch around 3 minutes slow, that'll give you 6 minutes of leeway where you'll be within 3 minutes of the actual time. If your watch runs 10 seconds fast a day, that'll give you two months before you need to reset your watch. In the big scheme, it doesn't matter. Everybody else has a different time on their watch no matter how accurate it is, heck, I've even seen different times on cell phones between different providers. So even with a super accurate watch, you'll always be a few minutes off from others so it's nothing to worry about.
Mine runs about 5-8 secs fast a day. All I do is every two or three days pull the crown out for 10 seconds or do. Or I look at my quartz watch, pull out the crown on the speedy and when it catches up, push it back in. If the speedy runs slow, its more of a pain.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hmmm Brasso or Polywatch, is one superior or safer?

Yeah, thanks guys I do realize it's not going to be super accurate but I just wanted to see how far the watch is off right now from COSC to see if it needs any regulation in the future.

Seems to be about 2 seconds behind so far in hour 11.

·
Registered
10,262 Posts
Hmmm Brasso or Polywatch, is one superior or safer?

Yeah, thanks guys I do realize it's not going to be super accurate but I just wanted to see how far the watch is off right now from COSC to see if it needs any regulation in the future.

Seems to be about 2 seconds behind so far in hour 11.
If its running slow, like mine did, set it fast 20-30 secs and then reset it weekly. Or do what I did, get it regulated, cost me $30 and now runs fast. Much better its running faster then slower.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Honestly if it's only running 4-6 seconds slow from everyday wear, I don't mind at all resetting it ever few weeks. Let's say 5 seconds slow a day, that's about a minute over 2 weeks, not the end of the world for me.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts